Dark Water, Dark Skies, Unknown Horizon

cruiseguymfr

I think one of my favorite and simplest forms of enjoyment on cruises is at night when you are on your balcony and you can't tell where the water ends and where the sky begins by looking out deep on the horizon. I always turn out my lights from the inside and close the blinds and enjoy this feeling of gazing into the unknown :).

Anyone else enjoy this or am I out on a limb here? :)

I think one of my favorite and simplest forms of enjoyment on cruises is at night when you are on your balcony and you can't tell where the water ends and where the sky begins by looking out deep on the horizon. I always turn out my lights from the inside and close the blinds and enjoy this feeling of gazing into the unknown :).

I do the same thing. !! Last year we were on a cruise when there was a meteor shower happening. It was at 3 am and it was awesome since it was sooo dark !!

I do the same thing. !! Last year we were on a cruise when there was a meteor shower happening. It was at 3 am and it was awesome since it was sooo dark !!

I am very jealous. I think that is something I will look into before I book. I would love to be at sea during the Perseid or any other one!

Also, enjoy sitting out the balcony at night with no lights on in the backround. But sometime the cabins next us leave thier lights on:(. Does not help to keep it dark. DW and I sat out one night as we sailed past Cancun on the way back to Galveston. Kind neat to see the city lights off in the distance and the black water.

Spent hours very late at night on Serenade in So. Caribbean looking at water. But moon was bright and reflecting off the water so not quite the same shade as the sky. Stars were fantastic even with the moonlight and made for odd sensation as water streamed by but the stars did not move relative to the ship. really gives the sensation of the celestial sphere being a big bowl that extends below the horizon egde.

I am very jealous. I think that is something I will look into before I book. I would love to be at sea during the Perseid or any other one!

WOAH! I just decided to check and while I am on Voyager in November 12-19, this happens....

Leonids night of November 17 Rises around midnight

WOOP!

Spent hours very late at night on Serenade in So. Caribbean looking at water. But moon was bright and reflecting off the water so not quite the same shade as the sky. Stars were fantastic even with the moonlight and made for odd sensation as water streamed by but the stars did not move relative to the ship. really gives the sensation of the celestial sphere being a big bowl that extends below the horizon egde.

Loved sitting out on our aft deck around 3am when we were on our Alaska cruise, looked like the stars were falling into the water! I am an insomniac, so I spend lots of late hours out on our balconies... Beautiful!!

We spent many nights fishing off shore in the Keys, there is nothing like the dark, stars, and silence. We always find the darkest, quietest place on the cruise ship to be, especially on moonless night.

Kinda of a sad story about a RC crew on a around South American cruise The southern cross, star formation was never mentioned and finally I asked the Captain(nice guy) where or in what quadrant of the sky we could see it, he had to ask, I guess his navigator, i guess, he had never heard of it or Crosby, Stills and Nash 's song " Southern Cross" LOL

We love sitting on the balcony late at night watching the world pass. It's so peaceful. This cruise we will have 7 straight sea days.:)

At home, in Minnesota, we take the pontoon out late at night, shut the motor off and drift. We've seen meteor showers and the Northern Lights. Amazing!:p

The southern cross, star formation

When I visted Australia once I was so disappointed that it was always coudy at night and I could not see this formation. Then on the flight home a couple hours our from Sydney there it was out my window. Like a big kite in the sky. As distinctive as the Big Dipper or Orion are in the north.

Speaking of the Big Dipper.... on Serenade when going south island to island at night we could see it very clearly form our Port side balcony every night around 1am or so. Then on way north from Barbados there it was still at 1am. Huh? Like we were going the wrong way. Then it occured to me that on the way down at night the ports are so close together we may have been swinging in a wide arc so that at that time of night we were always going east. Never thought to check the TV for position or heading.

On our cruise around Italy last year the captain let us know that we would be passing by Stromboli around midnight. It was amazing being able to have most of the outside lights turned off on the ship so everyone (at least those still awake) could see the orange glow from the volcano.

And I have been trying to catch the "Green Flash" at sunset every cruise I go on....still no luck, anyone ever seen it?

2ewjdk7.jpg

It said the ship's movement and not being able to have the camera completely still may hamper your efforts at a photo of it, but I make my DH take the photos anyways...maybe someday I'll get lucky and just see it. You can read about it here: http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/GF/pictures.html

Amen to that!!! And seeing a cruise ship in the distance all lit up, makes it even better!!!

A bit off topic but I had a memorable night on the balcony when we were on the Emerald Princess a few years ago. Earlier that night I had tried out a Beverly Hills Iced Tea. Well, they weren't too bad so I had a couple...enough to make me feel like hitting the disco:D. However, DH was ready for bed. Hey, I'm on a cruise, I'll just go dance by myself!! Well, after getting there I decided maybe dancing alone wouldn't be all that much fun so returned to our cabin. Not quite ready for bed, however, so I sat on the balcony stargazing...not a cloud in the sky. Suddenly, I felt what I thought were rain drops. I was nonplussed...how could it be raining with no clouds?! I knew I was tipsy but not that bad! It happened again so I dragged my half-asleep husband out onto the balcony and swore to him that it was magically raining. For a minute, he seemed puzzled, too. But then he had the presence of mind to look up to see someone swabbing the deck and the excess water making it's way to us:p! Yep, time for me to go to bed (but I guess the source of the "water" could've been worse:eek:)!!!

I also turn out the lights.But it the stars i love to watch. They look like you can reach out and touch them.At this point i always feel blessed that i can do this once a year.Looking forward to my eleven night cruise on the Explorer 1/16/2012.

Let's all go to the Caribbean.:):):)

Archived