When to be back on board?

RumpunchGirl

I haven't been on a Carnival cruise for a while so I'm wondering. When you're in port, when do you need to be back of the ship? Is it an hour prior to leaving, or 1/2 hr? :confused:

The 'rule' is a half hour before sail at the latest. We always make sure we're back at least an hour before sail time, and make sure your watch is set to ship time, as it may differ from local time.

I haven't been on a Carnival cruise for a while so I'm wondering. When you're in port, when do you need to be back of the ship? Is it an hour prior to leaving, or 1/2 hr? :confused:

On our cruise 2 weeks ago, its was an hour, but be there or they WILL leave you. We had a guy that ALMOST missed the boat, he got there 30 minutes before leaving time, they were tearing down the ramp as he got there, so he was lucky. Most people don't understand that there is a lot involved (untieing the boat, etc) to get done in order to leave on scheduled time, so being back when they say is important!!!

Most of the time, they recommend you be back on board no later than 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure. If it's a tendering port, they will go out of their way to tell you when the last tender is scheduled. Naturally, there are always people running up to the gangway minutes before they drop the lines. :rolleyes:

The time you officially need to be back will also be posted in the FunTimes, and also on the gangplank as you exit the ship. As elchuchio said - make sure you keep your watch on ship time - do NOT go by your cell phone time, as it will automatically change to match the country/island you are on!

Thanks for your input. I'm just trying to plan my day in Curacao. We really want to do a Sail and Snorkel thing but for some reason, Carnival doesn't offer this type of excursion in this port. One tour I found ends 2 1/2 hours before the ship sails. That would leave us 1 1/2hours to make our way back and get on board an hour before sailing. So, I have to decide if that is enough time. The company that offers the tour is only about 15 minutes away from port by cab. But, once in Grand Cayman, we nearly missed the ship because of a traffic accident.:eek:

The time you officially need to be back will also be posted in the FunTimes, and also on the gangplank as you exit the ship. As elchuchio said - make sure you keep your watch on ship time - do NOT go by your cell phone time, as it will automatically change to match the country/island you are on!

Right on, more than one have gotten snared by the roaming cell phone time trap!

Right on, more than one have gotten snared by the roaming cell phone time trap!

It happened 2x on our Miracle cruise in August. In Coz 0ne of the pier runners yelled up to all of us watching (and cheering) from our balconies that "my cell phone has a different time!"

Every Carnival ship I've been on had a half hour rule. I like to shoot for 45 min to an hour because the last minute stress is not worth it! We usually bring the cut-out side flap from the daily caper, which has the return to ship time and ship contact info.

For the cruises I've been on, it's been half an hour, but I agree with the others who try to get back sooner than that so you're not rushing. Plus, it's always good to plan for the worst--if you plan on being back right on time and there are traffic problems or flat tires, etc., that you will still have that extra time. now, if you're just hanging out in the port area, you can wait right up until the time they tell you.

Archived