Liscense/Birth Certificate Issue

jmjpro

The government doesn't care who leaves, they are only concerned with who returns. The lines check them because they are subject to penalties if they allow someone on board, if the person cannot visit all of their locations.

One of the reasons that every public carrier checks travel documentation before international travel is that should they allow a person to board who is not able to enter the destination country the carrier is responsible for taking care of the passenger.

In the case of a closed loop cruse, cruise lines want to assure themselves that the US will allow all boarding passengers to re-enter the US at the end of the voyage.

Wrong. Check with the cruiseline. I have cruised 23 times (now with a passport). For many years I did not have a passport. Your PICTURE ID must match your cruise docs. That is it. Yes , you do have to provide your bc. But it is your PICTURE ID, and your cruise docs that must match. My maiden name is on my bc. My drivers license has my married name (now divorced). I always used my bc and dl... on which the names DID NOT MATCH. Call someone at Carnival if you dont believe a near milestone cruiser.

Yes this is 100% correct.....

So I get in the line to go through security prior to getting to the gates. I hand my airline ticket and my passport over to the agent standing there. He/she is TSA. They are NOT employees of the airline I am flying or you are flying. They are TSA and they are checking to make sure you are the ticket holder and that you and the ticket match your photo ID. If they do not match, you don't get to go into the terminal to the gates. Now the employee(s) of the carrier do check my ID briefly when they take my luggage and give me the boarding pass. But it is TSA who scrutinizes the ID. TSA is a government agency.

when you fly international the airline checks your documentation before you ever get near security. Online check in is not allowed, you must personally present your passport and any required visas or you do not get on the plane, much different than flying domestically, and the TSA agents are just checking identity, not validity of your docs.

when you fly international the airline checks your documentation before you ever get near security. Online check in is not allowed, you must personally present your passport and any required visas or you do not get on the plane, much different than flying domestically, and the TSA agents are just checking identity, not validity of your docs.

Using the same reasoning: then Port Authority agents (whom one must pass before reaching the cruiseline employees) are just checking your identity as well - making sure your ID matches the cruise ticket/boarding pass? If not - you don't get acces to the cruise terminal. Those traveling with BC's and DL, don't whip out the BC until the cruise employee then? I have only ever cruised with a passport so I do not know when the BC is presented, but would like to know.

Using the same reasoning: then Port Authority agents (whom one must pass before reaching the cruiseline employees) are just checking your identity as well - making sure your ID matches the cruise ticket/boarding pass? If not - you don't get acces to the cruise terminal. Those traveling with BC's and DL, don't whip out the BC until the cruise employee then? I have only ever cruised with a passport so I do not know when the BC is presented, but would like to know.

B.C. is presented at check in......there are still a few in our group that use them

Wrong. Check with the cruiseline. I have cruised 23 times (now with a passport). For many years I did not have a passport. Your PICTURE ID must match your cruise docs. That is it. Yes , you do have to provide your bc. But it is your PICTURE ID, and your cruise docs that must match. My maiden name is on my bc. My drivers license has my married name (now divorced). I always used my bc and dl... on which the names DID NOT MATCH. Call someone at Carnival if you dont believe a near milestone cruiser.

Not trying to argue with you but I did just speak to a rep at carnival tonight (called again to ease my mind). I told her we would be traveling with BCs and the FIRST thing she asked was did I have my marriage license since my names won't match (BC to driver's license). I have been married 11 years and she stated I still had to have my marriage license to bridge the last name difference even though my married last name is on all 3 of my kids BCs and I booked under married name. Funny thing is I didn't call to ask this and already had my marriage license with my docs because last time I cruised I also had to show it.

FYI, most airlines do allow you to check-in online for international flights now. But, you do still have to do a passport/visa check with an airline agent before you are allowed to board the plane.

Not trying to argue with you but I did just speak to a rep at carnival tonight (called again to ease my mind). I told her we would be traveling with BCs and the FIRST thing she asked was did I have my marriage license since my names won't match (BC to driver's license). I have been married 11 years and she stated I still had to have my marriage license to bridge the last name difference even though my married last name is on all 3 of my kids BCs and I booked under married name. Funny thing is I didn't call to ask this and already had my marriage license with my docs because last time I cruised I also had to show it.

The sad part is, if you call right back and ask the same question. You will be given a different answer! Call three times and you will get three different answers! Trust me, I have tried.

I think we are all set. I have called carnival several times, emailed carnival. Called the number for port people listed here. Everyone has told me that We are correct with listing her cruise documents in the name of her govt ID name.

I also received this email from Carnival today in reply to my emailed question...

Thank you for contacting us. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.

