The best cabin??

IAMCRZIN

I have only been on one cruise with DH. We are thinking of doing a family cruise with our daughter/son in law and children. The children are 15, 14 and 7. They have never cruised. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the best cabin to book for the 5 of them? Or how would this work? I am so confused!!:confused:

There are cabins for 5, it just depends on the cruise line and their budget. I see you did Carnival, were you planning on doing that again? Did you want separate sleeping areas for the kids?

I like balconies/suites to give everyone space to move - but those kids are a little older - so you might want an inside cabin across the hall for them.

It just all depends on the cruiseline/ship that you were planning on sailing with. Each one has its pluses in this department. What is more important to you? Itinerary? Price? Things to do on the ship?

Start there and then find the cabin you want on THAT ship.

I think 2 connecting cabins would be the way to go. That way, the kids can have a space to themselves (and their messes!) and you will have immediate access thru the connecting doorway, but can CLOSE that door when you want privacy! Generally, 2 conn. cabins will be cheaper than a suite...and you each have your own bath!!! Very nice!

Royal Caribbean has family OV cabins that hold up to six--we cruised in one with grandkids last January. There is a little bunkroom, a sofa sleeper and two twin(or queen) beds. Lots of room, but only one bathroom. It worked great for us.

Otherwise, I'd suggest either connecting rooms or possibly a room across the hall from you for the kids, if you are comfortable with that.

Thanks for all the responses. We will be doing Carnival again. We will also be paying so we want to do the least expensive way. It looks like the time of year we are thinking of going we would be on Carnival Triumph. Do you think an OV would work for 5 people??

I know the Triumph has (used to have, anyway) some cabins for five. Our son and family had one a few years ago. It was a balcony cabin and was very, very crowded with five, especially with the beds down. And, their kids were 3, 5 & 5 at the time.

Can you do it? Yes. But it will be tight.

We are 5. Currently booked on the Inspiration 5 night cruise. So you can get an idea on pricing. Obviously the inside for 5 was the cheapest. OV for 5 was $190 more. Next up was the balcony which was the same price as two insides ($400 more than 1 inside) then the 2 ocean views ($650 more) and finally the Grande Suite was $840 more). That is a 5 night for 5 people. We had a hard time getting the adjoining since the ones available were doubles and we needed a double and a triple but since you are also cruising you have some added flexibility with cabins since you are booking possibly 3 cabins. So we took two inside cabins next door to each other. Balcony is nice but having a second room and bathroom for the same price is better for us. Suites are beautiful but it is still one room and one bathroom. Also the 2 insides could have been cheaper if we were on a lower deck.

Archived