Can HAL put us in a quad cabin if I booked 2 guaranteed cabins?

Yungs

Since you mentioned this is a family of 4 - 2 adults and 2 children -- I can see where the TA or HAL would "assume" that you want to be together ---- however, that is still no excuse for not informing you BEFORE this was done so you could have made a decision ---- if you can't get your second cabin back --- better get a FULL refund for the second cabin not to mention some OBC's for the inconvenience and some MAJOR "thank you perks" from your TA. I would not book with them again !

PS. Did you happen to check the "upgrade" box when you made the original reservations ??? If so, HAL can move you wherever they want in the same catagory or above without giving you a choice. At least that is my understanding. We never select this option for that very reason.

Good Luck !

Yes, HAL can move a guarantee booking to any cabin in that category or higher, but these were 2 separate bookings. I don't think HAL can just cancel one booking and combine the 2 bookings into 1 cabin! Somehow I have no doubt this TA took it upon herself to say this family would be fine in a quad.

Checking "upgrade" on a guarantee booking wouldn't mean anything because pax has already agreed to an upgrade no matter where when they booked a guarantee

I think now that I hear what the OP stated about using the husbands Hotel address I got bets I know what happened and yes HAL and the TA may have done this together.

Yungs have you done your on-line registration? Did you use the US address for your husband then for the rest of the family use your Australia address? If so then HAL may have forced the TA to cancel the cabin you and a child were in. There needs to be one US or Canadian resident in each cabin. But don't be surprised if they need some form of proof your husband resides at that address in the US. I think it is possible that the Travel agent may have been trying to protect their commission. It is not that you cannot keep the cruise and travel it is that the agency will not get one dime in commission for selling it to you. If the travel agency discounted the cruise then they are really in trouble because HAL will call back more money than they collected.

Thanks for that Lisa, that is exactly what we did. We've done 4 cruises already and no problems with that so far. And I always give them the full details, so not trying to hide anything. They know we live in Australia. The TA was surprised that this happened, he said that he was not aware they had done it and was going to look into it. Same online agency as last few times, but different person.

I don't think you should wait a couple of days to find out. I would call the TA every hour until you get an answer. Ask to speak to a supervisor. Do whatever you have to do. The longer you wait, the less chance you have for a good resolution.
You think they should call their U.S. travel agent every hour? The OP lives in Australia. :confused: Not the most feasible solution IMO.

Skype or Google Talk calls are free or nearly so.

DON

Good points. We don't use either so I rarely consider them.

Now, there is the time difference to consider and if the TA is open extended hours.

I just find e-mail so much easier when contacting DH's Australian family members.

It is probably an error. Once, when the 3 of us were checking in at embarkation, we found out that one name had been erroneously placed with another family, and 2 of us with a totally separate couple! We sat around for a while while they scurried to find us a cabin for 3 that was unoccupied (we were rather late checking in). We were upgraded from the bowels of the ship to a balcony for our patience. I don't know what they would have done if they couldn't find another cabin.

Contacting the US TAs is a pain for us as they open around 10-11pm and close 6-7am our time, depending on state and agency hours

The Aussie address shouldn't have caused the problem as we have booked my Aunt through our US TA and she has all Aussie details and her mariner number shows Aussie as she has cruised by herself through Aussie agents.

I think things might be changing for those booking outside of North America. Here is a copy and paste from one online travel agency I have used to make a booking recently. Note that this is the very first thing mentioned in the Terms and Conditions (bold is theirs):

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Princess/Holland America guests

Pricing is based on at least one passenger per reservation being US/Canada/Mexico residents. Any reservation not pre-registering with at least one passenger from these countries is subject to immediate cancellation or fare increase of up to 20% of the total trip cost.

I think things might be changing for those booking outside of North America. Here is a copy and paste from one online travel agency I have used to make a booking recently. Note that this is the very first thing mentioned in the Terms and Conditions (bold is theirs):

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Princess/Holland America guests

Pricing is based on at least one passenger per reservation being US/Canada/Mexico residents. Any reservation not pre-registering with at least one passenger from these countries is subject to immediate cancellation or fare increase of up to 20% of the total trip cost.

Thank you for this information. I didn't know that. That certainly explains what may have happened with the OP.

Archived