Upgrades, and how often?

buddy 27

I keep reading about upgrades, if we are one of the lucky ones who get one, how do we get to know? Is it on arrival at the ship or do the Travel Agent inform us or P and O in this case? I am aware that we can pay for an upgrade but people keep referring to 'free' ones.

Thanks in anticipation again.

Buddy

You will be informed before you sail, but beware it may not be the upgrade you want as it is what P&O say is a better cabin, not the passenger.

Example: you book a C deck balcony cabin on Ventura for the extra balcony space, but near the end of the ship as they are cheaper. An 'upgrade' could be to a more expensive B deck cabin near the centre of the ship, but these have smaller balconies.

I keep reading about upgrades, if we are one of the lucky ones who get one, how do we get to know? Is it on arrival at the ship or do the Travel Agent inform us or P and O in this case? I am aware that we can pay for an upgrade but people keep referring to 'free' ones.

Thanks in anticipation again.

Buddy

I booked last June and have been upgraded twice from a JG to JE to JB cabins. I found out about the upgrades by looking at personaliser and going into my tickets. I saw the change then. Keep us updated and let us know if you have been upgraded.

If you have booked a 'guarantee cabin' - that is one that P&O assigns you, your cabin number could keep changing - check your personaliser.

If you have booked a specific cabin, your TA should have asked you whether you would accept an upgrade or not and tick the box on your booking accordingly. If you have selected to accept upgrade your TA should inform you and it will appear in your personaliser. If you have selected 'no upgrade' then your cabin number should be locked in.

Our TA failed to ask us and we received an 'upgrade' we didn't want. It took us 3 days to get our chosen cabin back through P&O. The TA wasn't interested and told us we would have to cancel and rebook, even though it was their fault! :eek:

hi U2Cruiser, yes we have a 'guarantee room' so will keep an eye out on our personaliser, Thankyou

You are very welcome buddy.

One thing - I think if you are happy with your designated guarantee cabin and don't want to risk an 'upgrade' to a less desirable one, (it does happen) you can ring P&O and lock in your cabin. I'm not 100% on this, but someone on here may know for sure. It's definitely worth a try :)

You will be informed before you sail, but beware it may not be the upgrade you want as it is what P&O say is a better cabin, not the passenger.

Example: you book a C deck balcony cabin on Ventura for the extra balcony space, but near the end of the ship as they are cheaper. An 'upgrade' could be to a more expensive B deck cabin near the centre of the ship, but these have smaller balconies.

When I booked a future cruise onboard Ventura for a C deck cabin the future cruise lady asked me how important the large balcony was to me. She advised that whilst many people dream of being upgraded to a higher category of cabin most upgrades are to a higher grade in the same category. This could mean being upgraded from a balcony cabin with large balcony on C deck to a balcony cabin with standard balcony, but in a higher grade, on a higher deck. I took her advice and chose the no upgrade option.

You are very welcome buddy.

One thing - I think if you are happy with your designated guarantee cabin and don't want to risk an 'upgrade' to a less desirable one, (it does happen) you can ring P&O and lock in your cabin. I'm not 100% on this, but someone on here may know for sure. It's definitely worth a try :)

Yes, you're quite right u2cruiser. We booked for guaranteed JG cabin and happened to notice on our Air Notification when it arrived that a cabin number on C deck had been quoted. We contacted P&O who confirmed that we did indeed have this cabin allocated to us at that time and at our request they agreed to lock us into that rather than chance us being moved again. We really wanted the larger balcony so we feel we've been lucky :)

Yes, you're quite right u2cruiser. We booked for guaranteed JG cabin and happened to notice on our Air Notification when it arrived that a cabin number on C deck had been quoted. We contacted P&O who confirmed that we did indeed have this cabin allocated to us at that time and at our request they agreed to lock us into that rather than chance us being moved again. We really wanted the larger balcony so we feel we've been lucky :)

You are very lucky Essexlass. I have read of quite a few on here who have been allocated C deck with guarantees, which always surprises me as you would think they are amongst the most sought after balconies. :)

We have looked at our cruise personaliser and see we have been given an upgrade already (thankyou I think!! after reading some of the upgrades that people wished they hadnt been given),

However, is it likely that we will get another to an even better position on the ship or is that it!!

There is nothing like being optimistic..!! (and no we are not being greedy.. just asking) LOL:)

Regards

Buddy

We have looked at our cruise personaliser and see we have been given an upgrade already (thankyou I think!! after reading some of the upgrades that people wished they hadnt been given),

However, is it likely that we will get another to an even better position on the ship or is that it!!

