Wave action in the Gulf of Mexico

dmaurer11

I'm leaving out of New Orleans on the Elation December 8th, 2011. One of my friends just told me that was the worst mistake I have made by booking a cruise in December. She said she took one in December two years ago and everyone on the ship was sick due to the waves being so high. Anyone else ever traveled the gulf in December and/or on the Elation?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!

The sea state in the Gulf and Caribbean is a function of 'fetch.' That's the distance wind travels over water... a lot of fetch (lots of wind... long distance...) and the waves are tall. Not too much fetch and the waves are small.

If a strong cold front blows through from the north to the south the swells might be pretty significant. If the weather is less active the seas will be considerably flatter.

It's luck of the draw regardless of the time of year...

:)

I have never been in the gulf in december, However i was in the golf this past august on the elation out of mobile! I wanted a smaller ship for this cruise as i like the motion! Let me tell you that there was nary a speed bump for 5 days! The golf was practically flat! I dont think that you made a mistake, because you will be on vacation! I found that the elation was one of the prettiest ships that i have sailed! The wait staff and room stewards where awesome! Hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Iv been there almost every month of the year .. just went sept 3rd, to cozumel, middle of hurricane season .... wave so flat people complained they couldnt feel the ship moving.

cant win, some want more motion and some want less.

as mach says .. its luck of the draw which week will have winds and weather and which will not.

I agree with Mach & Fire. On 15 cruises, I've sailed at all times of the year, mostly western Caribbean from New Orleans and Galveston. I have found glassy smooth seas as well as 15 ft. swells on different cruises in the same month. It is truly "luck of the draw" as to whether you have a smooth sailing or a rough one or something in between. Be sure to take something for motion sickness with you just in case, and ENJOY your cruise! (which is the same advice I'd give for cruising in ANY month ;))

Unless your friend has first hand knowledge of the sea conditions in the gulf for every December sailing in history, I wouldn't put too much weight in her comment.

Maybe her ONE cruise was choppy, but as others have said, that doesn't mean that every single December cruise will be that way...

The sea state in the Gulf and Caribbean is a function of 'fetch.'

That's the distance wind travels over water... a lot of fetch (lots of wind... long distance...)

and the waves are tall.

Not too much fetch and the waves are small.

If a strong cold front blows through from the North to the South the swells might be pretty significant.

If the weather is less active the seas will be considerably flatter.

It's luck of the draw regardless of the time of year...

-and three days out from the start of your cruise

you can get a fair idea of what swell heights will be like..

by visiting this animated webpage

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave&animate=1#map

that shows sea conditions in 6 hour jumps, about 3 days into the future.

I keep it bookmarked, and all cruisers in the Western Atlantic would be well advised to do so, as well.

I keep it bookmarked, and all cruisers in the Western Atlantic would be well advised to do so, as well.

Thank you so much for posting this link, what useful information. Much appreciated.

I've always used Magic Seaweed... The info is straight from NOAA and it's always been pretty accurate!!

http://magicseaweed.com/Gulf-Coast-MSW-Surf-Charts/9/

:)

Archived