I checked with the port embarkation staff. They advised she will not have a problem with a hyphenated name on one ID, and a non-hyphenated name on the other. So long as all other information matches (date of birth, age, etc.) she will be fine.

Just let her know that if the day comes when she gets a passport that may be issued with the hyphenated name. A passport would be necessary if she were to fly internationally..

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance. Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines.

This is a good example why people should get passports........Carnival reps are a dime a dozen and give out different and incorrect info all the time.......even when you apply for a passport a marriage certificate is not required.......good lord....

The sad part is, if you call right back and ask the same question. You will be given a different answer! Call three times and you will get three different answers! Trust me, I have tried.

I think we are all set. I have called carnival several times, emailed carnival. Called the number for port people listed here. Everyone has told me that We are correct with listing her cruise documents in the name of her govt ID name.

I also received this email from Carnival today in reply to my emailed question...

I checked with the port embarkation staff. They advised she will not have a problem with a hyphenated name on one ID, and a non-hyphenated name on the other. So long as all other information matches (date of birth, age, etc.) she will be fine.

Just let her know that if the day comes when she gets a passport that may be issued with the hyphenated name. A passport would be necessary if she were to fly internationally..

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance. Thank you for choosing Carnival Cruise Lines.

Yeah finally a rep that gets it........and this is what experienced cruisers have been saying all along.....have a wonderful cruise!

I am so happy for you! It is awful to wonder "what if" before a vacation. It may be it is OK because it is actually her hyphenated name NOT a complete change like being married..who knows. I did actually speak with 3 different people (I have called several times over the last few months about DHs birth certificate) and they have all told me to bring my marriage licence but this may be a just in case precaution..who knows. I am glad you won't have any issues and enjoy your cruise. We leave today for Ft. Lauderdale and cruising on Monday woohoo!

Her cruise docs and picture id (license) need to match. She will be fine. And I must say it irks me when this is all in print at Carnival and their reps don't know the answer......

It is not the responsibility of a Carnival rep without seeing the documents to make a decision for a government agency.

Can you imagine the law suit when immigrations says the opposite of what a Carnival rep told someone.

The easiest thing is get a passport or passport card and that will solve the issue. You name will be what is on the passport.

Why would anyone ask other than the government if your ID is OK for traveling?

IT is NOT up to any travel agent to tell someone if they have good documents for travel. How does the person even know that a driver licenses is not a forgery?

I don't think most of the immigration people even know what is required because we have all these stupid exceptions to a passport. If the government would just require a passport than no problem, the rep could just say you need a passport.

It is not the responsibility of a Carnival rep without seeing the documents to make a decision for a government agency.

Can you imagine the law suit when immigrations says the opposite of what a Carnival rep told someone.

The easiest thing is get a passport or passport card and that will solve the issue. You name will be what is on the passport.

Why would anyone ask other than the government if your ID is OK for traveling?

IT is NOT up to any travel agent to tell someone if they have good documents for travel. How does the person even know that a driver licenses is not a forgery?

I don't think most of the immigration people even know what is required because we have all these stupid exceptions to a passport. If the government would just require a passport than no problem, the rep could just say you need a passport.

They are employed by Carnival therefore should be required to know Carnivals policies.........

I have cruised 5 times. The first was my honeymoon and I had booked in my married name but of course all of my documents were in my maiden name. They changed the name on my booking to my madien name. Next 3 cruises I was asked for my Marrige Certificate when it was noticed that I had different name then my DL. The 5th time I had a passport, no worries.

OP I wish you well on your cruise. Glad you got an answer. Take a copy of the email with you, just in case.

I didn't say you could or could not afford one. I was replying to agc921's remark.

But I would say, sometimes it is immaterial as to whether you NEED one or not, it will make life easier (i.e. no time wasted here and on the phone trying to find out if what you have is okay). Peace of mind can be priceless!

The OP's DD is turning 18 in a few months. If she got a a passport now for $110, it would need to be renewed when she turns 18 - another $110. If she can cruise with just a BC and DL, it makes sense to wait.

The OP's DD is turning 18 in a few months. If she got a a passport now for $110, it would need to be renewed when she turns 18 - another $110. If she can cruise with just a BC and DL, it makes sense to wait.

I believe your passport is good for 10 years if you apply when you are 16 & older

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

wrong? Because you didn't have to do it that way?

here's a thought. Maybe it's done the same exact way at every port or by every agent.

The poster (Near the Beach) said she had to show documentation of the name change. Now you are saying she is a liar?

There's never consistentcy in every aspect. Could it be some ask and some don't or Near the Beach is just flat out wrong as you state?:confused:

Bill

No need to be a meanie.. nobody called anyone a liar... the reason I said it is wrong, is because it is wrong.

I have cruised many many times and know the policies... It could be that there are still some reps that dont know their own policies...

