Confused - St Petersburg Tour Companies

sippican

I am in the beginning stages of planning a private tour for 9 of us next July. I am researching those with high recommendations on the CC boards, and am a bit confused.

My first question is re: Anastasia; I am finding a web site for "anastasiaworld" and another for "Anastasia travel". Which is the one most used?

Also, Red October - what are the differences between the US site and the Russian? I recall that I read somewhere to avoid US booking agents for SP tours (I believe that Denrus has a US agent also).

Would appreciate any help offered.

We used Anastasia last year but then the founder member left the company and set up another one.Apparantly she didnt have the right to retain the original web site and customers who had originally booked via Anastasia were taken up by the new owners who renamed the company I[HEART] Spb .So which company is which now I have no idea!

Denrus and red October are longer standing independent companies but recently more and more new companies are being set up which are getting a good batch of reviews behind them here on cruise critic such as Alla Anastasia TJ tours SPB etc

be careful when looking at recommendations as a common way for new companies to generate business is for fake posts-be wary of glowing reviews for a company from someone who has only 1 or 2 total posts on cruise critic

best advice is to build a shortlist of companies with good reviews then contact each of them and explain your wish list.The responses you get will soon let you know which is the best fit for you

It is rare for anyone to complain about a guide in St Petersburg-they are highly qualified people who usually work either in the museums or lecture elsewhere.

you will love ST Petersburg

Lyn

You have gotten some good advice so far. I also second that way to go. Contact the major players in St Peterberg and see which of them fits more into what you want to do, what you want to spend and personality wise, who you feel more comfortable with.

I just never understand it when posters come hare asking about some obscure company that no one has ever heard of because they read it on Trip Advisor or something like that. Stick to the reputable companies which will assure you of a fantastic time in St Petersberg.

We used SPB Tours and could not have been happier. We chose them over some of the others because they offered a few small things that other companies didn't offer, like lunches and the canal boat ride. We also found conversing with Viktoria to be so friendly and helpful, that we were immediately drawn to their company. Other companies took a while to respond, SPB never took more than a day. When we mentioned to Viktoria, that we would also like to see the Choral Synagogue, which wasn't inccluded in our tour, she immediatley added it to our itinerary. We were just thrilled with our tour of St Petersberg with them.

Plus, I have heard several people complain about Denrus being very formula like, not really responding with a personal touch PLUS they take about 30 or more people on a tour, while most of the others never take more than 18-20 and even that is a lot. You want a smaller group to be able to move at a quicker pace if you know what I mean.

I have also heard that Red October does have US agents in the US instead of dealing right with the party who is doing your tour. I would advice against that.

Anyway, do some homework and we are always here to help.

Cheers

Len

Contact the private tour companies by e-mail that you are interested in..and go from there..We ended up using TJ Travel..Just something about the response from Tatiana gave me a good feeling..and am glad I opted for them..Our wonderful guide Anna and our driver Igor provided us with the trip of a lifetime...Enjoy this amazing city !!!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Am still hoping someone out there can tell me which "Anastasia" is the one with the great reviews - "Anastasiaworld" or Anastasia Travel.

I'm impressed with Spb tours, and have looked at Alla. It's so hard to get a genuine feel of a tour company, when their testimonials seem to be directly solicited from participants rather than spontaneous. I am reading reviews on both TripAdvisor and CC and looking for posters who have placed multiple reviews. (We just returned from the Med and I am amazed at the requests for "5 star reviews" from the private companies we used; they even provide a direct link to the review page in their e-mails!) The good thing is that there seem to be a number of great choices in St Petersburg.

I will also look at TJ Travel.

Hi, i checked the web site and it looks great. Currently they advertise 3 different 2- day tours of SPB. Which one did you take?

Hi,

We copied the 2 Day Complete Grand Tour and added the Grand Choral Synagogue. We also opted to bring our own food (Alla provided a bottle of water each day for each of us). We didn't want to take the time away from seeing the sites. There was NO PROBLEM taking food off the ship. No one looked in our bags. If the weather had been nice (it wasn't in May) we could have eaten in a park or somewhere outside. As it was, we ate in the van...again - no problem. Our guide spoke perfect English and was very outgoing and answered all of our questions as we went along. St Petersburg is a beautiful city - Enjoy!

