Question re: On-board credit on various cruiselines

agabbymama

I was wondering why people buy on-board credit before the cruise.

I thought I was being smart, and over about 9 months before my cruise, I purchased increments anywhere from $100 to $500 in on-board credit. When the time for our cruise came, I had $1100 in on-board credit. Thinking I had all the money we would need.

When we checked in, they still demanded a credit card. I showed them my receipts for the on-board credit, but it made no difference, he said he had to have a credit card to open my on-board account. Or I could go to the credit desk and give them $500 cash, but they had to have something to open the on-board account. HELLO, did not my deposits of $1100 already do that?:confused:

I was a little put out, but gave them my credit card. I watched my account and asked for a print out every couple of days.

NOW to the end of the cruise. The last night of the cruise, I went to the credit desk and asked for a refund of my on-board credit. I was told the $100 TA on-board credit was non-refundable (which I knew) and that my purchased on-board credit would be mailed to me by check. I could expect it in a month or so. SAY WHAT! If I owed them $400, they would charge my credit card or expect payment before letting me leave the ship. I argued for about 15 minutes to no avail.

I did go and spend the rest of the money. And my final bill the last morning still stated 21 cent credit would be mailed to my house by check.

I have cruised 8 times, but never purchased on-board credit myself before, only had the TA on-board credit to spend. Does anyone know if this procedure is the same on all the various cruiselines? I will not be doing so again, if and when I cruise again, I will just use my credit card and pay for it when I get home.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

When you did the online check in .. did you put cash for your onboard account??

I have never heard of that happening or them forcing you to go to set it up with a credit card.

I dont know what cruiseline you are referring to .. as I have gotten cash if there is left over refundable OBC, just asked for it. Or they will give you a check the last morning.

Your whole story does not mirror the two lines I have had extra OBC. Why not mention the line you are speaking about?

When you did the online check in .. did you put cash for your onboard account??

I have never heard of that happening or them forcing you to go to set it up with a credit card.

I dont know what cruiseline you are referring to .. as I have gotten cash if there is left over refundable OBC, just asked for it. Or they will give you a check the last morning.

Your whole story does not mirror the two lines I have had extra OBC. Why not mention the line you are speaking about?

I intentionally did not name the line, because I wanted to see what others had to say. After I get a few responses, I will post the name.

I purchased the on-board credit by phone and received receipts that it was on my account. The Supervisor at check-in would not even look at my receipts. Said he had to have a credit card to open my on-board account.

I had never done this before either on any of the 6 cruiselines I have cruised, I always just used a credit card at check-in.

Eleanor's signature shows she just got off NCL. And yes, NCL's policy is to mail you a check, so you do have to wait.

I cannot understand why they insisted on a credit card up front, as the prepaid credit was a lot higher than what they would have required for a cash account. I suppose the best thing to do in that case is to state at check in that you will operate with a cash account, and then go to the purser's desk onboard. I think that is what Eleanor was trying to do by showing the check in clerk the receipts, but perhaps she did not say the magic words "cash account". The clerk can only open an onboard account with a credit card. If you make it a cash account, the card the clerk gives you is just a room key. Then you have to go to the purser's office to set up the cash account. Perhaps that is why the check-in clerk insisted on a credit card, in order to open an account.

However, I don't personally understand the benefit of pre-paying your own OBC, either. I would rather take the money and save it myself and then just pay off the credit card. If necessary, you can open a savings account at a local bank and keep the money separate, but it is still YOUR money, not the cruise line's, until you spend it. That said, I know that many people still prefer to sock it away with the cruise line so they cannot get their hands on it. I guess it is a matter of where one is on the scale of delayed gratification and being able to save for a specific use.

Eleanor's signature shows she just got off NCL. And yes, NCL's policy is to mail you a check, so you do have to wait.

I cannot understand why they insisted on a credit card up front, as the prepaid credit was a lot higher than what they would have required for a cash account. I suppose the best thing to do in that case is to state at check in that you will operate with a cash account, and then go to the purser's desk onboard. I think that is what Eleanor was trying to do by showing the check in clerk the receipts, but perhaps she did not say the magic words "cash account". The clerk can only open an onboard account with a credit card. If you make it a cash account, the card the clerk gives you is just a room key. Then you have to go to the purser's office to set up the cash account. Perhaps that is why the check-in clerk insisted on a credit card, in order to open an account.

However, I don't personally understand the benefit of pre-paying your own OBC, either. I would rather take the money and save it myself and then just pay off the credit card. If necessary, you can open a savings account at a local bank and keep the money separate, but it is still YOUR money, not the cruise line's, until you spend it. That said, I know that many people still prefer to sock it away with the cruise line so they cannot get their hands on it. I guess it is a matter of where one is on the scale of delayed gratification and being able to save for a specific use.

Very observant cherylandtk, I forgot the cruise was in my signature.

And you are probably right that I didn't use the magic words "cash account". I had marked the on-line check in with cash account though. But the Supervisor didn't explain that either.

Nope, I won't be doing it again either. Thanks for the responses folks.

Archived