Men - Hat for Caribbean cruise?

WVBill

Guys - any recommendation of a good "cruise hat" for a Caribbean cruise? I need to keep the sun off. I wear a beat up old "boonie hat" when working out in the yard and stuff but don't often have a reason to be out in the sun in other situations. So anticipate needing something for aboard ship out on deck and ashore on excursions or at the beach.

Thoughts?

My best advice is go with what's comfortable for you. If you hate it, you probably won't wear it. (I found this out when I moved to Florida and experimented with all kinds of hats.)

My husband always wears a baseball cap, my father and brother are more straw hat kind of guys.

I see nothing wrong with a boonie hat... perhaps buy a new one for the trip! ;)

Guys - any recommendation of a good "cruise hat" for a Caribbean cruise? I need to keep the sun off. I wear a beat up old "boonie hat" when working out in the yard and stuff but don't often have a reason to be out in the sun in other situations. So anticipate needing something for aboard ship out on deck and ashore on excursions or at the beach.

Thoughts?

Nothing beats a Tilley hat in the hot Caribbean sun!

• Like 2

On my last cruise I just picked up a straw hat at the Walgreens next to Port Everglades on the way out. It worked reasonably well, but I'd recommend getting one with a fabric lining around the bottom of the brim; the one I had didn't have this, and didn't provide as much shade as I would have liked.

My husband wears straw hats at home doing yard work (he shaves his head and though he uses SPF 70, always tries to wear a hat when he'll be outside) But for vacations - he LOVES his Tilley hat. I think he has #6.

He was worried it would be hotter than a straw hat (smaller/fewer holes for ventilation) but it's so nicely insulated - keeps him cool! And he can stick his ship card and some money for emergencies in the crown pocket. And it has a chin strap in case of wind....

It's a little complicated to pack but he managed to stuff it with clothing and pack clothing around the brim so it wasn't crushed in the suitcase.....(alternatively you could wear it, but we were flying to Europe and it was easier to pack it in a checked bag)

My DH is a melanoma survivor so has to keep the sun off too. He uses a hat with a neck flap because even the widest brims won't keep you from burning your neck. Also, his first response to your question was "You need something that will actually stay on in the wind." So check out the "Adventure Hat by Sunday Afternoon Hats" on Amazon and you will find one that fits the bill.

Trish

• Like 1

My DH is a melanoma survivor so has to keep the sun off too. He uses a hat with a neck flap because even the widest brims won't keep you from burning your neck. Also, his first response to your question was "You need something that will actually stay on in the wind." So check out the "Adventure Hat by Sunday Afternoon Hats" on Amazon and you will find one that fits the bill.

Trish

Trish

We also recommend the Tilley hat. As for packing I just squish ours flat in our suitcase. I still have one of the original ones made of cotton, but my husband has one of the newer model LTM5 made of nylon with mesh on the side.

My recomendation is a tilley hat as well. I wear what is refered to by Tilley as a T2 it has a green under brim which helps reduce the suns glare and has a chin strap and it will float if it blows off in water. plus it has a really wide brim all around so the bak of your neck is protected from the sun. My husband wears the Tilley hemp hat. We use them at home as well. These hats are alos good in the rain it will keep your head dry. :)

I would normally wear a baseball style cap or the military bush hats, but have just purchased a Tilley T7MO Organic Cotton with 3D Mesh Hat. I coach a lot of softball and this is another reason I bought it plus the dermatologist has taken enough spots of me that I have learned my lesson. There are a couple of web sites where you can get a good buy on the hats, with free shipping

Pete

Thanks everyone - I will definitely check out the Tilley hats.

Also, TipsyT - thanks for the idea about the Adventure Hat - will check that out too.

Plenty of time between now and March to settle on one and get it on my "Christmas List" :D

I also love Tilly hat but would warn to not get one that is too large (in size) -- tighter stays with you better. I use a clip (got it at Bass Pro Shops) that clips to the hat and to your shirt -- keeps it from showing how Tilly hats float!:D

I would also recommend the website www.coolibar.com for sun protection hats and clothing for all humans. I love my water jacket and wore it everyday in the Galapagos --full protection but not hot. They have lots of cute hats for women and many choices for men. Australian company and the Aussies have the very best of sun protection products and they use them too. Just protect yourself from the sun. You will already pay for the sun mistakes you made as a youngster and skin cancer is not to be messed with. !

Hi Pete,

Could you please tell us the names of the web sites for good prices and free shipping for the Tilley hat. Thank you.

Ellen:)

Ellen it is outlandusa you can add the dot com, when I was looking for mine, found it to be a great price and shipping free over 50 and quite frankly most of the hats were over 50, very fast turn around

Pete