"must do" in Corfu, Dubrovnik, Katakolon, Zadar

ace-j

Hi good people...My wife and I will be taking the Seabourn Quest next month between Venice & Athens...ports include: Zadar, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Kotor, Katakolon & Santorini...we haven't booked any shore excursions yet and could use some advice...thanks so much...

If you read here, and on the Other Ports board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

you will see many comments on excursions. Dubrovnik has extensive discussions on the Other Ports board.

Personally, Corfu is over rated, a good place to just walk around town.

Dubrovnik is the opposite. Not over rated, but a superb place to walk around the town. Wish we spent more time doing just that.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hi good people...My wife and I will be taking the Seabourn Quest next month between Venice & Athens...ports include: Zadar, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Kotor, Katakolon & Santorini...we haven't booked any shore excursions yet and could use some advice...thanks so much...

Corfu: Iwould walk around the town. your ship should have a bus taking you to the town center and picking you up. Otherwise take a taci from the port. Dobroovink: DO NOT MISS WALKING THE OLD WALLED CITY. We toured it in 2009 with our two teenage bosy, it is fantastic. We all loved it. Stopped at a see side cafe for a glass of wine and a "jump off the rockes" into the sea. Fantastic. Katakolon: olympia is fantastic. Santorini: tour the entire Island, wither rent a car or take a private tour. Fantastic.

Hope you enjoy your trip

• Thanks 1

thanks for the tips, my friends... unfortunately, I badly hurt my calf muscle six weeks ago...it's almost fully healed now, but I don't want to exert it too much until the trip...we're planning on doing a lot of walking, but the wall around Dubrovnik has me a bit concerned...

Edited by ace-j

thanks for the tips, my friends... unfortunately, I badly hurt my calf muscle six weeks ago...it's almost fully healed now, but I don't want to exert it too much until the trip...we're planning on doing a lot of walking, but the wall around Dubrovnik has me a bit concerned...

With iffy leg, skip the wall and all its steps, just walk around the old town and go into the churches and monasteries and museums. If you get tired walking, go to a cafe, sit down and have a delicious icecream soda or something else you like and use the cafe's restroom. The people on my cruise, even those young and in good health, who walked the wall were too tired to see anything in the old town, they just took boat rides to the island of Lokrum from the old port in town. I skipped the walls and had a great day-just don't drink the beer on tap- drink your beer out of a bottle.

So sorry to hear about your misfortune, hope it doesn't impinge on your enjoyment of your wonderful itinerary.

In case it's any help I made short videos of Corfu (town), Dubrovnik (walls), Olympia, Athens and Santorini - the links can be found from this http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1191713

All the best, Tony

• 3 weeks later...

ace-j, Thanks for posting -- you've made my research a little easier. My wife and I will be joining the Seabourn Quest in Venice (Suite 917) and continuing on to Ft. Lauderdale. Hope to meet you on board.

ace-j, Thanks for posting -- you've made my research a little easier. My wife and I will be joining the Seabourn Quest in Venice (Suite 917) and continuing on to Ft. Lauderdale. Hope to meet you on board.

After just returning from a cruise on Insignia that visited many of these ports, I recommned these excursions: In Corfu, take a private tour with Dimitris of CorfuTaxiprivate tours. In addtion to the tourist visited highlights, he will take you deep into the countryside to see the authentic old Corfu villages and even old authentic Greeks in traditional dress. He will drop you off near Corfu town so you can explore the town. If you are hungry, he will take you to an authentic taverna for delicious food. His English is impeccable and he is a gentleman. In Dubrovnik, if you are not up to extensive walking, I recommend you take an excursion with Mikos of TaxiDubrovnik. He took us to all the vantage points to see Dubrovnik from high up, then to the resort town of Cavtat, then deep into the countryside for an authentic Croatian lunch in a beatuful country setting near an old mill and mill stream. Then we returned to Dubrovnik for a walking tour by ourselves-we had a long port call in Dubrovnik. In Kotor if you have nerves of steel, I recommend you take the excursion to the ancient capital over the famous road with the 25 hairpin switchbacks. For this excursion it is very important to be in a vehicle with a narrow wheelbase. Those in the full size buses were scared because their wheelbase was wider than the road sometimes. Kotor is the place to take a ship's excursion, if you are going over this road. Those who went to Perast for Our Lady of the Rocks were disappointed. Those who climbed up 1000 feet to the top of the fort around Kotor had a great view but were very tired and the footing was slippery. Kotor itself has a large number of medieval churches and squares so you could just wander around town; the gelato is delicious.

• 7 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2011 at 3:49 PM, MarleneAm said:

With iffy leg, skip the wall and all its steps, just walk around the old town and go into the churches and monasteries and museums. If you get tired walking, go to a cafe, sit down and have a delicious icecream soda or something else you like and use the cafe's restroom. The people on my cruise, even those young and in good health, who walked the wall were too tired to see anything in the old town, they just took boat rides to the island of Lokrum from the old port in town. I skipped the walls and had a great day-just don't drink the beer on tap- drink your beer out of a bottle.

Why not drink the beer on tap?  

38 minutes ago, banditoo said:

Valley Cat, you have replied to a post 8 years old so likely not to get a response from the original poster.

Yes I saw that.  Figured I had nothing to lose by asking in case that person sees a notification and responds, or someone else can answer.  I am concerned about the suggestion that drinks could potentially make us ill  Thanks! 

• 3 weeks later...