Best route from FLL to Key West

waterbugohio

We will be in FLL in November to see friends off on the Allure. Will be hard as we are not able to go along this year.

We plan to drive down to Key West for a couple days prior to the cruise. What is the best route to take? How expensive is the toll road?? Should we take the toll road or just take 95 thru Miami? We won't be driving during rush hour. Will be heading there on a thursday morning and driving back on Saturday morning.

Suggestions??

I haven't lived in Key West in six years but unless they have done something significant to improve I-95 congestion, I wouldn't drive it unless it was the middle of the night. Always seemed to have some congestion somewhere. The turnpike's tolls aren't crazy. Seems like maybe 5 bucks total?

Enjoy the drive to the keys - have a large "marge" on the rocks, no salt for me! ...after you arrive of course!

To me there isnt that much toll road that its worth driving so far west to get on.

Id jump on I95, just because the turnpike is out of your way .. the real issue will be once you start down to the keys, you just cant make any time during the day if its season.

Hopefully you are going early Nov and not the last week as thats about when season officially starts. Jan or Feb it takes an entire day to drive down there and it doesnt matter which road you took to get down to the one road dow to the keys once you enter where the keys start.

weekends are worse too. bumper to bumper once it starts to cool off from summer.

Much quicker to jump on the Turnpike all the way to Florida City then get on US 1 south. It is about 5 hours to Key West from FLL. Driven it many times. No longer any toll plaza to stop at everything is done by bill. If you are driving a rental car it might be a good idea to ask about the prepaid tolls.....enjoy!

Thanks for all the info.

As for the tolls. I will check with the rental company. But as for being "billed" I did a fast lane the last time in Miami and got billed thru the mail when I got home. Charge was something really minimal, but a "service fee" was about twice the toll!! Won't do that again.

I95 is only a small part of the traffic problem...after you get to the south end of I95 you will be stuck in traffic for about an hour on US1 just to go a few miles until it starts moving freely. The only way to avoid this is to take the turnpike all the way. Believe me, the tolls are worth it, as it is already a long ride to Key West! From Fort Lauderdale, you can take I595 west to the turnpike south, then you take the "turnpike extention" south towards Homestead (this is about 3-4 exits from where you enter the turnpike.

Thanks for all the replies. Guess some like I95 while others prefer the tollway. I think we will probably just do the toll way to be on the safe side.

We will be heading down about 9AM on thursday Nov. 3rd and returning on Saturday morning Nov. 5th. Will traffic be as bad heading back to FLL?

Thursday rush hour will be bad until you hit the keys. Coming back on a Saturday shouldn't be a problem except for that stretch of US that I mentioned south of I95...I think it's always bad there. As you head back up north, look for the entrance ramp to the Turnpike in Florida City...it's easy to miss if you aren't paying attention and then you'll be stuck.

Archived