Hi,

We copied the 2 Day Complete Grand Tour and added the Grand Choral Synagogue. We also opted to bring our own food (Alla provided a bottle of water each day for each of us). We didn't want to take the time away from seeing the sites. There was NO PROBLEM taking food off the ship. No one looked in our bags. If the weather had been nice (it wasn't in May) we could have eaten in a park or somewhere outside. As it was, we ate in the van...again - no problem. Our guide spoke perfect English and was very outgoing and answered all of our questions as we went along. St Petersburg is a beautiful city - Enjoy!

Bringing your own food off the ship ..Sorry but the few minutes we spent at Stolle having the meat pies was something we would not have wanted to miss and hardly prevented us from seeing anything on our private 2 day active tour..JMHO..each to their own...;):)

Bringing your own food off the ship ..Sorry but the few minutes we spent at Stolle having the meat pies was something we would not have wanted to miss and hardly prevented us from seeing anything on our private 2 day active tour..JMHO..each to their own...;):)

Yes, to each their own...if I had been in Italy or France I wouldn't have done that but I was not interested in a meat pie...

The opportunity to eat in a local establishment and sample the local flavors IS an important part of our overall touring experience and very high on our list of priorities. Luckily, private tour companies have always been very flexible in accommodating our preferences for a quick or leisurely lunch.:)

The key to remeber when booking any of these agencies that are highly recommended is that you want a company who is willing to work with you to schedule the things you want to see. Do not go with a company that is taking more people on the tour than you want to be with. We did our own tour with just six of us and it was cheaper than the ship and just a whole lot more fun. We could go at our own pace and did not have to wait for anyone. We opted not to have meals included, but told them we would decide on the touring day what we felt like doing. Had to nice casual meals at our leisure. If they want you to stick to their schedule or plans I would look for someone else.

Just my opinion!! We used Anastasia last September. Don't know what her new name is.

You have gotten some good advice so far. I also second that way to go. Contact the major players in St Peterberg and see which of them fits more into what you want to do, what you want to spend and personality wise, who you feel more comfortable with.

I just never understand it when posters come hare asking about some obscure company that no one has ever heard of because they read it on Trip Advisor or something like that. Stick to the reputable companies which will assure you of a fantastic time in St Petersberg.

We used SPB Tours and could not have been happier. We chose them over some of the others because they offered a few small things that other companies didn't offer, like lunches and the canal boat ride. We also found conversing with Viktoria to be so friendly and helpful, that we were immediately drawn to their company. Other companies took a while to respond, SPB never took more than a day. When we mentioned to Viktoria, that we would also like to see the Choral Synagogue, which wasn't inccluded in our tour, she immediatley added it to our itinerary. We were just thrilled with our tour of St Petersberg with them.

Plus, I have heard several people complain about Denrus being very formula like, not really responding with a personal touch PLUS they take about 30 or more people on a tour, while most of the others never take more than 18-20 and even that is a lot. You want a smaller group to be able to move at a quicker pace if you know what I mean.

I have also heard that Red October does have US agents in the US instead of dealing right with the party who is doing your tour. I would advice against that.

Anyway, do some homework and we are always here to help.

Cheers

Len

We can echo Len's glowing praise of SPB in particular and his advice in general about going with an established tour company. On our June 2011 sailing, there were eight groups from CC who used SPB. To a person I believe all of them felt they got an excellent tour and a great value - whether they took a private six person deluxe tour as we did, on one of the active or moderate tours. The guides with SPB and almost certainly with Alla, TJ, and the others are very professional and do a great job.

You will love the city. It and Tallinn were our favoite ports.

I would also echo one of the earlier posters. Beware of one post wonders who tout a tour company. Some of these may be legitimate, many are not. Also with respect to St. P at least, take the Tour Advisor rankings with a grain of salt. They are easily manipulated and several of the companies at or near the top are ones most posters here have never heard of. They may be legitimate, but the information you get here is, in my view, and in my experience, much more reliable.

We can echo Len's glowing praise of SPB in particular and his advice in general about going with an established tour company. On our June 2011 sailing, there were eight groups from CC who used SPB. To a person I believe all of them felt they got an excellent tour and a great value - whether they took a private six person deluxe tour as we did, on one of the active or moderate tours. The guides with SPB and almost certainly with Alla, TJ, and the others are very professional and do a great job.

You will love the city. It and Tallinn were our favoite ports.

I would also echo one of the earlier posters. Beware of one post wonders who tout a tour company. Some of these may be legitimate, many are not. Also with respect to St. P at least, take the Tour Advisor rankings with a grain of salt. They are easily manipulated and several of the companies at or near the top are ones most posters here have never heard of. They may be legitimate

but the information you get here is, in my view, and in my experience, much more reliable.