There is nothing like being optimistic..!! (and no we are not being greedy.. just asking) LOL:)

Regards

Buddy

Buddy, we are on a 17 day count down now (yay!). If you are lucky you could be upgraded tomorrow or even on the day. I like the optimisium. We have been upgraded twice so far, and i am hoping for a third :D

LondonBabe, Heres hoping!! LOL, Have a good holiday, thanks,

What have your upgrades been so far pls?

Hi Buddy,

Originally booked JG B255, in July i was cheeky and asked if there were any upgrades available :D I got move to JE B627, then last Wednesday out of the blue i was move to JB C501.

There are 3 of us and this seems to be the ideal cabin. I like a gamble so not going to lock this cabin down, and hope for one more upgrade. Either way i have been very lucky and if i dont get aother upgrade i will be happy with what i have got.

Heres to optimisium :rolleyes:

We were upgraded on the Ventura last year to a high deck mid ship balcony. Didn't know till we got to the Pier. Unless I overlooked something, I didn't know. We had asked for it at the time of booking, and it was my birthday, so maybe people with "occasions" get priorty?

:D

Well done Londonbabe.. heres to the next!!

Just out of interest...who did you ask for the upgrade pls

Regards

Buddy:)

The first time was Thomas Cook (as i booked through them)

The 2nd time TC denied all knowlegde of giving an upgrade and told me i had to speak to P&O direct. P&O said I couldnt have one as they dont to free upgrades. 2 days later my cabin had changed. The third time i'm guessing it was P&O as i checked my cruise personaliser and it had changed again.

Hi booked on the Ventura 2weeks ago for Nov could only get a inside cabin the number we would get before sailing,this morning we got cabin E120- NA looks like it is outside obstructed view , will this be our final cabin number and is it a ok cabin!!!!

Hi,

We went on Oceana Feb this year Barbados to Acapulco through Panama canal. We could only afford an inside cabin. Two days before leaving for the airport I got a call from my travel agent, Ideal Crusing to say P and O had rang them offering us an upgrade to a JA Balcony Cabin! I couldnt believe it!!!! It would have cost hundreds of pounds more !!! I was very smug with that especailly when i found out from fellow passengers what it would have cost!!! I doubnt we will ever get an upgrade free of charge like again but one can only hope. Our next cruise is next December (2012) for my husbands 50th! I have already paid for a lovely balcony but would be very happy to get a suite!!! Ha ha doubt that will happen!!! :)

We were upgraded on the Ventura last year to a high deck mid ship balcony. Didn't know till we got to the Pier. Unless I overlooked something, I didn't know. We had asked for it at the time of booking, and it was my birthday, so maybe people with "occasions" get priorty?

you maybe right. I found out about the JB cabin 2 days before my birthday

You are very lucky Essexlass. I have read of quite a few on here who have been allocated C deck with guarantees, which always surprises me as you would think they are amongst the most sought after balconies. :)

Only amongst those who have previously sailed on her, or who read forums such as this. There is nothing in the brochure to suggest that C deck cabins have larger balconies.

Only amongst those who have previously sailed on her, or who read forums such as this. There is nothing in the brochure to suggest that C deck cabins have larger balconies.

Wonder why they don't charge a premium for these cabins?

Wonder why they don't charge a premium for these cabins?

I believe that Princess charge a premium rate for these cabins on similar ships, equivalent to the cost of cabins on the upper decks. If demand for these cabins continues to grow P&O could follow suit, perhaps describing them as "outside cabin with terrace"

I believe that Princess charge a premium rate for these cabins on similar ships, equivalent to the cost of cabins on the upper decks. If demand for these cabins continues to grow P&O could follow suit, perhaps describing them as "outside cabin with terrace"

Strangely, we've had 2 C deck cabins on Princess, but never managed one on P&O yet.

When we were looking to book last year, onboard Ventura's TA for this year's TA on Azura, there were only premium priced C deck cabins available (midships) the others being supposedly sold out :rolleyes: so we decided to wait. Nothing came up port side so we booked a different deck. After we'd booked they came up right left and center - literally!

They could definitely sell them at a premium as a Terrace balcony, with steamer chairs and balcony drinks/canapes etc. :eek:

• 1 month later...

We have had free upgrades within the same cabin type before JE-JB on Ventura

We are on A127 - and Cumbria Cruise rang me yesterday and offered a 'paid' upgrade from CC guarantee to one of the family suites.:D:D

It was a small amount of money, and given our CC was above Manhattan and there are 4 of us, we have gone for it.

so we have gone from the back of the ship to the front!;)

Archived