[/i][/font][/color]

Good deal! Have a perfect cruise!

No need to be a meanie.. nobody called anyone a liar... the reason I said it is wrong, is because it is wrong.

I have cruised many many times and know the policies... It could be that there are still some reps that dont know their own policies...

Agreed. I have yet to see anyone post where it is written that a ML is needed as a bridging document between a BC and DL with a married name. Everything "written" says the boarding document must match the gov't issued photo id otherwise a bridging document (ie ML) OR a valid DL (in the boarding document name) must be shown. I have never been asked in 8 cruises with BC and DL to show my ML even though my DL is in my married name. My DL has always matched my boarding document.

I asked a Carnival Rep via e-mail once what was required and he said a ML was needed. I had seen the question asked here before with different answers and people with different experiences. I asked where this written that it was required. He couldn't provide that. I have been taking mine with me just in case since it doesn't take up that much space and doesn't cost me anything to take. But you better believe, if I am ever asked for it, I am going to demand to see where it is "written" that it is required before I just hand it over. To me there is no excuse for not knowing your own companies written and governmental policies on something you are specifically checking for.

To those of you who are sure a ML is required....Can you show us where that requirement is written?

Agreed. I have yet to see anyone post where it is written that a ML is needed as a bridging document between a BC and DL with a married name. Everything "written" says the boarding document must match the gov't issued photo id otherwise a bridging document (ie ML) OR a valid DL (in the boarding document name) must be shown. I have never been asked in 8 cruises with BC and DL to show my ML even though my DL is in my married name. My DL has always matched my boarding document.

I asked a Carnival Rep via e-mail once what was required and he said a ML was needed. I had seen the question asked here before with different answers and people with different experiences. I asked where this written that it was required. He couldn't provide that. I have been taking mine with me just in case since it doesn't take up that much space and doesn't cost me anything to take. But you better believe, if I am ever asked for it, I am going to demand to see where it is "written" that it is required before I just hand it over. To me there is no excuse for not knowing your own companies written and governmental policies on something you are specifically checking for.

To those of you who are sure a ML is required....Can you show us where that requirement is written?

I haven't ever seen it written but was asked for it on my last cruise and as I stated earlier the CCL rep reminded me to bring it again Monday and I have been married 11 years. Maybe she just told me to bring it as a precaution but since I was asked for it on my past sailing I already had it with my BC to bring.

I haven't ever seen it written but was asked for it on my last cruise and as I stated earlier the CCL rep reminded me to bring it again Monday and I have been married 11 years. Maybe she just told me to bring it as a precaution but since I was asked for it on my past sailing I already had it with my BC to bring.

If they ask you for it, ask them if they can show you where it is written that it is required. I'm really curious as to what they would come up with. If it really is required it should be written somewhere in Carnival FAQ's or in the WHTI rules....otherwise how would anyone know to bring it (besides reading about it on CC that is)????

They are employed by Carnival therefore should be required to know Carnivals policies.........

They should not be the responsible party to tell you if your birth certificate is OK.

Yes the rep should be able to tell you where the government requirement is, but it is your responsibility to make sure that your documentation is what the government wants.

What Carnival policies regards to immigration documents are not government required policies?

I don't know if you understand that Carnival dos not make immigration policies.

Do you think that the Carnival rep should know and be current on the visa requirements for every county and for every type of person requesting the information? They should know what the visa requirement is for a illegal alien in the USA that want to visit Spain for example?

Why do you think that a Carnival rep should know all the different types of birth certificates from all past years and tell a person if theirs is good?

If they ask you for it, ask them if they can show you where it is written that it is required. I'm really curious as to what they would come up with. If it really is required it should be written somewhere in Carnival FAQ's or in the WHTI rules....otherwise how would anyone know to bring it (besides reading about it on CC that is)????

LOL! I would like to see the look on the reps face also:D

They should not be the responsible party to tell you if your birth certificate is OK.

Yes the rep should be able to tell you where the government requirement is, but it is your responsibility to make sure that your documentation is what the government wants.

What Carnival policies regards to immigration documents are not government required policies?

I don't know if you understand that Carnival dos not make immigration policies.

Do you think that the Carnival rep should know and be current on the visa requirements for every county and for every type of person requesting the information? They should know what the visa requirement is for a illegal alien in the USA that want to visit Spain for example?

Why do you think that a Carnival rep should know all the different types of birth certificates from all past years and tell a person if theirs is good?

I was referring to what is required to board a ship. Which is the cruise docs and gov. picture id must match........this rep was saying the name on the birth certificate must match the id and cruise docs regardless of a name change lol! Which is impossible. That is the policy I was referring to. The type of birth certificate was not in question...

Archived