Open Seating Question

NelleS

We're on the Zuiderdam this Nov., and have Open Seating. From what I've read, the first thing we should do upon boarding is make MDR dinner reservations, correct? Also, if I understand correctly, we can only make those reservations for 3 days in advance.

TIA,

Ellen

You don't have to make reservations -- you can just show up whenever you are ready to have dinner.

But -- yes -- you can make reservations for 3 days at a time.

There is one catch -- you can only make reservations for times between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 on most ships. Some ships vary this time a little.

We had open seating on a recent Noordam Med. cruise. We never had a problem as long as we showed up before 7:00. After that we noticed a line but not a long one.

Funny thing - one night (maybe the second night) service was really slow and we left before our dessert order arrived as we had things to do. They delivered our chosen desserts plus a couple of extras to our cabin. Every night after that, we had a reserved invitation from the dining room officer to dine at 6:30 at table 141. We only arrived at 6:30 one time as we were very busy having a great time. But we still had no trouble getting in and seemed to get that table even if we were late.

So reserve if you wish but I do not see it as a necessity unless you have a large party - we were 4.

Thank you both for your replies - very helpful. It'll be just DH & me, and we'd like a table for 2.

Eating before 7 is NO problem. Since we retired 6 years ago, we've joined the "dinner by 6PM" crowd.:D

All but one cruise we usually show up at 7:00 and don't have a problem.

The last cruise we showed up the 2nd night and there was a 30 minute wait. The next night we tried to time it differently.

This was the first two days of the cruise. I think the first two days they are trying to get the timing on everyone's eating schedule.

I love open seating you get a chance to meet a lot of different people.

Usually if you don't mind sitting with others and there are only two of you you will usually get in right a way.

If you want a table for two, I suggest you make reservations. When you board the ship, go to the Lido. Right off one set of elevators will be a podium with someone stationed there to take your reservation requests.

We started our cruise by making reservations and it worked out very well as we wanted tables by the windows. However as our 14 day cruise continued, we ended up not making reservations as we found we never had to wait for a table on our particular cruise. This way we could go for dinner whenever it worked out best for us.

Until you discover if there will be long lines for dinner on your particular cruise, I suggest you make those reservations. Many say that they needed reservations for the Caneletto (free alternative restaurant). We made a reservation for our first dinner there, but soon learned it never was full. So after that we just dropped by and we were always seated immediately.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

We have not yet been on the Zuiderdam, but we loved Open Seating on the 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam. The main advantage for us was not having to eat on a schedule but being free to eat whenever we felt like it each day, so we never bothered to make reservations.

We were usually seated right away as soon as we showed up or we only needed to wait a few minutes. A few times, when we wanted a table for two and none was available immediately, they gave us one of those vibrating beepers and we went to hang out at a bar or in the big, open library area until we were called.

In the library area we sat in the comfortable reclining chairs looking out at the sea and read magazines, or read the New York Times on the computer or did puzzles while we waited. It was not a problem for us at all and we enjoyed the wait that way. We plan to do it the same way on future cruises.

But we are easy-going, flexible types who do not always eat meals at the same time every day at home and like to be spontaneous. Those who prefer to eat on a fixed schedule would probably be better off with traditional dining or making reservations in advance.

We had open seating on a recent Noordam Med. cruise. We never had a problem as long as we showed up before 7:00. After that we noticed a line but not a long one.

Funny thing - one night (maybe the second night) service was really slow and we left before our dessert order arrived as we had things to do. They delivered our chosen desserts plus a couple of extras to our cabin. Every night after that, we had a reserved invitation from the dining room officer to dine at 6:30 at table 141. We only arrived at 6:30 one time as we were very busy having a great time. But we still had no trouble getting in and seemed to get that table even if we were late.

So reserve if you wish but I do not see it as a necessity unless you have a large party - we were 4.

That is exactly what our experience has been, as long as you avoid the 7-8 time frame you can usually walk right in. The only time we have used reservations has been when we had a special occasion.

Kirk

I think the best time to eat to avoid the crowds must depend on the particular cruise. I know when we went to the Main Dining Room around 8:00 p.m. we never had to wait and the dining room was not that full. It seemed the earlier we went, the busier it was.

We're on the Zuiderdam this Nov., and have Open Seating. From what I've read, the first thing we should do upon boarding is make MDR dinner reservations, correct? Also, if I understand correctly, we can only make those reservations for 3 days in advance.

