To scared for cave tubing

tweety33

First mistake was telling her there were! :(

Can you tell her that you are going on the cave that does not have bats?

Beadbabe:

I didn't tell her; she asked ;)

We play Donkey Kong on the WII and there is bats in the cave levels- I am assuming she put two and two together from that. I DEFINITELY wouldn't lie to her and say there wasn't any!!

I did recently see a picture of them; they are teeny tiny and way up where- but I am okay with her deciding not to go with us :)

Thanks! I've seen the disclaimer on the tour companies' sites that say pregnant women can't participate so I wasn't sure if they were all like that. I'll ask around and find one where they'll take me!

At 4 months, it's unlikely anyone would even notice a pregnancy. I think the disclaimer is primarily for women at the more obvious stage, ie. giving birth is imminent - and to cover their butts in case someone is high risk or would try to place blame on an activity for something going wrong in the pregnancy.

Unless your doctor says otherwise, I would say tubing is a pretty tame activity, particularly compared to, say, marathon running or dancing. 32 years ago, I took disco lessons at 8 months along - it was a sight to behold, I'm sure, but had no adverse affect.

I have just got back from doing cavetubing with cavetubing.bz -fantastic people to go with. We had such a fun day! I actually didn't see any bats. Our tubes were comfortable/relaxing-you can see the stalligtite/mite formations/ different types of rocks on the walls etc. and the tour guides explain it all to you, plus other stuff on the walk up. They also tell you about Belize on the trip out in an airconditioned mini-van. Nice, small personal tour. We had Vitalino Jnr and Axel. A fun day-they looked after us so well, ensuring our safety etc, They also provided a tasty lunch and unlimited rum punch after the tour! Best tasting rum punch I've ever had. One of the highlights of our cruise.

<snip>

To sum up the answer from the questions from Oviedo32765:

Only two negative comments, one was a man who lost 6 teeth, and another woman whom died, and no I don't want to be number two, though that has nothing to do with my fears. I get your point, thanks, but none of them were my fears.</snip>

:eek: Holy cr@p! I haven't seen those!!!!!!!! As a matter of fact, I can't recall reading anything negative, except for the heat and an occasional insect bite while walking to and from the site.

Maybe I need to reconsider cave tubing! :confused:

I've always wanted to try cave tubing but didn't dare. This cruise I decided I would be brave & adventurous & book it..........until I did all my research here & now I say no way, I'm to chicken.

I know you all say you love it & it was one of your best excursions but these are the different things I read on here that have me now to scared to try it.

Bats that did swoop & hit someone, let alone hanging above, snake in the water:eek::eek:, 50' deep in some spots, to shallow in other spots & they had to get out & walk a bit, Dark:eek:, falling backwards from the dock to get into the tube, having someones feet linked in your armpits, approx. 30-40 min floating thru the cave in darkness getting a soar neck (though one company has pillow attached to the tube.

I guess for now my big adventure will be zip lining in Roatan (i'm so scared of heights). I will remember that you all are so glad you did tubing & had a blast but, I need a lot more courage before I dare try tubing in Belize............ so for now I'll have to find another thing to do in Belize. We did a ship island tour last time in Belize.

If you are "to" (sic) scared to do it, then do not do it. However, all your fears are irrational and unfounded.

DON

How long (and treacherous) is the walk to get to the launch site?

I've had three kneee surgeries, and a long walk through rough jungle may have me turning this one down :(

The walk is not treacherous at all. It is a wide, well traveled path that is mostly level. A person in good condition walking at a decent pace could probably do it in 15-20 minutes. We took 45 because we stopped quite a few times to rest and learn something. If you are able to stand/walk for 45 minutes you won't have trouble with this.

• 2 weeks later...

We just did ATV & tubing with .com last week. Great experience! Wonderful and very funny guides. As for the walk/trek to the water, I was honestly surprised at how strenuous the walk could be at times. There were at least 3-sets of "natural" stairs with wooden handrails, and twice we had to walk through water over slippery rocks. Honestly, it was fine and we made it with no problems (even 1 person with asthma had no problem), but I think others should know it's not a leisurely stroll. I was glad to reach the water and it was definitely worth it.

As for the OP, we were never in complete darkness. I kept waiting for this darkness so many talked about and it never happened. We had to lift our butts maybe 3 times total. I saw 1 or 2 bats and they were so high up they could have been birds for all I knew. Feet in my armpits was not that bad, but yes, I think they should eventually switch to the tubes with clips. There was no dock to fall from. Simply walk your tube into the water and sit on it. I was worried about my neck hurting, but it didn't. The whole thing was very relaxing.

I brought underwater camera and a FLIP with an underwater case. However, .com gave out ziploc bags to people without waterproof cameras.

