Major Marine Tours - Kenai Fjords Full-Day National Park Tour 6 hr or 7 1/2 hr?

TracyL

I'm trying to decide between the 6 hr or 7 1/2 hr Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine out of Seward. The only difference I see is the 7 1/2 hr adds Aialik Glacier. Is that a must see? 6 hours seems like a long enough day, however, if Aialik is something you don't want to miss I will do that one. There is only $10 difference between tours so cost doesn't factor in.

My husband will be fishing is Seward for 3 days before our cruise and since fishing isn't my thing I plan to do other things. I'm thinking of a 3 hr gray whale watching trip or the Kenai Fjords 3 hr wildlife tour (are either or both of these tours redundant when you've already done the full-day Kenai Fjords tour?) on one day and then possibly the Seavey's Ididaride Sled Dog Tours. Does anyone have any better ideas for tours our of Seward?

If you've come this far to Alaska, by all means take the extra time to go to the Aialik glacier. It can be quite active and these small boats get you much closer than anything a cruise ship will do.

You might consider spending some time at the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward. It's a research center/aquarium complex that has some great exhibits and will enhance your visit to Kenai Fjords.

You might consider spending some time at the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward. It's a research center/aquarium complex that has some great exhibits and will enhance your visit to Kenai Fjords.

Depending on your interests, the Sealife Center can be great choice. I had read of some who said a half hour was plenty. We spent several hours and did a tour. We wished we had more time to take in some of the other add on tours, but we were also going to Exit Glacier that day so had to move on. We loved the Sealife Center.

Here is a link with some activities for Seward:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1264822&highlight=dog

If you've come this far to Alaska, by all means take the extra time to go to the Aialik glacier. It can be quite active and these small boats get you much closer than anything a cruise ship will do.

Depending on your interests, the Sealife Center can be great choice. I had read of some who said a half hour was plenty. We spent several hours and did a tour. We wished we had more time to take in some of the other add on tours, but we were also going to Exit Glacier that day so had to move on. We loved the Sealife Center.

Here is a link with some activities for Seward:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1264822&highlight=dog

We get in at around noon so the Sealife Center should be a good thing to see that day.

I saw an ice hike that looks interesting, I'm in fairly good shape, I walk and run, however, at 57 I don't know if the hike would be more than I can handle. Has anyone done it?

We have done what we would call the half day tour and the full day tour. And to us the full day tour seemed a little long while the 1/2 day was just right. but if your looking for something to do I would do it as opposed to the Sea Life wildlife center which I found very boring.

We did do some walking around Seward and found the local stores fascinating. Had a halibut lunch and some very good ice cream.:D

I would do it as opposed to the Sea Life wildlife center which I found very boring.

:D

Definitely different strokes for different folks. We loved it and wished we had more time there. The add on tours help to fully appreciate the Center.

Definitely different strokes for different folks. We loved it and wished we had more time there. The add on tours help to fully appreciate the Center.

I completely agree. The focus is on education and learning something about the marine environment of Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords National Park.

As a teacher, it's nice to see something that educates people about Alaska.

Here's a little tidbit I learned when I first toured the center with a group of educators. For some of the exhibits, the center consulted "imagineers" from the Disney studios. Pretty cool!

Check them out at http://www.alaskasealife.org

I completely agree. The focus is on education and learning something about the marine environment of Resurrection Bay and Kenai Fjords National Park.

As a teacher, it's nice to see something that educates people about Alaska.

Must be the teacher in me too that really loved the Sea Life Center!! I just thought it was an amazing place. The displays were well done with well-written explanations. We did the Behind the Scenes Tour which we found so fascinating and informative. I wished we also would have had time for the Puffin Encounter.

Probably why it is calling to me too--a teacher thing. Do you need advance reservations for the add-on tours?

I am having real trouble in committing to a Kenai Fjords cruise --I'm very concerned about the weather being lousy. Is it possible to get a place (for 2) on a boat on the day of sailing?

Probably why it is calling to me too--a teacher thing. Do you need advance reservations for the add-on tours?

I am having real trouble in committing to a Kenai Fjords cruise --I'm very concerned about the weather being lousy. Is it possible to get a place (for 2) on a boat on the day of sailing?

