drink price question

Ajrls

Hi All,

My in-laws are heading out next Sunday for their cruise (Hawaii). They are trying to decide whether or not to purchase the drink packages. Would appreciate any information on drink prices to help them with their decision.

Any idea what the following cost? soda, beer, wine, scotch?

Any info would be helpful.

Thank you,

Ajrls

But the sticky gives drink prices from mid-2010. If anyone has the time to search 71 pages for current information, good for them. I personally don't, so I find it easier to use a new thread.

That said, my question is, what is the current price of soda by the glass and by the can? I got an email today from Celebrity saying that they will now include canned soda in the basic drink packages. But, since we bought our drink packages before the price went up, we would have to cancel that purchase and buy new packages at the $2 higher price. The canned drinks would be more convenient, but I'm not sure we would each drink 4 sodas a day.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Kathy

These are the detailed specifics from our mid-June 2011 cruise on the Solstice from a menu/pricing card that I borrowed from the Sunset/Oceanview area:

BEERS: At $4.50 each (plus the added 15% service charge), it is Bud Light, Budweiser, Coors Light and Miller Lite; at $5.00 (which goes to $5.75 with tip), there is Amstel Light, Beck’s, Corona, Corona Light, Leffe Blonde, Heineken, Heineken Light, O’Doul’s (NA), Red Stripe and Samuel Adams; at $6.00 (which goes to $6.90 with tip), it is Bohemia, Grolsch, Guinness, Stella Artois, Newcastle Brown Ale and Peroni.

RED WINES: At $5.50 each, Cabernet Sauvignon/Pinotage “Basket Pressed” Heron’s Nest, Stellenbosch; at $6.50 each, Tempranillo, Marques de la Concordia, Crianza, Rioja; at $7.50 each Cabernet Sauvignon “Heritage” Wente Estates, Livermore; at $8.00 each, Merlot, Rutherford Ranch, Napa Valley and Shiraz “The Barossa” Peter Lehmann, Barossa Valley; at $8.50 each, Chianti Classico Riserva Tenuta di Nozzole, Tuscany and Pinot Noir, Kendall Jackson, “Vintner’s Reserve”.

WHITE WINES: At $5.50 each, Viognier, Maison Paul Jaboulet Aine, Rhone Valley; at $6.00 each, Riesling “Kabinett” Selbach-Oster, Mosel; at $6.50 each, Sauvignon Blanc, Southern Right, Walker Bay; at $7.50 each, Pino Grigio, Bollini, Trentino; at $8.00 each, Chardonnay, St. Francis, Sonoma; at $8.50 each, Pouilly Fume “La Moynerie” Michel Redde, Loire Valley.

ROSE-BLUSH: At $5.50 each, White Zinfandel, Beringer, North Coast; at $6.50 each, Rose de Provence, Jean-Lux Colombo.

The $8 glass of wine goes to $9.20 with tip added. A $6.50 wine goes to $7.48 with tip.

NON-ALCOHOLIC: At $2.50 each, it is Evian, Pellegrino and Perrier smaller-sized; at $3.00 each, they offer Arizona Premium Iced Tea, Green Tea, Lemon Tea, Peach Tea and Diet Lemon; at $4.00 each, they had Strawberry Banana Soda, Peach Sangria, large Evian and Pellegrino, Sparkling Mint Lemonade and Watermelon Tropic; at $5.00 each, it is Red Bull, regular and sugar-free. They also offer various Coca-Cola soft drinks, but those prices were not listed on this card.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 43,324 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi All,

My in-laws are heading out next Sunday for their cruise (Hawaii). They are trying to decide whether or not to purchase the drink packages. Would appreciate any information on drink prices to help them with their decision.

Any idea what the following cost? soda, beer, wine, scotch?

Any info would be helpful.

Thank you,

Ajrls

We bought the Premium package (PALL) on our Solstice cruise and loved it! I drink bottled water, specialty coffee, soda, and wine so it was such a great deal for me. I don't think I made any money on the package, but I never worried about what I ordered or if I finished it. It was just nice to not have the bar bill depression at the end of the cruise. I paid for it in advance and there were no surprises. Specialty coffees ran almost $5 so it was nice they were included in the price. I can't think of anything that we couldn't have gotten on the PALL card. Mimosas at breakfast or just the fresh squeezed OJ that everyone else has to pay for... that's included. In the dining room at night, I had the Sommelier pair a white and a red with my dinner. Something I would never do but was fun with the card.

I think if you are just a simple drinker, the package isn't worth the money. BUT... if you like many different things including soda and coffees and bottled water, the martini bar, etc... it's totally worth the money.

I'll tell you though... with as many sea days as you have on a Hawaiian itinerary, I would TOTALLY get the drink package.

If they choose to wait and buy the package on board, they might want to wait until the ship is underway as the ship is usually requried to charge local sales tax while docked.

I'm also with Hylasgirl - I pretty sure I broke even on the package last year, but even if it were a little under, it's great not having to sign and not having that horrible feeling when the bill gets slipped under the door the last night.....

But the sticky gives drink prices from mid-2010. If anyone has the time to search 71 pages for current information, good for them. I personally don't, so I find it easier to use a new thread.

That said, my question is, what is the current price of soda by the glass and by the can? I got an email today from Celebrity saying that they will now include canned soda in the basic drink packages. But, since we bought our drink packages before the price went up, we would have to cancel that purchase and buy new packages at the $2 higher price. The canned drinks would be more convenient, but I'm not sure we would each drink 4 sodas a day.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Kathy

You don't need to cancel your previous soda package and buy the new one to get canned soda. There is no way for them to know when you bought it/how much you paid as far as any designation on your SeaPass Card. There aren't 2 different packages.

I am not sure if you are interested in mixed drink pricing, but I called Celebrity last week to ask about VO Manhattans. It my husbands drink of choice and I was trying to decide what package to buy him. She said that they don't have a price list as it varies by ship and intinerary. I was told mixed drinks start at $5.50 and premium mixed drinks at $5.75. Hope that helps...

If they choose to wait and buy the package on board, they might want to wait until the ship is underway as the ship is usually requried to charge local sales tax while docked.

I'm also with Hylasgirl - I pretty sure I broke even on the package last year, but even if it were a little under, it's great not having to sign and not having that horrible feeling when the bill gets slipped under the door the last night.....

Usually? Are you sure?

You don't need to cancel your previous soda package and buy the new one to get canned soda. There is no way for them to know when you bought it/how much you paid as far as any designation on your SeaPass Card. There aren't 2 different packages.

I must have mis-read the email then. Thanks for the reassurance.

Kathy

Usually? Are you sure?

This depends on which port you are sailing out of. If it is an American port, you should not have to pay the taxes. If it is a European port you may have to pay VAT taxes. (At least that is what I think it is called.

You can buy on line up to four days before you sail and not have to pay any taxes on your purchases.....

This depends on which port you are sailing out of. If it is an American port, you should not have to pay the taxes. If it is a European port you may have to pay VAT taxes. (At least that is what I think it is called.

You can buy on line up to four days before you sail and not have to pay any taxes on your purchases.....

Good point. Any experience with Australia? I am planning on waiting until I get on the ship so that I can use the large OBC that I have. If I purchase the drink package and any excursions with Select dining I end up not spending a lot on the ship.

Archived