What about taking cameras? Would love to get some great pictures but am a little worried about bringing our really good camera with the extra flash on it. Any chance of it falling in the water?

Yes, there is a chance it will fall in the water. You should expect that anything you bring with you will probably get wet. A Ziploc bag provides some protection, but I have learned from past experience that they are not guaranteed waterproof, especially if submerged. And if the camera is in a Ziploc bag and falls into the water, will it float?

I personally wouldn't bring an expensive camera that was not waterproof (or iPhone, etc). But you can invest in a disposable or cheap waterproof camera. There are many great picture opportunities on the hike and the float.

I absolutely would never do this, just as I would absolutely never go camping. If we ever make it back to Belize when my kids are older (7 and 10 now), I would let them go with my husband. We are, however, all going ziplining in Belize! It's all about comfort level. I fear the dark way more than I fear heights.

I have been reading everyone's advice & have a few questions too. We are on Carnival Legend & I don't think we have a tender in Belize - do we just walk off & the tour guide is waiting for us? Also, I am so torn between .bz & viv tours. My hubby is recovering from a herniated disc in his lower lumbar region - I wondered if sitting with no support for his head would bother him? Right now he has a hard time sitting for extended periods of time in a car or chair. Also, I read that the VIV tubes are harder to carry because they have a mesh bottom & you can't put them over your shoulder like a purse strap. Can anyone comment on this? Is lunch provided with VIV tours or only .bz? And approx what time do we get back to the pier? I'm not afraid of missing the boat, but I was hoping to have a few mins to spare to do a little shopping - would really like to find some cashew wine:D Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unless something drastic has changed in the last month, you will tender at Belize. When you make a reservation you will receive easy to follow instructions on how to meet your group, but basically you just walk through the port area and they are waiting for you outside with signs.

With .bz you get lunch, with VIV you get the nicer tubes. VIV does not have lunch. As far as carrying the tubes, I didn't think it was a big deal. I only did VIV, so I can't compare, but I just switched arms a lot. These tubes have handles, which I think more than makes up for not being able to loop through. Several people were balancing the tube on their head, which wasn't hard to do with these tubes because of the mesh and the head rest. I have no idea if either tube would cause a problem for your husband, but VIV's have a head rest. We got back to the pier with about an hour to spare. The earlier you get off the ship, the sooner your tour will leave and the earlier you will get back. All of the tours go to the same place and float the same river, which is about an hour drive each way, so nobody will get you back real early. You might get back a little earlier with VIV since you wouldn't be taking the time for lunch.

Thanks so much for the info - yeah, your right - tender in GC & Belize - I keep getting that mixed up!!:confused: I appreciate hearing from someone who has actually done the tour. It helps to decide on what would be the better way to go. My hubby's not totally debilitated or anything (he's only 49) but this back thing has been going on for over 6 months & we just didn't want to risk doing anything that may reinjure it or cause any more discomfort than he's already had. Appreciate so much you posting so quickly!!

Did this kind of trip when I was 60 and my Mom was 85. Of course, neither of us is afraid of water, bats, snakes or the dark! On the other hand, my sister-in-law thinks it's very dangerous to get off the ship in a foreign land. Takes all kinds! My feeling is that, at the end of your life, you're more likely to regret the things you didn't due because of fear than the things you did do.

Did this kind of trip when I was 60 and my Mom was 85. Of course, neither of us is afraid of water, bats, snakes or the dark! On the other hand, my sister-in-law thinks it's very dangerous to get off the ship in a foreign land. Takes all kinds! My feeling is that, at the end of your life, you're more likely to regret the things you didn't due because of fear than the things you did do.

Totally agree!! I've been in many foreign countries & I think it's just as dangerous here in parts of the USA as in other countries. And if you never challenge yourself - how will you ever know what you're capable of? Everyone needs that adrenaline rush to keep them young & alive!!:D

I love your thinking!!!

• 1 month later...
Cackles, subconsciously I think you may have been right, me wanting someone to change my mind. Thank you for your detailed review, Its got me slightly reconsidering.

Few more questions:

Is the water really only 60 degrees? Brrr wasn't that cold? So is it true you & your feet can stay dry?

Do you wear your bathing suit for the 30 min. hike & in the tubes, in case you get all wet. Or do you just wear your clothes, shorts, top, & bring dry clothes in case they got wet?

Since it is so dark besides your headlight, what do you actually see? Some say it is so beautiful. Or is it just the thrill of tubing in a cave, which I am assuming it would be for me.

Is this a one time adventure for most or something you'd like doing again & again.

Thanks, I'm still trying to convince myself to be brave.

