Questions about Galveston

AlainBob

Our next cruise will start from Galveston Texas. Since it will be our first time there, I have a few questions...

1. We'll be arriving from Canada. Where is the usual airport to go there ? I think it will be Houston. If so, how much time does it take to go to Galveston ?

2. We plan to arrive the day prior to sailing. Where do you suggest to stay in Galveston (near the terminal if possible) ?

3. I have a detailed map of Galveston. Can anyone tell me where is the cruise terminal for Grand Princess ?

Thanks all !

Alain R.

The two houston airports are IAH ( George Bush Internation) and HOU (Houston Hobby). HOU is served primarily by Southwest Airlines and is closer to the island and port, by about 45 minutes, depending on time of day and traffic. IAH is generally 1.5-2 hours drive to the port.

There are several comments regarding Galveston hotels on existing threads, do a search on this forum and you will see many comments (pro and con) on most of them so you can make your own choice. Also many comments on parking.

The port location is: Terminal No. 1: 2502 Harborside Drive, Terminal No. 2: 2702 Harborside Drive. Which ship is at which terminal depends on the day and perhaps who arrives first.

Our next cruise will start from Galveston Texas. Since it will be our first time there, I have a few questions...

1. We'll be arriving from Canada. Where is the usual airport to go there ? I think it will be Houston. If so, how much time does it take to go to Galveston ?

2. We plan to arrive the day prior to sailing. Where do you suggest to stay in Galveston (near the terminal if possible) ?

3. I have a detailed map of Galveston. Can anyone tell me where is the cruise terminal for Grand Princess ?

Thanks all !

Alain R.

1) Houston is about a hour and a half drive frm Galveston (but a fast hour and a half)

2) here is a list of Hotels: http://www.galveston.com/islandhotels/ I've heard the Hotel Galvez: A Wyndham Historic Hotel is a good one to stay at

3) Port Industrial Rd is where the terminals are. Where the Princess one is sorry don't know.

Thanks all !Alain R.

1. Either Houston's IAH (Bush International) or Houston Hobby

airports. Most airlines fly into IAH. Travel time to Galveston will vary with the time of day but figure 1 1/2 hours plus from IAH. IAH is approximately 70 miles north of Galveston. Hobby is 45 miles so takes less time.

2. Harbor House is within walking distance to the pier.

3. link to cruise terminal - Usually Terminal 1 for Grand Princesshttp://www.cruise.com/cruise_info/port_parking/galveston_01.html

Alain, you will most probably be using Terminal A at Bush Intercontinental (IAH). Plan on at least 90 minutes travel time between Galveston and the airport. That is particularly important when booking your return flight. You will do the Immigration control on board the ship before you disembark. Then you will leave the ship and gather your bags and find your tranportation. You risk missing your flight if it departs earlier than 1 PM.

We have stayed at the Galvez, and enjoyed the hotel. Princess uses this hotel for their pre-cruise stays, so you might be able to arrange a transfer to the ship from the hotel if you do not book it ahead of time.

If you enjoy seafood, try Guido's on Seawall Boulevard. It comes highly recommended. My officemate next door is from Galveston and guarantees you will not be disappointed if you try it.

The Harbor House is a nice hotel. Have stayed there many times. Right next door is a restaurant named Willie G's that is a somewhat high end seafood restaurant that is very good. The dress is from casual all the way up to dressed up. On a cautionary note if anyone refers you to the Flagship Hotel do not go. The Harbor House is right next to where the cruise ships dock and I have read that you can talk to them about leaving your car parked there the entire cruise.

We flew from Toronto to the Houston Intern airport ( George Bush Intern' ) a couple of weeks ago. Rented a car...stayed at the Galveston Holiday Inn on the Beach...okay and a free shuttle to and from the pier. The Galves looked very nice too.

Taking the hotel shuttle was very easy....10 minute ride from the hotels on the Beach. Nice seafood restaurants along Seawall Blvd. too.

We really enjoyed the Grand cruise.

we stayed in Galveston this past June at Harbor House.

It was a nice hotel, not luxury, but in a great location.

There are a couple of good restaurants nearby. WE particularly liked Joe's Crab Shack - an informal small chain which had excellent seafood (and we normally don't like seafood in any chain places - such as Red Lobster - but decided to try Joe's because it was so close). The historic district is a quick walk away with a number of different small shops to browse through and more places to eat.

There is an oil rig museum yards from the hotel, fascinating even to me, and I didn't want to go, but dh did. There is also a movie (a one minute walk from the hotel) about the Great Storm of 1898?? 1896?? of Galveston which was very interesting and gives you a good overview of Galveston.

All solid comments.

IAH, Term A to Harbour House, about 1.5 - 2hrs (depending on I45), cannot go wrong.

Other possibility: Stay in downtown Houston if you want to take in what it has to offer. Theater, nice hotels. I'd recommend the Sam Houston or Lancaster. Lancaster is right in the heart of the Theater district.

The Great Storm was 1900. Many think it was a Catagory 4 Hurricane by todays scale. 8-10 thousand soul's lost. Seawall constructed afterwards.

We flew into IAH the night before. We spent the night at the Marriott at the airport. You just collected your luggage, went downstairs, caught the free tram to the hotel right there at the airport. Check-in was a breeze. Price was $80/night. There was no airport noise.

The next morning we had scheduled a private transfer using Emerald Limousines (http://www.emaraldlimos.com). We asked for a pickup time of 10:00am. Esperanza was 15 mins early! There were six of us, plus luggage. Cost was $25/pp. She even stopped off at the grocery store for us to pick-up some last minute items. She was great!

There was NO line at checkin when we got to the port. I keep waiting for the line, but it wasn't there. We literally walked right on and went straight to our cabin. Wish I was getting ready to do it all again right now.

Have a great trip! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Another fun place to stay is Moody Gardens. If you call them directly, they have a cruise package that includes breakfast and shuttle service to and from the ship. There is alot to do at this hotel. There is a nice aquarium, Imax shows, gardens, etc. I think they might also take you to Guido's to eat if you wanted to go there. Not sure on that one though. The Tremont is also a nice place and not too far to walk to the Strand where there is interesting shopping. There are shuttle arrangements from that hotel as well. The Galvez is another nice place to stay with shuttle arrangements. These three hotels are some of the nicest in Galvestons. The other nice hotel in Galveston is the San Louis, not sure about shuttle arrangements on that one.

We had our car for the first time on our cruise, so these were great options for us. You would need to make arrangements to get back to the airport

Archived