***Stupid ? Alert***

As the saying goes the only stupid ? is the one not asked...So keep that in mind when reading my post:o

When I shot film with a slr, and changed my lens, you had to cover the opening of the camera body to avoid any light getting in...

(***Stupid ? Alert***)

Do you have to do the same thing with a dslr? I'm thinking no, but just want to make sure.

No, even if mirror is up and sensor gets exposed its digital so no worries!

:D

One thing TO DO is TURN OFF THE CAMERA before changing lenses!

As the saying goes the only stupid ? is the one not asked...So keep that in mind when reading my post:o

When I shot film with a slr, and changed my lens, you had to cover the opening of the camera body to avoid any light getting in...

(***Stupid ? Alert***)

Do you have to do the same thing with a dslr? I'm thinking no, but just want to make sure.

(***Stupid ? Alert***)

"Stupid" would have been not asking this and destroying your sensor had that been a possibility! ;)

Think of all the shy people you helped by asking this and getting an answer!

Happy shooting!

Dave

I rarely turn my camera off. I'm willy nilly. Camera on and I change lenses, change batteries, change memory cards and occasionally change my mind. No problem. The camera senses when a door is opened or lens removed to protect itself against idiot operators.

You can change lenses any time w/o any light leak. I never worry about turning the camera off before changing lenses. IMPORTANT: When you're changing lenses, try to hold the camera with the mount (hole) facing down. This way dirt won't fall into the sensor area and cause you to have black specks on your photos.

FWIW at least for us black lense shooters not turning camera off and possible not letting VR settle has been rumored to be not a good thing for some notable very expensive gold labled lenses.

I have to admit that both 200F2 and 70-200 VRII have been dismounted hot with no issues, but I try and be smart about it.

You should think thru your comment if for example if the camera was hot, were pushing the shutter half down and had focus and IS engaged than also decided to dismount the lense too, just doesn't sound like a good combo to me ;)

I rarely turn my camera off. I'm willy nilly. Camera on and I change lenses, change batteries, change memory cards and occasionally change my mind. No problem. The camera senses when a door is opened or lens removed to protect itself against idiot operators.

(***Stupid ? Alert***)

Thanks for asking this question; I also needed to know this. I pore over this forum daily for information and have learned so much. As far as the stupid question thing goes...during a camera club meeting I asked a question I thought was pretty silly, and afterward a member thanked me for doing so; she needed the same info but didn't want to ask. So you never know who else might be wondering the same thing.

Archived