Bob, thank you for input. I agree with almost everything you've said. Taking reviews with a grain of salt is true. However, other than the roll call boards on CC, almost the same thing is happening on CC as far as tour company recommendations. Having just returned from the Med, we were e-mailed by each one of our tour companies (except one) requesting we post a review on either/or both TA and CC. They provided links to sites to do so. They also requested a 5* rating and suggested mentioning drivers by name. If there is already an active thread asking for tour information, or discussing a specific company, they are not in violation of CC guidelines. (One such example is the Romeinlimo thread on the Italy ports of call - the company contacts past travelers and asks them to follow the link and post a positive review on that

thread. No wonder they are the top company for Italy on this site!) We did use them twice in Italy and had a good day each time and I have no complaints at all. Were they spectacular and the most memorable? No, they were not. I'm sure there are other companies that compare favorably. Our very favorite tour was in France, through a company I found at a late date (the one who has not solicited a review). The worst tour? - the TripAdvisor number one ranked tour company for the Amalfi Coast!

I think Len hit the nail on the head - the personal touch made all the difference in the world.

Since I am planning the Baltic Tours for a group of 9, I'm hopping to avoid the same pitfalls. Right now, SPB is looking really good. Viktoria has been very responsive.

Bob, thank you for input. I agree with almost everything you've said. Taking reviews with a grain of salt is true. However, other than the roll call boards on CC, almost the same thing is happening on CC as far as tour company recommendations. Having just returned from the Med, we were e-mailed by each one of our tour companies (except one) requesting we post a review on either/or both TA and CC. They provided links to sites to do so. They also requested a 5* rating and suggested mentioning drivers by name. If there is already an active thread asking for tour information, or discussing a specific company, they are not in violation of CC guidelines. (One such example is the Romeinlimo thread on the Italy ports of call - the company contacts past travelers and asks them to follow the link and post a positive review on that

thread. No wonder they are the top company for Italy on this site!) We did use them twice in Italy and had a good day each time and I have no complaints at all. Were they spectacular and the most memorable? No, they were not. I'm sure there are other companies that compare favorably. Our very favorite tour was in France, through a company I found at a late date (the one who has not solicited a review). The worst tour? - the TripAdvisor number one ranked tour company for the Amalfi Coast!

I think Len hit the nail on the head - the personal touch made all the difference in the world.

Since I am planning the Baltic Tours for a group of 9, I'm hopping to avoid the same pitfalls. Right now, SPB is looking really good. Viktoria has been very responsive.

Just wanted to "echo" the posts from Len, Kirk and Bob! I organized the 2-day deluxe tour for 15, from our roll call, with SPB this past May; and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Viktoria and her assistant, Anthony were a pleasure to work with prior to our arrival; and our guide, Katja and our driver, Andrew masterfully led us through the city on one of its busiest days...its birthday! One of my requirements was to visit Yusopov's Palace where the murder of Rasputin took place. It was amazing!

Carolyn

Just wanted to "echo" the posts from Len, Kirk and Bob! I organized the 2-day deluxe tour for 15, from our roll call, with SPB this past May; and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Viktoria and her assistant, Anthony were a pleasure to work with prior to our arrival; and our guide, Katja and our driver, Andrew masterfully led us through the city on one of its busiest days...its birthday! One of my requirements was to visit Yusopov's Palace where the murder of Rasputin took place. It was amazing!

Carolyn

I forgot to ask (and don't know if the rules allow it), but can you tell me the company you used for the Amalfi Coast. We are cruising Italy/Croatia next May and Naples is on our itinerary. Thanks. Carolyn

BTW I see that we are South Shore neighbors.

When we went, one of the things we wanted to do was to eat some Russian food and, if possible, eat in a Russian Restaurant. On one of the SPB Tours, we were able to accomplish both. As was said, different strokes for different folks, but I just cannot image why one would want to eat in a van, when you can sit down and relax and enjoy a meal.

I cannot speak for all the Tour companies, but they are not on a 9-5 schedule. If you are suppose to see certain things you WILL see them, regardless of how long it takes you to do it. It's not like if you take 1/2 hour for lunch your touring will be cut short by 1/2 hour/ They give you approximate times you will be back at the ship, but since the restaurants are usually the first day, if you got back 1/2 later it would be no big deal. Unless, of course, you had an evening entertainment planned.

