Areas in London

mytime53

DH and I, along with another couple, are staying in London for 4 days on our way to Africa. We're trying to decide what the best area(s) would be to stay in. By best, we mean convenience for traveling to/from Heathrow, proximity to the most things to see, safe to walk around in at night, places to eat. Normally I'm fine with researching and pinpointing, but at this point, our trip involves stay overs in Boston, London (both on the way and on the return), New York City, Nairobi, Mombasa, and 10 days in Tanzania. With transportation, housing, touring...my head is spinning and I'm running out of time! So if anyone can point me in desirable directions (or conversely, areas to stay away from for whatever reason!), I would appreciate it. I've found a few interesting places to stay in Kensington and Westminster, and will investigate a few more areas tonight, but would like to make a decision soon.

DH and I, along with another couple, are staying in London for 4 days on our way to Africa. We're trying to decide what the best area(s) would be to stay in. By best, we mean convenience for traveling to/from Heathrow, proximity to the most things to see, safe to walk around in at night, places to eat. Normally I'm fine with researching and pinpointing, but at this point, our trip involves stay overs in Boston, London (both on the way and on the return), New York City, Nairobi, Mombasa, and 10 days in Tanzania. With transportation, housing, touring...my head is spinning and I'm running out of time! So if anyone can point me in desirable directions (or conversely, areas to stay away from for whatever reason!), I would appreciate it. I've found a few interesting places to stay in Kensington and Westminster, and will investigate a few more areas tonight, but would like to make a decision soon.

I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, which is located next to the Gloucester Road Underground Station (Piccadilly/Circle Line). We rode the Underground to Heathrow - piece of cake. There are lots of good restaurants nearby and several museums are within walking distance of the hotel. If you don’t mind walking a bit, Hyde Park and Kensington Garden are just a few block away.

Click on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30472821&postcount=29 to read some information I posted on another thread.

Cheers,

Ron

I've found a few interesting places to stay in Kensington and Westminster ...
Staying in the Westminster area will be closer to most of the sights than staying in Kensington. There are a few hotels just the far (east) side of Westminster Bridge too which are quite conveniently located. Another good area to stay in to be close to the sights is the City (ie the central financial district), where hotels can be reasonably priced at the weekend, but good eating is a little more sparse there at the weekend; and there are a few good hotels strung out along the south bank of the river opposite the City, where there are lots of facilities.

Otherwise, I'm afraid the question is a bit nebulous!

Globaliser lives in London and so he and others on this forum might be a better source than any of us tourists...

...but, having visited London on a great many occasions, I have some views on the subject...through the eyes of a tourist...

First, remember that London is a very large, very spread out city...

HOWEVER, there is an EXCELLENT Underground system...and taxis are conveniently found everywhere as well...Heathrow is a good distance from the center of the city, however there are several ways to get from Heathrow to wherever you may want to go...

One trip, we thought that it might be convenient to stay near Paddington as that is where the Heathrow Express train runs to and from...However, we weren't thrilled with the area in terms of convenience (otherwise, nice area)...

Last few trips, we find ourselves staying in one of three areas: Mayfair, Victoria or the County Hall Area across the river (far side of Westminster Bridge) that Globalizer spoke of...

For our July 2012 trip, we have reserved the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...in that area across Westminster Bridge from Parliament--the location is convenient and the hotel very nice and brand new...and the rates, for London, reasonable...Many of the "sights" of London are walkable from here--across the bridge...

Last visit, we found a good rate at the 5-star MayFair--in Mayfair...That area is very nice and very walkable...not far from Picadilly and Covent Garden, et al...

A few of the visits prior to that, we stayed at the Rubens, right across from the side of Buckingham Palace and very walkable to Victoria Station as well as to the Coach Station...so very convenient as well...

My thought is that getting from Heathrow into London is easy by train...or, as we found last visit, using the very reasonable Heathrow Shuttle:

http://www.heathrowshuttle.com/

...door-to-door service to your hotel...

Once you are in London, getting around to various sights is quite easy...

But, we would stay in one of these areas I've mentioned to be closer to the main attractions...rather than staying in Kensington...

The reality is that most anywhere in what might be considered Central London is fine in terms of convenience (London public transportation is excellent although many Londoners might not think that way) and if you're close say to the Palace of Westminster, you're still either a tube ride or a bus ride from say Convent Garden (yes it's walkable but you might not want to walk after agoing to dinner or the theatre) and if you stay by Coinvent Garden, you're a bus or subway ride away from the Tower of London...I'm just using those places as examples.

You can go by price and stay a tad further from the exact center of London. It might be important for you, for example, to be anywhere along the Picadilly line if you're coming ion from Heathrow or you might be near Victoria if you're taking the train from Victoria or in anywhere near Picadilly for much of the West End.....it really doesn't make all that much of a difference, at least to me. You'll be using public transport, probably and easily become familiar with it. It will almost surely be safe and well served by public transport.

Sorry if that's a contrary opinion to the opinion of others but that's the way I feel about it.

I realize it's a bit nebulous, but I got the info I wanted, thank you. I've already found a few rental apartments rather than hotel rooms, and just wanted to make certain I wasn't overlooking a more desirous area to stay in, and that there was nothing wrong with the areas we were considering.

I really appreciate the info provided, as we also have another stop on our return journey, and want to stay in a different area that time, which you've given me ideas for.

Wow, in the short time it took to write the above, even more info! Thanks so much to all of you!

On the way back you might like to look at hotels/apartments near Tower bridge. http://londontowerbridgeapartments.co.uk/ is just an example.

Handy for The Tower of course, Tower Bridge and a trip down the river to see the Cutty sark and maybe Greenwich (pronounced Grennich) Museum for Naval history and the origin of the Greenwich Meridian.

Archived