Eurodam cabin advice

bocatraveler09

I am looking at a Baltic cruise on the Eurodam in June/July 2012 and am considering either an ocean view room (only available on the Main deck) or a veranda room on either the Veranda deck or Upper Promenade. I want to be midship as much as possible to avoid motion.

Is the weather condusive to using a veranda in the Baltic? Any other advice about these cabin options would be appreciated so we can decide on the price/value. I've cruised just a few times and once before on HAL.

Thanks!

Is the weather condusive to using a veranda in the Baltic?

Weather in the Baltic most certainly can be very nice.

The question is will there be time to make the price of a veranda, vs an outside cabin, worth it. This is a port-intensive cruise, with lots of pressure to see and do it all. Main Deck is a close hop to that large "veranda" called Promenade Deck. With the added advantage of being able to switch sides if the view warrants!

On port-intensive cruises, I would opt for non veranda and save money. I agree with Ruth. You could pay for the veranda and be on a very windy side and never go out! There aren't many sea days for relaxing out there. I did enjoy seeing the marine traffic; lots of interesting ferries but you can do that from the Promenade or Lido decks and you can go from side to side to see the sights. So unless the veranda is a real bargain, enjoy ocean view!

Another option is to get a stern verandah cabin. We had one on the Eurodam when visiting the Norwegian Fjords and loved it. It is larger (deeper) than the other verandah cabins, and you can see port and starboard at the same time. The stern gets little wind, and sitting outside and listening to the wake is wonderful. Motion was never an issue.

The only motion felt on my recent Baltic cruise was when we were rounding Denmark. Even then, the motion was minimal. Both coming and going those were sea days and the weather was nice enough to be outside. Between those days were many ports and very few sea days. If price is an issue, I agree that opting for an outside cabin vs. verandah may be a smart money move. If the weather is nice on a sea day, you can find a place somewhere on the ship to enjoy the weather outside.

On a previous Norway cruise, the roughest seas were the same - the first and last day as we cruised between Norway and the UK. I have a lot of trouble with seasickness but these days were different - the ship encountered cross winds so it wiggled back and forth rather than bobbing up and down. I found that the wiggling caused no problems for me where bobbing had always caused me to turn to the seasickness remedies. The worst of the bobbing was overnight when I was tucked into a comfortable HAL bed. The captain had warned us of gale warnings and he was right - some of the jiggles were a bit jarring that evening. I was in an aft cabing (so I could watch the wake) and I don't think cabin location is affected by this type of motion - only for bobbing motion.

This is always a tough decision - good luck. In the end, you'll just remember the incredible sites at the ports you'll visit on the Baltic cruise.

We sailed on the Eurodam to the Baltic in June 2011 and were in a verandah cabin while our two daughters were in an outside room. I would agree with another poster that since this cruise is so port intensive and due to cold wet weather conditions on over half of our time on the ship, we did not get the greatest use out of our deck.

First of all, the Baltics are fantastic - great itinerary - enjoy:)

Prejudiced as I am, I always want a verandah. It's so nice in the morning as you dock. When you get back at night and want to relax, I love watching and listening to the sound of the waves.

There is some nice scenic cruising and while for part of it you might want to go to the Lido, it's nice to be able to go to your own private spot for a break.

It just depends upon what you want. You will get use of your balcony in the Baltics - no question - we had one and loved it - but again, it depends upon what is important to YOU

We did the Baltic/TA on the Eurodam in August/September this year. As my Hubby gets a little queasy we chose a verandah on 5th deck. (5061). We only had a couple of days when it was mildly rough. We did use our verandah and I have to admit that on a couple of occassions used the deck rug on my lap, bearing in mind that I do have a slight mobility problem and therefore choose to sit on the verandah or lay on the bed and look out when resting is called for. We always enjoy arriving and departing ports on the veranda, but use it often when possible. It is really a personal choice re. veranda or not. I found that when we sailed through Prinz Christiansund it was far nicer to rug up like a 'muffin' and go up on the outside decks, the same for when the iceburgs were around as they were never considerate enough to be on our side at all times...:D The itinerary IMHO was the best one available as Hubby can get ansty when too many consecutive sea days occur. Both Hubby and I have agreed that this was by far our most exciting and interesting cruise/ports. Enjoy your cruise, and remember to have your camera batteries charged at all times....

Archived