New England/Canada on the CB- short overview and photos

mnbruce

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess Sept. 24th - Oct. 1st, our 2nd time on the ship.

My wife wanted to do this cruise, however I was not that excited about it, but I'm now very glad we did it . The itinerary allowed for a nice mix of things to do. Great history, old beautiful homes, great seafood, great shopping, easy ports for walking and beautiful scenery. In Newport and Boston we spent the day mostly walking,eating and having a couple of brews. In Portland, Halifax and Saint John we rented cars to do some things that we thought would be interesting.

Before we left the predictions for the weather were very dreary, however the weather was fantastic with only a a couple hours of light rain in Saint John. We brought too many cold weather clothes but had enough warm weather clothes to get by.

We enjoyed what time we spent on the ship. The food overall was ok with a good variety to choose from. Our dinner at the Crown Grill was very good. Our favorite bartenders made some great drinks and we liked happy hour. Overall the staff was great and I filled out 4 of the cards dedicated to pointing out individuals that went over and beyond. I'd say our favorite staff members were Mario and Giu from the bars on the Lido deck and Claudio, our head waiter in the Palm dining room.

Bert Stratton was onboard. He's not really my cup of tea but he had many fans and really drew a big crowd.

Great cruise overall and we met some very nice people.

I have loaded some of my photos onto my photo hosting page if you are at all interested. The first few are some of my favorites and after that they are just in the order thay were taken. Thanks for viewing them if you choose to do so.

IMG_4459-300x450.jpg

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess Sept. 24th - Oct. 1st, our 2nd time on the ship.

My wife wanted to do this cruise, however I was not that excited about it, but I'm now very glad we did it . The itinerary allowed for a nice mix of things to do. Great history, old beautiful homes, great seafood, great shopping, easy ports for walking and beautiful scenery. In Newport and Boston we spent the day mostly walking,eating and having a couple of brews. In Portland, Halifax and Saint John we rented cars to do some things that we thought would be interesting.

Before we left the predictions for the weather were very dreary, however the weather was fantastic with only a a couple hours of light rain in Saint John. We brought too many cold weather clothes but had enough warm weather clothes to get by.

We enjoyed what time we spent on the ship. The food overall was ok with a good variety to choose from. Our dinner at the Crown Grill was very good. Our favorite bartenders made some great drinks and we liked happy hour. Overall the staff was great and I filled out 4 of the cards dedicated to pointing out individuals that went over and beyond. I'd say our favorite staff members were Mario and Giu from the bars on the Lido deck and Claudio, our head waiter in the Palm dining room.

Bert Stratton was onboard. He's not really my cup of tea but he had many fans and really drew a big crowd.

I have loaded some of my photos onto my photo hosting page if you are at all interested. The first few are some of my favorites and after that they are just in the order thay were taken. Thanks for viewing them if you choose to do so.

IMG_4459-300x450.jpg

Thanks for posting your review. I did this cruise (for the second time) in August and loved every second. It was a lot warmer this year than last and I also brought too many cool weather clothes.

Claudio was also on my top three list. He made the cruise extra special and I feel as if I made a friend. Also, Sam (woman) from the entertainment staff was outstanding. I joined the Princess Pop Choir and she was the director. LOTS of fun.

I'm glad you had such a good time.

Maureen

Thank you for the wonderful post. I'm considering giving this cruise to my parents for their 50th wedding anniversary, and am happy to hear your descriptions of the ports and experience. They live on the west coast and have visited us in Boston a few times, but have not been to any of the other stops. Figured we could meet them when the ship docks in Boston and show them a good time.

Living in New England and having visited most of the stops many times, it's hard for me to judge what it would be like as a cruise itinerary. Your thoughts and comments definitely help.

Welcome home.

IMG_4459-300x450.jpg

Thanks for the review! I enjoyed looking at your photos, they are beautiful! Nice Job!!!

Bruce, Absolutely loved your pictures. We lived in Boston (my husband was born in Boston) and your beautiful pictures brought back many memories. New England is so full of history and charm. Hopefully you got to see some of the spectacular fall foliage. Thanks for sharing your review and your pictures:)

IMG_4459-300x450.jpg

Beautiful pictures! We're doing this itinerary next week. Are there any restaurants/breweries that you visited that you would recommend?

Thanks very much for all the comments and for viewing the photos! I appreciated it.

For those of you who are about to go on this cruise, it's going to be very enjoyable.

Beautiful pictures! We're doing this itinerary next week. Are there any restaurants/breweries that you visited that you would recommend?

Sapphire,

We did not actually visit any breweries, but we would stop at a couple of pubs at each port and ask for a recommendation of a local beer. That's how we like to do it and the results were very good. Our best food experiences were not really at what you would call restaurants. We drove down to Kennebunkport and stopped at a place called The Clam Shack,which is shown in my photos. We had what they called a lobster roll, but it was really more of lobster sandwich. Just a bunch of lobster pilled up in a bun, but it was delicious.

In Halifax we drove to Peggy's Cove and stopped at a lobster wholesaler in Indian Harbor which is about 5 minutes past Peggy's Cove. I had read about this place a while back in someones review. It was just a small lobster wholesaler who will pull a lobster out of his tanks and cook it up for you right there. You eat outside at a picnic table. It was the best lobster I had ever eaten, and the price was cheap. Only about $14.00 each for 1 1/2 pound lobsters. I would suggest this place to anyone who is heading to Peggy's Cove. It's called Ryer and Ryer Lobster. You will see a couple of photos from this place in my gallery. You are going to really enjoy your cruise.

Thanks very much for all the comments and for viewing the photos! I appreciated it.

For those of you who are about to go on this cruise, it's going to be very enjoyable.

Sapphire,

We did not actually visit any breweries, but we would stop at a couple of pubs at each port and ask for a recommendation of a local beer. That's how we like to do it and the results were very good. Our best food experiences were not really at what you would call restaurants. We drove down to Kennebunkport and stopped at a place called The Clam Shack,which is shown in my photos. We had what they called a lobster roll, but it was really more of lobster sandwich. Just a bunch of lobster pilled up in a bun, but it was delicious.

In Halifax we drove to Peggy's Cove and stopped at a lobster wholesaler in Indian Harbor which is about 5 minutes past Peggy's Cove. I had read about this place a while back in someones review. It was just a small lobster wholesaler who will pull a lobster out of his tanks and cook it up for you right there. You eat outside at a picnic table. It was the best lobster I had ever eaten, and the price was cheap. Only about $14.00 each for 1 1/2 pound lobsters. I would suggest this place to anyone who is heading to Peggy's Cove. It's called Ryer and Ryer Lobster. You will see a couple of photos from this place in my gallery. You are going to really enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for letting me know! My hubby is a huge craft beer lover, so we love trying out some unique local beers.

Bruce,

Great job on your review and the pics! Thanks for sharing. We enjoyed meeting you and we share your views on this cruise. Would love to do it again. Kathie

Thanks Kathie! It was nice to meet you also. I quite a few people from New Jersey on this cruise. It was a great vacation!

Thanks! We did this cruise last year, and I was less than enthusiastic... I ended up loving the cruise. It was a very easy time for us. (China, last summer, on the other hand, was quite challenging). This was the most relaxing cruise I have ever been on!:)

Archived