Timing for guaranteed balcony

cruising maniac

Greetings to all. Hubby and I have been on more than 20 cruises, but for the first time we decided to book a balcony guarantee. We sail on the Milli in about 6 weeks and was wondering when our stateroom would be assigned. I would appreciate information from those who have any knowledge and personal experience as to so far before crusing their cabins were assigned. I am someone who opens Christmas presents early so you know this is driving me crazy. Thanks for the help.:)

From everything I've read, it can vary a lot. I know I saw a thread discussing this where one or two of the posters said they didn't get their assignments until they were at check-in on embarkation day.

My own vast experience of one balcony guarantee (for my cruise next month) was that our cabin assignment was posted to the Celebrity website within about a week of booking. We booked about 4 months out. But then we got an upgrade to a CC cabin and that happened about a month or so ago if I recall correctly. I've been checking the Celebrity site every single day since then just in case they decide to upgrade me to a suite, but no luck so far! :)

I can only speak for my one experience with this, but we signed up for our verandah guarantee in early June for our cruise later this month. The cabin was assigned within a couple of weeks. However, the only way I knew that was by going to the Celebrity website, logging onto "MyCelebrity", and looking at my reservation information. There were no email notifications or anything like that.

We booked one and never got a room assignment, although others on our roll call got theirs--we ended up switching categories but I was curious what ours would have turned out to be! At least two months passed with no assignment--the other time I did it, we had it within a week or so. I will never figure them out!

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

I just noticed yesterday that there are now balcony guarantees for $699 for 7 nights on the Solstice on December 11th. This is a great deal if anyone is looking for a cruise. We have a fun roll call too!

I don't think there is any way to predict this. We booked a guarantee balcony on the Eclipse about two months out last winter (for a transatlantic); it was already past final payment time when we booked.

We got our cabin about 1 month before the cruise. Other times, on other lines, we've either gotten one within a week or two of booking or within a week or so after final payment. It just varies so much, I don't think there is any way to predict.

I think if I didn't have a cabin before we arrived at the dock I'd be biting my nails with suspense!

We booked a balcony guarantee a couple of months ago for the Equinox on 5th March and were assigned a cabin right away - but it's already been changed by Celebrity twice. What seems weird to me is that all three cabins we have been assigned so far have been within just a few cabins down the hall from each other! Doesn't seem worth moving us around really!

I am hoping to check one day and find out that we've suddenly been upgraded, but as it's our first cruise with Celebrity I would be very surprised!

I put an option on Milli for 10/27 sailing for an "X" gty. The next day I paid. That same day, we were assigned a 2B. I checked to see what other 2Bs were available, and one with a larger balcony near aft elevator was, so I called and switched to that one! SCORE!~

We are first time cruisers (Nov 2012 on Millie) and I did quite a bit of research about cabins with balconies. I decided which one I wanted... saw online that it was still available... ignored fiance's stress about cost :) and booked it with the travel agent!

Reading now about balcony guarantees and cabin assignments confuses me.

We've logged on to My Celebrity and our cabin number is recognized by them so it's gone through without any trouble.

Isn't everyone able to just pick and choose what cabin they want?

We are first time cruisers (Nov 2012 on Millie) and I did quite a bit of research about cabins with balconies. I decided which one I wanted... saw online that it was still available... ignored fiance's stress about cost :) and booked it with the travel agent!

Reading now about balcony guarantees and cabin assignments confuses me.

We've logged on to My Celebrity and our cabin number is recognized by them so it's gone through without any trouble.

Isn't everyone able to just pick and choose what cabin they want?

They can if they want to pay for it, but you can often get a "guarantee" cabin for less money. And if you book a guarantee, all you are guaranteed is a cabin of the class you paid for or better, but you can't pick a specific one.

I booked a balcony guarantee (X) on October 7 for the October 27 sailing on Millennium. No room assignment yet and I'm biting my nails in anticipation. The concierge class is already sold out so I'm assuming if I'm lucky I'll get a larger veranda. Here's hoping for that or better!

I've booked GTY many times. Anything can happen. I've been given assignment early, late, and also been given and taken away many times. Anything can happen. The closer to the cruise, the better the assignment gets. On one cruise, I wasn't assigned acabin until the week of the cruise...upgrade many categories. Usually I get the category I book.

I booked a balcony guarantee (X) on October 7 for the October 27 sailing on Millennium. No room assignment yet and I'm biting my nails in anticipation. The concierge class is already sold out so I'm assuming if I'm lucky I'll get a larger veranda. Here's hoping for that or better!

Update: I booked on 10/7 for a 10/27 sailing and today (10/11) received my cabin assignment, a 2B on Deck 9. I have no idea if that's good or bad, but I'll take it!

I booked and paid 8 weeks out and my cabin was assigned within 24 hours. I have got onto the celebrity website but can't see where on their site the vacant cabins are. Could someone please advise me how to get into the available cabin section. Thanks heaps

If you want to check the available cabins, go to either Priceline.com or ************. Navigate through the site as if you are going to book the cruise. After you select the cruise and put in some basic information, you can choose the class of cabins (Suite, balcony, etc) and look at all of the types (S1, S2, Concierge, etc). You will be able to click on the deck plans by deck to see the available rooms.... but only if there are rooms available in the class. The available rooms will show up with a blinking square.

Update: We got our assignment yesterday for our balcony guarantee cabin. We were assigned to the lowest category, lowest deck, and farthest forward cabin possible. No, I won't be playing the lottery this week.!!!! I called and had them move us back about 7 cabins so we are no longer partially obstructed. We would have been looking at the side of a hump cabin which would have blocked our view to the left. I am still hoping the upgrade fairy visits as there are many unsold balcony cabins remaining. I don't need anyone to tell me that it was a balcony guarantee or that it is the luck of the draw- I know both of those things. I wanted to give an update so others would know about the timing and that it is possible to change your cabin within your category. :)

If, when doing my checking what guarantee cabin we are currently in, I find that we have been moved to one that is particularly desirable or perhaps even an upgrade, is there a way to lock that cabin in to avoid being moved again?

I am not at all thrilled with the balcony guarantee we have at the minute. If by some miracle the upgrade fairy does visit, how can I guarantee that we will keep the newer cabin?

Will making the final payment do it?

If, when doing my checking what guarantee cabin we are currently in, I find that we have been moved to one that is particularly desirable or perhaps even an upgrade, is there a way to lock that cabin in to avoid being moved again?

I am not at all thrilled with the balcony guarantee we have at the minute. If by some miracle the upgrade fairy does visit, how can I guarantee that we will keep the newer cabin?

Will making the final payment do it?

By definition a guarantee means they can assign and reassign the cabin up until the time you check in. Anyone making a guarantee type booking can be hopeful of a great cabin but must also be willing to accept the least desirable cabin in, or above, the category guaranteed.

The only way to get a firm assignment is to purchase a cabin that is not a guarantee.

By definition a guarantee means they can assign and reassign the cabin up until the time you check in. Anyone making a guarantee type booking can be hopeful of a great cabin but must also be willing to accept the least desirable cabin in, or above, the category guaranteed.

The only way to get a firm assignment is to purchase a cabin that is not a guarantee.

Thanks Lsimon!

Ah well! We will just have to cross our fingers!

Another question...

If a cruiseline has not sold out higher priced categories, would they continue to try to sell as many lower priced cabins as they could, and upgrade folks who originally had booked guarantees in the lower priced categories in order to fill the ship?

If so, would they do that in booking order or at random? Or would they instead bump up the new bookers?

I hope I worded that properly...:p

Archived