Between Kenai Fjords Tours and Major Marine, there is usually always room at the last minute. The only thing might be having two cruise ships in at the same time (rare).

There is usually walk up space, but, NOT for any discount pricing. However, what weather you "see" in Seward, has NOTHING to do with what you are going to run into during the trip.

I've had both sunny and rotten looking days in Seward, only to end up the opposite during the trip. For me, the weather means nothing. I always enjoy the boat tour.

I'm trying to decide between the 6 hr or 7 1/2 hr Kenai Fjords tour with Major Marine out of Seward. The only difference I see is the 7 1/2 hr adds Aialik Glacier. Is that a must see? 6 hours seems like a long enough day, however, if Aialik is something you don't want to miss I will do that one. There is only $10 difference between tours so cost doesn't factor in.

My husband will be fishing is Seward for 3 days before our cruise and since fishing isn't my thing I plan to do other things. I'm thinking of a 3 hr gray whale watching trip or the Kenai Fjords 3 hr wildlife tour (are either or both of these tours redundant when you've already done the full-day Kenai Fjords tour?) on one day and then possibly the Seavey's Ididaride Sled Dog Tours. Does anyone have any better ideas for tours our of Seward?

There are NOT any gray whale tours when you are there, and it's a waste of time in my opinion to even consider a bay tour, of three hours. It's either 6++ hours or nothing for me. :) This is a big area, all about time and distance. For the varied wildlife opportunity, you need at least 6 hours on the water.

There are some excellent kayak trips that go to Aialik

We get in at around noon so the Sealife Center should be a good thing to see that day.

I saw an ice hike that looks interesting, I'm in fairly good shape, I walk and run, however, at 57 I don't know if the hike would be more than I can handle. Has anyone done it?

Exit Glacier Guides offer a well reviewed guided hike. Perhaps, email them directly with the fitness questions. It is a lot of hiking until you get to the glacier, and is up hill. The Kenai fjords national park site, also has information listed under the Harding Ice Field. In the past, there were ranger led activities, which would be worthwhile.

If you do the Sealife Center, take one of the backstage tours. We did the puffin tour and we got to go into the bird enclosure and actually feed the birds. It was sort of expensive but we had a 50% off coupon and was really neat.

DON

info on Ranger-led walks.

http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/ranger-programs.htm

BTW, it's a very nice walk to follow the paved path along the waterfront between the small boat harbor and downtown. We saw a bald eagle, a few otters popped up in the water closeby, and lots of boat traffic to watch.

I haven't had the best of luck with the Kenai tours. Tried 3 different times but only got out to Aialik once. That one time was spectacular!! We saw whales, mountain goats and watched the glacier calve several times. Which is why I tried again last yr, but once again we were weathered out. The trip became a 3 hr bay cruise which I found very boring. I'm prone to motion sickness so I would only attempt the longer tour again if the sea was very calm.

My advice about the tours is ... if the office says there's a chance the trip will be downgraded to a bay tour because of the weather, take the refund and run, because it will definitely become a bay tour. They know what the conditions are; there are enough fisherman out there chattering to each other. I fell for that twice.

Thanks everyone, I think I will go ahead and book the 7 1/2 hour Kenai Fjords trip and skip the 3 hour wildlife tour. I will look into the Exit Glacier hike and a dog sled tour. Any other ideas?

Many recommend the Earthquake movie at the library:

http://www.cityofseward.net/library/book_sale.cfm

I haven't kayaked, but have read of good reports about this place:

http://www.sunnycove.com/

Don't forget the Sealife Center

...My advice about the tours is ... if the office says there's a chance the trip will be downgraded to a bay tour because of the weather, take the refund and run, because it will definitely become a bay tour.
Very good advice! One time when we booked the longer tour, they got us part way out of the bay but had to turn back. They ended up giving us a bay tour instead that day and a partial refund. It was very disappointing.

We took the longer one with Major Marine tours and it was our favorite of our entire 14 days in Alaska. Lots of calving glaciers and wildlife. I also like the way the boat was laid out - easy to go outside and come back in. was not crowded at all and had a great ranger that was a great narrator and informant. We used a BOGO coupon out of the Northern Lights books and it made it even better! We also took the Major Marine glacier tour out of Whittier - smaller boat and much more crowded - but still a great time and would do it again in a heart beat! (BOGO coupon also!)

Archived