Oasis Salon Services

micropooz

I have cruised a number of times on different lines and never used the Salon. I have two formal nights on the Oasis Oct. 8 -14 cruise to the Carrib. and would love to have my shoulder length hair shampooed and blown dry into a full, smooth bob, flipped under. I will be bringing a small bottle of the hair product my stylist uses on me, but it hurts my arms to hold them up and dry all of my hair . I will also bring my round brush. My question is, how well-trained are the stylists and has anyone used their services? Is it a total waste of money? And how much do you think this will cost, as I would like to do this just on the formal nights. Where is the salon located, as I thought I would head there immediately after boarding to set up my appts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I had my hair blowdryed out for formal nights on my Allure cruise and it was $50 and the girl did a very good job. I have hair that is below shoulder length. The hair salon is located in the spa on the 6th floor. Try to go right away to set up appointment because the line was long for everyone setting up appointments for both spa and hair on the first day.

micropooz - you are on our cruise - feel free to join in on our roll call --- its a great bunch of people ... and all are welcome, the more the merrier!!

PS - I've never been on the Oasis, but have had my hair done on all the cruises we have been on and they have done a wonderful job (a little expensive), but its been worth it. Jan

I've never had my hair done on a ship, but then again I can't stand so much as a bobby pin in my hair so an updo would be a total waste on me. The skill of the stylist is an individual thing. I've seen beautiful updos and I've seen old fashioned, cookie cutter updos on cruise ships. So, it's the luck of the draw.

I've also never had a hair stylist get as much fullness out of my hair as I can with a blow dryer and round brushes. I'll tell you how I do it, it takes me 10 minutes (ship time is about 15 since I use a travel dryer).

I use a root booster, a texturizing paste (tiny amount, only on ends, not the scalp) and then a small amount of mousse throughout. I flip my head over upside down and blow my hair until it is almost dry, using my fingers to hold the hair out from the root. I section my hair (not a formal section, just as I go) and dry each section with a spritz of hairspray, leaving the brush in the hair to cool. I do a general sectioning, think of an old fashioned roller set. I also work from bottom to top. After my whole head is dry, I allow it to completely cool before brushing. I use just a tiny bit of backcombing at the crown, brush until smooth and then just a tiny bit of spray to finish.

You do need more than one round brush for this technique, I use 3 or 4, taking them out as I go and re-using. The look is softer than a curling iron and a whole lot faster, the heat from curling irons makes my hair go flat. Use good round brushes, I use a natural bristle brush on the top layer (adds shine) and ceramic brushes on the underneath layers.

It sounds confusing, but in reality it's not. Think of your round brush as a roller rather than a brush. You see it done in salons all the time, stylists leaving a round brush in the hair and going on to the next section.

If your shoulder length hair can't get fullness this way, perhaps it is the haircut. If a cut is too blunt, the hair is too heavy to have any fullness. Even a straight looking style has to have layers to have fullness.

Archived