What DON'T you like about Disney Dream ?

PopFla

Okay, I've got my flame-retardant suit on, so feel free to blast away. :D

A little background. We just completed our 6th DCL cruise, and we've had two cruises on each of the existing ships. We love everything - - well, almost everything - - about DCL and its ships. We have no intention of abandoning DCL. But we've already found a few things we don't particularly care for on Dream.

In no particular order ~~

• The little gizmo just inside the stateroom door that you have to insert your KTTW into in order to turn on the lights and TV. Can be a pain if one of you need to leave the room, to visit the coffee station for example, but need a key to get back in the room. It's either retrieve the other person's key or expect them to open the door when you get back.
  • Speaking of the coffee station, Nescafe coffee. 'Nuff said.
  • Cold pancakes/waffles/toast and lukewarm eggs/bacon/sausage on the buffet line at Cabanas.
  • "Guest Services" crew members who will give you six totally different answers to the same basic question, none of them correct.
  • A terminal building that is way too small for the larger passenger loads on Dream.
  • Complete lack of drains in the smooth deck around the perimeter of the adult pool; an accident waiting to happen.

Again, we still love DCL and have no intention of switching, but these relatively minor issues make Dream a less attractive option compared to the older ships, IMHO.

Any others ?

The whole Quiet Cove area is poorly designed. The elevators open up into it so people are passing through all the time. There is a stairway that empties into it from a family area above. And if you sit at Currents you hear the sound from the Dumbo Tron, The live music playing below and the music being piped through at the bar all at the same time.

A tip for the next Dream cruise concerning the light thing. Any card will work to keep the lights on. It does not have to be a Dream room key. We used a card key from the (non-Disney) hotel we had stayed in the night before.

The entire Quiet Cove area feels like an afterthought compared to the Quiet Cove pools on Wonder and Magic -- I really expected to be blown away by the adult area on the newer ship....NOT. And those stools that actually sit in the pool? Seriously? It seems like someone was trying to make a swim-up bar and just goofed - LOL.

Here's a TIP we learned from our first Dream cruise regarding the lights that might make things a little less annoying for you:

As others have said, use any old same-size card (we used an old library card) BUT so not remove it when you leave the cabin.

Instead, just lift it up at bit to disengage the process when you leave the room but still leave it in the holder. When you return, merely press it back down to engage the lights once again.

Best wishes.

I just used the key from the TA cruise we disembarked a week before, but if I had no other card with me, I would just go to the front desk and ask for another key, just tell them you lost yours. You then can use the old one for the light switch.

The pools are way too small for such a large ship. On our sea day, there was an "accident" in the kiddie pool so it had to drained....so everyone headed to the other pool. There is a sign that is posted at the pool stating there is a 22 people load. That made me laugh because there was about 75 people in the pool.

The pools are way too small for the number of people on the ship. It was a zoo on our sea day. So instead of the pool we decided to go to a movie. It was standing room only. At this point my daughter gave up and wanted to go to her club. That was fine by me so I could get some time at the adult pool. Problem was, it was packed too. Don't get me wrong, I loved sailing on the Disney Dream. But after my November Dream cruise, I am ready to go back to the classic ships.

What you're describing, tweidner, is exactly why I shy away from shorter cruises. It seems everyone wants to "get their money's worth" so they take advantage of every activity and amenity, all the time. A longer cruise allows more leisure and spreads out the times that people want to do various things. So based on that alone, I can see why you want to go back to the classic ships!

FANTASTIC TIP! Thanks! Great Idea! LOVE THESE BOARDS!

Here's a TIP we learned from our first Dream cruise regarding the lights that might make things a little less annoying for you:

As others have said, use any old same-size card (we used an old library card) BUT so not remove it when you leave the cabin.

Instead, just lift it up at bit to disengage the process when you leave the room but still leave it in the holder. When you return, merely press it back down to engage the lights once again.>>>

Archived