marina almost perfect

westmount

It's been a couple of weeks since coming off a great trip from Venice to Istanbul. We have been lovers of Seabourn since our first cruise five years ago, simply because we thought they did everything just perfectly. Well, now that we've been on Regent, Azamara, Oceania and about four Seabourn cruises, I have to say that at least on the Marina, Oceania has it almost perfect.

Firstly, I will say that either we were unlucky or this is the fall back, our room (Penthouse) could have been cleaned a bit better ( we found a used razor in the tub the day we arrived) and we found something lacking in the cleaning department, but everything else was fantastic. The room was big, furnished like a cute apartment, the amenities plentiful, but the food, awesome. The specialty restaurants were the best we've seen on the high seas, and not only was the food good, my wife found healthy food and light food to go with everything else they were throwing our way. Frankly, for the reasonable prices they seem to charge, I see Oceania only going one way, and that's up, and think Seabourn and Silverseas had better get their act together or they'll lose the crowd that wants to see value for their money.

It's been a couple years now since our last Seabourn cruise, and we're doing a great Christmas trip with our daughters with them this year, but I will always remember my dinner in the Tuscany Restaurant for quite awhile, the food, the wine, it really did make a great trip a bit better.

Westmount

Firstly, I will say that either we were unlucky or this is the fall back, our room (Penthouse) could have been cleaned a bit better ( we found a used razor in the tub the day we arrived) and we found something lacking in the cleaning department, but everything else was fantastic.

I do hope you brought this to the housekeeping manager's attention?

That is unacceptable

It's been a couple years now since our last Seabourn cruise, and we're doing a great Christmas trip with our daughters with them this year, but I will always remember my dinner in the Tuscany Restaurant for quite awhile, the food, the wine, it really did make a great trip a bit better.

Westmount

Do you mean Toscana on Marina or ?

It's been a couple of weeks since coming off a great trip from Venice to Istanbul. We have been lovers of Seabourn since our first cruise five years ago, simply because we thought they did everything just perfectly. Well, now that we've been on Regent, Azamara, Oceania and about four Seabourn cruises

.... my wife found healthy food and light food to go with n the Marina, Oceania has it almost perfect .... the amenities plentiful, but the food, awesome. The specialty restaurants were the best we've seen

Westmount

We fly to Venice in two days for our first Oceania cruise on the Marina. Our most recent two cruises were Seabourn (which we loved ) and Silverseas. From your report, we think we made a good decision to try Oceania this time.

Westmount,

I agree with much of your review of the Marina, especially the terrific accommodations in a PH and the great food in the specialty restaurants. However, if you travel in a PH you are probably paying more on a per diem basis than you would on Seabourn and Silversea and not getting tips and alcohol included. It's still a great experience though.

Hi westmount -

We were on the same cruise and had a wonderful experience (my review is up under my screen name of Rubysue). We could not pick a favorite from the specialty restaurants (all equally superb). La Reserve was fantastic and we really enjoyed the Terrace cafe (GDR was also nice but we only ate there once). Our PH2 was kept in great shape; sorry to hear you had some issues in that regard.

Our only major complaints:

1) Egressing the ship is challenging for someone who has limited mobility, whether you are docked or anchored (this has been noted in other reviews). The crew was very helpful, however.

2) We took two ship excursions (reluctantly) and had mediocre to poor experiences. OCL excursions will be the last option we will select in the future. The ship excursions have been discussed many times on this board.

We're booked again next year on the Continental Connoisseur itinerary. We gulped and upgraded from an A4 to a PH2; we are now completely spoiled!

I thought there was enough for everyone's taste, so I left out the entertainment and excursion issue. We went to the comedian who happened to be quite funny, saving our evenings for late dinners. Most of our excursions were OK, but we went only with small groups which is usually half the battle, but it cost more. I didn't like paying extra for the butler and staff, since I did so myself and always feel service charges should be included and tips at the discretion of passenger. While I enjoy all inclusive drinks on some other ships, it isn't a big deal paying for what you want when you want it,(or not). The PH suites on Oceania are quite a bit bigger than the regular rooms on Seabourn, and the PH rooms on SB are more expensive for the same type trip. Seabourn is great, still my wife's favorite, but for me who plans and pays, the Marina and her upcoming sister are no slouches. I'll take then over their own cousins at Regent anytime.

Westmount

Archived