Tortola Charters haven't responded - Other options for Jost?

tbmrt

Just trying to get some updated info out to the people inquiring about Tortola Charters. This was posted on the roll call for the Freedom sailing that just returned. So sounds like the Jost Van Dyke trip happened, however another person from that cruise posted on this forum that Tortola Charters was a no show for the Baths trip (don't know if those reservations may have been made around the time the hacking of the website or what). So we're hoping our trip still goes, but we have a Plan B beach day in place.;)

I made it on the tour to Jost Van Dyke with Tortola Charters (as did a few others here). They said that since they're web site was hacked they haven't been getting the reservation requests and emails. Not sure why they haven't fixed that yet, particularly since the site comes up when you go to it. The owner (Captain Bill) is currently in the U.S. so we only got what little information his hired Captain was able to tell us.

For what it's worth, we had a great time. Well.....we thought we were going to miss the ship when one of the engines in the boat died, but that's another story....

They said that since they're web site was hacked they haven't been getting the reservation requests and emails. ....

Doesn't explain a disconnected phone, though... :p

Maybe someone down there (from another company) is trying to pick up on his prior bookings.

Thanks..

...another report today that they were a No Show this week

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501719

Yes, that's the post I referred to when I said the trip to the Baths didn't happen;)

Doesn't explain a disconnected phone, though... :p

Maybe someone down there (from another company) is trying to pick up on his prior bookings.

True....

Perhaps they are. If I can find a reasonable trip to JVD, I don't care who it is! LOL! No matter what, there is definitely something going on. It's a shame because they had a good reputation on here and Trip Advisor:rolleyes: I'll report back after our cruise, but we don't get back until 11/13...

• 2 weeks later...

A guy named Sam had posted on a few boards that he would LOVE to pick up the slack for Bill so I contacted him at the Email address he had posted on CC. He offered a trip to JVD for $70 + a whopping $50 for kids. THIS WAS HIS FIRST POST and now it's gone, possibly removed due to CC guidelines, which was appreciated by me.

I don't know. They have a nice website, but because this guy had NEVER posted on CC before I'd be very leery if you were to book with him. It's pretty pricey for what you get.

Does anyone know who provides Holland America's excursion to Josh Van Dyke? I wanted to go on Aristocat's $110 excursion, but the timing is very tight with that taxi ride to the west end. At least with the ships excursion you don't have to worry about missing the ship.

Thanks!

Kel:)

A guy named Sam had posted on a few boards that he would LOVE to pick up the slack for Bill so I contacted him at the Email address he had posted on CC. He offered a trip to JVD for $70 + a whopping $50 for kids. THIS WAS HIS FIRST POST and now it's gone, possibly removed due to CC guidelines, which was appreciated by me.

I don't know. They have a nice website, but because this guy had NEVER posted on CC before I'd be very leery if you were to book with him. It's pretty pricey for what you get.

I am also looking at getting to Jost. Although BVI360 may have only posted once, the reviews, small in number, are positive on trip advisor. At least worth exploring the possibility.

I am booked with BVI360 for a trip to JVD. I just didn't want to take the chance on Tortola Charters. The reason he only posted once is because tour operators aren't allowed to post here, and thus his post was also removed. Our group was given the price of $60 per person...private boat...minimum of 5 people, maximum of 10. When we ended up having 10 people, he knocked the price down to $50 pp. They will drop people off at the beach and then take others snorkeling for a while, if desired. I'm hoping that since they get good reviews on Trip Advisor, that it will be a good trip. I will report back, since I can find no reviews of BVI360 on CC.:)

We just booked with BVI360 for our cruise in March. We had originally booked with Tortola Charters but because we are unsure what is going on with them, we felt the risk was too great to wait and see. Sam, at BVI360, has very good reviews and is a local of Tortola. He gave us a price of $60 ($5 more than Tortola) for our group of 6.

I would not be concerned about his lack of posts because tour operators rarely, if ever, post on here. I believe his post was an attempt to let others know he is out there and offering the same tour. Sam also has info on tours on JVD as well if you are looking for something other than Soggy Dollar.:)

NCL offers a Jost trip?? I didn't see it on my Dawn trip for December...... if you do not mind my asking, what was the cost... I wonder why it is not on all the ships.....We also had booked with Tortola Charters and now are looking for an alternative.... thanks!

We just booked for Nov 26. Its called Escape to Jost Van Dyke and is $89.

Other private charters at the BVI website are $110.

I'm glad I found these posts. i too have contacted Tortola Charters twice and have not heard from them. Reports of 'no shows' make me nervous. We're 2-3 adults and 2 kids. Will check the other options lister here. Thanks!

I love Cruise Critics:)

Grr I just wrote a review and it disappeared :(

We went to Tortola today - went to JVD via BVI360. We originally booked through Tortola Charters but switched when TC stopped responding. Cost was $60pp (4 or under is free) and included bus ride to marina, 15 min boat ride to a swim stop, and JVD. Time for the swimming stop can be negotiated - we only stayed an hour.