TIA,

Ellen

We had open seating, never made MDR reservations. We just showed up about 6:30pm and rarely had to wait to be seated.

Just booked a 28 day Panama and were given Open Seating as first seating was booked up. This is our first time with O/S and appreciate reading some of the posts. One question though, can you request a table for two, or are you given whatever is available when you make your reservation?

Just booked a 28 day Panama and were given Open Seating as first seating was booked up. This is our first time with O/S and appreciate reading some of the posts. One question though, can you request a table for two, or are you given whatever is available when you make your reservation?

Yes, when you make a reservation, you can request a table for two. If you make your reservation at the stand by the Lido, they will have the "map" of the dining room and you can see the location of the tables and will know what table they are reserving for you.

Even if you don't make a reservation, you can request a table for two when you arrivea the dining room. Obviously without a reservation there can be no guarentees you will get a table for two, or you might have to wait, but it is surely an option.

We probably ate at a table for two a little more than half of the nights. The other times we ate with others. (Depended how social and/or tired I was feeling that night.) The only experience I didn't like was dining at a table for eight. It was too hard to have conversations at such a large table. That only happened once though.

We really like open dining. We would never choose the traditional dining. We cruise on port intensive itineraries and I would not want to have to rush back to the ship just to make my dining time. We cruise for the places we will see, not for what the ship has to offer.

First time - HAL - first time - Deluxe Verandah Suite - first time - Open Dining.

As I understand it - passengers in this category have first preferences at any time. ---- does this mean outside booking times quoted earlier above

I also am led to believe that we can make all our bookings through the concierge in Neptune - and not bother with the person standing by the Lido taking bookings.

What priorities can one expect if you just front up and there is a queue and 2 of you

Would someone who has been sailing HAL for a while in S suites - care to explain - and any experiences - welcomed by a newbie

First time - HAL - first time - Deluxe Verandah Suite - first time - Open Dining.

As I understand it - passengers in this category have first preferences at any time. ---- does this mean outside booking times quoted earlier above

I also am led to believe that we can make all our bookings through the concierge in Neptune - and not bother with the person standing by the Lido taking bookings.

What priorities can one expect if you just front up and there is a queue and 2 of you

Would someone who has been sailing HAL for a while in S suites - care to explain - and any experiences - welcomed by a newbie

I don't know for sure if you get priority dinner reservations through the concierge, but it seems to be true. However, I don't think suite pax can get a reservation outside the usual time frames they allow.

You won't get any kind of suite priority as a walkin at the MDR (BTW, the Lido is the buffet, the MDR is the main dining room), so definitely use the concierge for that. It's part of their job and they're happy to do it.

Another thing the concierge can do for you is take your dinner order if you want room service. You'll get the MDR dinner menu delivered to your cabin each day. If you think you might want to have room service dinner you can pre-order it through the concierge. Just sit down with them and the menu and tell them what you want. It can be a nice option for a balcony dinner on a warm evening, or in the cabin after a long/late shore excursion.

Yes, when you make a reservation, you can request a table for two. If you make your reservation at the stand by the Lido, they will have the "map" of the dining room and you can see the location of the tables and will know what table they are reserving for you.

Even if you don't make a reservation, you can request a table for two when you arrivea the dining room. Obviously without a reservation there can be no guarentees you will get a table for two, or you might have to wait, but it is surely an option.

We probably ate at a table for two a little more than half of the nights. The other times we ate with others. (Depended how social and/or tired I was feeling that night.) The only experience I didn't like was dining at a table for eight. It was too hard to have conversations at such a large table. That only happened once though.

We really like open dining. We would never choose the traditional dining. We cruise on port intensive itineraries and I would not want to have to rush back to the ship just to make my dining time. We cruise for the places we will see, not for what the ship has to offer.

Great info! Thanks so much!

I *think,* and someone can correct me on this, but I think priority reservations for DVS and PH occupants only applies to specialty restaurants.

If you have assigned late dining at a table of 8 and you want to dine at a different time, can you do that with reservations or can you change to anytime dining if you don't like assigned dining?

You can change from assigned to anytime, but then you can't change back.

If you wanted to eat at a different time for one night, you could do the Pinnacle, Caneletto, or Lido, and then return to your regular table the next night. If you want to make the change apply to the rest of your cruise, you could speak to the maitre d' and ask to make the change.

Archived