Finally! My 1st solo cruise!

copnlpn2

After 14+ cruises, I'm finally taking my first solo cruise, sailing Dec. 4 aboard my favorite ship, RCCL's Navigator of the Seas.

Each cruise that I took with family and friends has been wonderful, but on every cruise I thought about cruising solo...just to have the total freedom to do and go as I please.

Lots of folks have asked me if I'm scared, or worried or concerned I'll be "lonely." It's hard to explain to them just how worry-free and excited I am. They're feeling sorry for me, while I can hardly wait to sail solo.

I'll continue to sail with my family and friends, but I've made myself a promise to do at least one solo cruise each year.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to enlighten me!

Congratulations!!!! You're going to LOVE it!!! I've cruised solo approximately 8 times and really enjoy it. In fact, I am no longer able to go with anyone else. Sorry, I can't give you many tips UNLESS you're a cabin hermit like me. I always book a balcony and sit on it and read ALOT. I also stay in and order room service alot.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I think having a balcony to sit and relax on is nice- because I went solo on my last cruise I forced myself to be out maybe too much at times and probably should have ordered room service a few times to veg out. After all, that should be the point of a vacation, to have time to relax and not feel obligated to do anything,

I was pretty upfront with people and told them I booked it 2 weeks before as I found a last minute special and no one I knew could get out of work. It was true and did not illicit any awkward response from people.

I booked a balcony just so I could chill out there by myself. I really lucked out because I was digging through my cruising stuff and came across a Next Cruise certificate that I bought in 2009! That means I can take advantage of any price drrops right up to the time of sailing.

Since I'm cruising in December, I'll be getting double points. I'm trying to restrain myself from changing my current D1 cabin to the JS right next door. The triple credits would put me really close to D+, but my common sense tells me to save my money.

I'm currently signed up for Traditional Dining at 8:30, but I'm considering My Time Dining. I don't mind eating alone if I'm at a table for one or two, but think it would be odd to be seated at a table for 6-8 people and no-one but me showed up some night.

I've sailed on the Navigator a few times, I know the ship and several crew members very well. That's why I chose the Navigator for my first solo cruise...

Since I'm cruising in December, I'll be getting double points. I'm trying to restrain myself from changing my current D1 cabin to the JS right next door. The triple credits would put me really close to D+, but my common sense tells me to save my money. QUOTE]

Is it with Royal Caribbean that you're getting double points for cruising in December? I wish Celebrity did that as that's when I cruise 80% of the time.

Yes, I'm cruising with RCCl which for the second time is holding its Diamonds in Decembe event. Cruisers Diamond and above receive double points for their cruise, triple points if you cruise in a suite....

I've wanted to try Celebrity and will do so, after I reach Diamond Plus with RCCL - just a couple more cruises and I'll have enought points for D+!

Hi Cindy,:)congrats on the booking. I have sailed solo over 30 times

so its just a part of my being now;) That is how I cruise.

I would say to check the roll call for your cruise. It is a nice way to

meet other folks on your sailing. Not saying you have to do it but you

asked for suggestions.:) I am quite outgoing so meeting people is

not an issue for me. But I believe (just my opinion) that most folks

who cruise are quite friendly....Oh I just re-read your post about

already sailing that same ship before! You know some staff and crew?

That is always nice!

Hope you have a great cruise:)

copnlnp2, I did a solo TA on the Navigator awhile back and it was a great trip. The NOS is a great ship for a solo, especially with your familiarity with the ship and crew. Hope you have a great trip. I had a table for 6 and it was two other couples, another solo and myself. Very nice and interesting people to dine with. Happy Sailing

• 2 weeks later...

I'm taking my first solo next month, Nov. 5 NCL Star. My family has cruised often. My husband passed away 4 years ago, we continued after he died. It's overwhelmingly expensive to take 4-6 of us at a time. It's a real bargain for me, even with the single supplement. I can take whatever excursions I want, and on my 6th trip to Cozumel will FINALLY see Mayan ruins. Yipee! Go, have fun, do what YOU want to do, see what YOU want to see, no waiting for anyone to get ready to get going.

I'm taking my first solo next month, Nov. 5 NCL Star. My family has cruised often. My husband passed away 4 years ago, we continued after he died. It's overwhelmingly expensive to take 4-6 of us at a time. It's a real bargain for me, even with the single supplement. I can take whatever excursions I want, and on my 6th trip to Cozumel will FINALLY see Mayan ruins. Yipee! Go, have fun, do what YOU want to do, see what YOU want to see, no waiting for anyone to get ready to get going.

Hope you have a great trip. Welcome to the solo club. I think you will enjoy the solo trip as the only thing you will have to worry about is you and what you want to do. Enjoy the ruins. Happy Sailing

• 2 weeks later...
After 14+ cruises, I'm finally taking my first solo cruise, sailing Dec. 4 aboard my favorite ship, RCCL's Navigator of the Seas.

Each cruise that I took with family and friends has been wonderful, but on every cruise I thought about cruising solo...just to have the total freedom to do and go as I please.

Lots of folks have asked me if I'm scared, or worried or concerned I'll be "lonely." It's hard to explain to them just how worry-free and excited I am. They're feeling sorry for me, while I can hardly wait to sail solo.

I'll continue to sail with my family and friends, but I've made myself a promise to do at least one solo cruise each year.

If anyone has any tips or suggestions, feel free to enlighten me!

I am doing the same thing Dec 5th on Carnival Ecstasy and can't wait!!!!!!

I'm going on my first solo cruise in 4 days. I'm quite excited.

Enjoy your trip!

Have a wonderful time. Be warned, this is going to cause you to want and do more solo cruises as it gives you a lot of freedom. I will be on my 4th solo cruise on Sunday. Have already been chatting with people on my roll call and plan on attending the Meet&Greet. Don't worry about getting nervous as this is normal. My stomach can get into knots especially on the last night before the cruise. It will soon go away as you walk up the gang plank onto the big ship.

:):):):)

I'm jealous of all these serial solo travelers! LOL I'll be going on my 2nd solo cruise in January and I can hardly wait. It's a 10 night Caribbean cruise from New Jersey and I'm looking forward to some rest and relaxation.

I plan to spend a lot of time sleeping, reading and rejuvenating. I've joined my Roll Call, so I plan to attend the Meet and Greet as well. I had my first solo cruise in September 2010 for my birthday and I loved it. The complete freedom to do as you please, when you please and how you please is addicting!! I have another cruise booked next September, but my friend will be coming with me. She's a great travel partner, so I don't mind, but I do plan to take a solo cruise at least once a year.

Jealous of 30+ solo cruises??? No, I'm absolutely green, green, green with envy!!!!!

Like so many here, I will cruise in the future with family and friends - but I have promised myself that I'll do a solo cruise at least once a year!

I leave tomorrow for Florida and will sail away Sunday aboard the Freedom of the Seas...there's a very large group of us going...just might make my solo cruise look even more appealing before it's all said or done!

Lois - 30+! You're an inspiration.

Thanks for the kind words:) there are others on here with way more

than 30....Darcie probably has close to 100.....:D and she is my

inspiration. So I guess we all pay it forward.;)

Archived