BVI360 has a dingy so you don't have to swim ashore but the swim isn't bad. Stuff will get wet even in the dingy so plan appropriately.

Oh and apparently BVI360 bought Tortola Charters...so TC is officially dead.

We went to Tortola today - went to JVD via BVI360. We originally booked through Tortola Charters but switched when TC stopped responding. Cost was $60pp (4 or under is free) and included bus ride to marina, 15 min boat ride to a swim stop, and JVD. Time for the swimming stop can be negotiated - we only stayed an hour.

BVI360 has a dingy so you don't have to swim ashore but the swim isn't bad. Stuff will get wet even in the dingy so plan appropriately.

Please share more about bvi360- we booked with them for December -

I went to the site and didn't see a place to book. Did you have to prepay somehow? Also, I see a $70 cost (perhaps they just raised it)

I'm just a bit concerned because of the possibility of this company not having a Plan B in case their boat breaks down and we need to get back to the cruise ship. Did they happen to mention anything about this to you?

Thanks

Barbara & Tom

Some of my fondest memories of JVD go back to the Soggy Dollar Bar and Foxy's (20 years ago!)....Wonder if this tour took you there also?

Barbara

I went to the site and didn't see a place to book. Did you have to prepay somehow? Also, I see a $70 cost (perhaps they just raised it)

I'm just a bit concerned because of the possibility of this company not having a Plan B in case their boat breaks down and we need to get back to the cruise ship. Did they happen to mention anything about this to you?

Thanks

Barbara & Tom

BVI360 staff were great. They originally wanted a 2 hours swim stop but we negotiated down to 1. Apparently JVD White Bay can get pretty crowded so they have "schedules" and sometimes won't take boats early. Luckily we were the only cruise ship in port so it worked out. We ended up have 3 hours at Soggy Dollar.

The Painkillers were good - I don't like coconut but I still enjoyed the drink. I actually really liked their Bloody Mary's - they were super spicy. (I love spicy.)

The Chicken Roti was also super delicious.

I'm not sure how you book - weebles (cc name) did all of the planning for us. But I do know their email is "ez bvi" (no space) at yahoo d0t com. Sam (the owner) even sent a thank you email to everyone on the trip who gave their email address.

And the company has more than 1 boat - our group was 24 1/2 people (2 year old) and we needed 2 boats. Also, there are plenty of other boats at JVD so worst case if you break down there you may be able to catch a ride with someone else. (And Sam said he wouldn't charge for kids 4 and under (i think it's 4....may be 3)

Here is a response from BVI360 about buying out TC:

No! we did not buy TC, we are an independant company. We do not know what happen to TC, anyone who would like to organize their Jost Van Dyke Virgin Gorda and/or Norman Island snorkel, dive or day sail excursion with us can do so.. Please share this information with everyone you know. www.bvi360.com

We have a trip to JVD on this day and we have space available if you would like to reserve with us now, We offer pretty much the same experience that TC would of or better. Private boat ride to white bay, stopping to snorkel before reaching the beach. We offer free cocktail for all our guests.

Confirm for trip by simple emailing us back.

Cost: per person $70

Included:

Private Taxi to our private boat in west end Tortola.

Private boat ride to white bay

Snorkel stop along the way before reaching the beach

Cocktails for everyone one board

Best local captains available

Fun and enjoyable experience

We meet at the cruise port tourist board information center by 7:30 am local time, depart the port 8am and return back to the ship by 2:30pm local time.

I emailed BVI360 last week about this tour and never got a response. So I emailed again this morning and recieved an immediate response apologizing. He said he would send a seperate email with the details.

He said they have been swamped with requests... so I guess word is getting out about their availability to pick up TC's slack.

For anyone who HAS gone on this tour, I have a question about the time change deal. We're arriving on Serenade of the Seas and it says there is an 8am arrival time. His note, as displayed by Beautabby, says they depart at 7:30am. Does anyone know the time difference? Will we make it on time? CruiseTT shows Serenade as being the only ship in port on that day.

Ann

I've had a couple of emails back and forth with BVI360.

Julio, who responded to my emails, stated that they stay on local time.

We would meet at 7:30am local, which is 6:30 ship. We don't dock until 7am.

He made no mention of adjusting for cruise ship pax. Just a "so sorry you can't join us".

He even said that all cruise ships go by local time...I know this is not true...lol!

Anyway...here's a link for you to find out the time difference:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

HTH

I take it you were dropped in White Bay because you swam to shore, did you have time to taxi over the hill to Foxy's in great Harbor?

Kuralu, Patouche, and Aristocat are all excellent options as well. I know others have signed up with Kuralu for the JVD, Sandy Spit, and Green Cay sail out of West End, and Patouche also offers smaller charter options along with Joe's beautiful cat.

Any idea if your passport is needed when you get off the ship in Tortola going to JVD with any of the tour groups?

You are cleared for BVI when you leave the ship.

PP is not necessary, but proper papers (copies OK) are always good to have with you when you travel anywhere.

Archived