On our first day, we had absolutely splendid day. So some of the things we were scheduled to do on day 2, where moved to day one to take advantage of the glorious weather. We got back to the ship about an hour later than planned, but no one cared and no one missed anything. It is impossible to stick to an exact schedule.

That is the best thing about the independent tours; they can and will adjust the schedules for weather, for traffic, for anything that may throw plans into disarray. In the end you will see and do everything you are supposed to see and do.

Cheers

Len

Sippican ... with what cruise line are you sailing? We're on a 14-day Baltics cruise with Princess leaving Southampton on 7 July. If that's your cruise too, come and join us in the roll call!

More to the point :D ... we've booked a tour through SPB mostly because of the reputation with CCers and because their responses to our emails were so prompt and they are clearly happy to accommodate all our quirky requests. I realize that may not help much as we've not actually HAD the tour yet but we're very very pleased with our choice.

I forgot to ask (and don't know if the rules allow it), but can you tell me the company you used for the Amalfi Coast. We are cruising Italy/Croatia next May and Naples is on our itinerary. Thanks. Carolyn

BTW I see that we are South Shore neighbors.

Hi Carolyn, I am currently in Avon, in the midst of a move to our retirement home in NH, but lived in Plymouth for 24 years. Love the area!

We used Simply Amalfi from Salerno (RC's "Naples" port). They are top-rated on Trip Advisor. My review should be posted on TA within the next day or so. Let's just say our group of 8 was all in agreement that our driver needed a major attitude adjustment! We also used Romeinlimo for Rome and Florence. Great service. My favorite tours were with Barcelona Day Tours and Exclusive Riviera in France. I think sooooo much depends upon the driver. We loved Dubrovnik, Croatia, one of our favorite port days of all.

Hi Carolyn, I am currently in Avon, in the midst of a move to our retirement home in NH, but lived in Plymouth for 24 years. Love the area!

We used Simply Amalfi from Salerno (RC's "Naples" port). They are top-rated on Trip Advisor. My review should be posted on TA within the next day or so. Let's just say our group of 8 was all in agreement that our driver needed a major attitude adjustment! We also used Romeinlimo for Rome and Florence. Great service. My favorite tours were with Barcelona Day Tours and Exclusive Riviera in France. I think sooooo much depends upon the driver. We loved Dubrovnik, Croatia, one of our favorite port days of all.

Thank you. I look forward to reading your review. Dubrovnik is also on our itinerary. Did you take a tour there, or DIY? Carolyn

Thank you. I look forward to reading your review. Dubrovnik is also on our itinerary. Did you take a tour there, or DIY? Carolyn

We stayed in Dubrovnik last October for four days and there is absolutely no reason for a tour. The city is compact and the guidebooks offer excellent information concerning the sights. Be sure to have a drink in the small cafe on the outside of the walls on the north sideof the old town. It is out of the way and very charming. We loved Dubrovnik. It is breathtakingly beautiful and charming. During the day there is a huge crush of tourists however.

Take the tram to the top of the mountain for a good museum dealing with the war and the defense of Dubrovnik. Walk the walls.

There is a separate fortress which does not get crowded which is across a small inlet from the walled city. More than enough to fill your day. You will love it.

We stayed in Dubrovnik last October for four days and there is absolutely no reason for a tour. The city is compact and the guidebooks offer excellent information concerning the sights. Be sure to have a drink in the small cafe on the outside of the walls on the north sideof the old town. It is out of the way and very charming. We loved Dubrovnik. It is breathtakingly beautiful and charming. During the day there is a huge crush of tourists however.

Take the tram to the top of the mountain for a good museum dealing with the war and the defense of Dubrovnik. Walk the walls.

There is a separate fortress which does not get crowded which is across a small inlet from the walled city. More than enough to fill your day. You will love it.

Thanks, Bob, for the great information!! CC members are the BEST. Carolyn

Thanks, Bob, for the great information!! CC members are the BEST. Carolyn

Thanks.

The only thing I will add is that you should find out what options there are for getting to the old city from your ship. Some of the smaller ships tender right outside the harbor - but those are the very samll exclusive lines with 100-150 cabins. The larger ones dock or tender, don't know which, a few miles north of the old city. If your line has a shuttle, that is probably best. Otherwise look into taxi options, it shouldn't be too expensive to prebook one.

That is the only reason I might consider a ship's excursion - to get to the old city quickly. But that is not really an excursion, more of a shuttle service, which hopefully your line offers.

Archived