I booked cave tubing this summer and it sounded great - then I got nervous the day before we went. But I am too proud to chicken out, so I went - and I'm so glad I did! I swear, the scariest part was the drive to the river (Belizean roads are not smooth!). We also walked into the river and sat on the tubes, not sure that I saw anyone at all "falling" into their tubes with any company. Everything you wear will get a little wet. Most of us just wore our bathing suits and lifejackets for the walk over. You can wear clothes if you want, but bring something to change into. The only time I really got wet was getting on the tube. And my butt was in a few inches, but that was it. Cavetubing.bz gave us plenty of time to change before leaving. It's maybe a 45 minute drive back to the port, and you probably don't want to do it wet. The water is cool, but my guess would be around 70 degrees, not 60, and this was December. It's not super-dark, especially with the headlamps. You can see but it's dim. It was not the least bit scary, and I'm a huge chicken. As others have mentioned, our guides walked alongside us most of the trip. I imagine the river would be higher during the rainy season, though. Go!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I could have easily written the first post on this thread. My fears are the same.

My questions:

1.) Does the ship sponsored tour link by ropes or feet?

2.) How long is this hike to the tubes? Do you carry your tube the entire time?

3.) How "athletic and in shape" does one need to be to go on this trip?

4.) Is there a weight limit?

5.) Someone mentioned a waiver...what is the waiver for??

According to our tour guide - there are no snakes. The water is too cold for them. Also, we walked down into the water and sat down in our tubes - no falling back.

Which tour lets you do this? I have no desire to "fall" backwards from a dock...

Wow! I don't mean to make light of anyone's fears, but I can't see a single thing to be afraid of in the slightest!

1. Snakes? I asked about them out of curiosity. I was told no snakes in the water. Heck, I saw a copperhead while walking to a McDonald's in Myrtle Beach once! Now that was scary! I was kind of hoping to see something interesting, but just some neat plant life on our trip!

2. Dark? Everyone in our party had lights on their helmets. They illuminated EVERYTHING! It was absolutely GORGEOUS in the caves. They were also HUGE! It was not like traveling through a little tunnel. It was like an enormous room! Though some in our group, including my husband and daughter saw the little bats, I did not see them. Apparently they were tiny and attached to the ceiling. Certainly not a threat in the slightest. Bats have a bad rap. They like bugs and/or fruit and have no interest in people (except maybe Edward!)

3. Water level? Ours was fairly low, but we didn't drag our rears on anything! As for high water, does it really matter if it is 7 feet or 70? If it is over your head, it is over your head! I never really got the "how deep is the water" concern. Besides, everyone has a life vest. You will have no choice but to float.

4. Granted, my family and I choose pretty adventurous excursions. We have ziplined in Costa Rico and even parasailed off the Alps in Germany (now that was terrifying!) Cavetubing was fun, but not risky or the type of an experience which even gives you a "rush" type feeling. We "tubed the ditch" in Hawaii and I found that a bit more of an adventure. Cavetubing is like a lazy river with a couple of moments of rippling water. Much of the trip the guides pulled us along. It was fun, relaxing, and a great way to see some absolutely AMAZING caves. We used Cavetubing.Bz and were very pleased. Other than wading across the water at the beginning of the trail, I hardly even got wet! My mom is 79 and enjoyed it with us. Oh yes, we "dropped" backwards into the tube. Think of it as sitting on a low toilet. Bend, and drop! The guides steady a tube. Frankly it was the best way I've ever seen to get in a tube! I've watched too many tubes squirt out from under people when they attempt to get into them in the water! No one at all had any trouble whatsoever! My mom got in the tube that way too! No biggie!

5. For those of you who are nervous, seriously, don't be. You'll love it and be very proud of yourselves for trying something new. My pictures are not that terrific, but I've seen some great pictures on here. They could calm your apprehension. If you are still uncomfortable. I'd suggest the ruins. I heard they were great!

I've always wanted to try cave tubing but didn't dare. This cruise I decided I would be brave & adventurous & book it..........until I did all my research here & now I say no way, I'm to chicken.

I know you all say you love it & it was one of your best excursions but these are the different things I read on here that have me now to scared to try it.

Bats that did swoop & hit someone, let alone hanging above, snake in the water:eek::eek:, 50' deep in some spots, to shallow in other spots & they had to get out & walk a bit, Dark:eek:, falling backwards from the dock to get into the tube, having someones feet linked in your armpits, approx. 30-40 min floating thru the cave in darkness getting a soar neck (though one company has pillow attached to the tube.

I guess for now my big adventure will be zip lining in Roatan (i'm so scared of heights). I will remember that you all are so glad you did tubing & had a blast but, I need a lot more courage before I dare try tubing in Belize............ so for now I'll have to find another thing to do in Belize. We did a ship island tour last time in Belize.

Just off of the New Years Star cruise with my husband and two teenage girls. We booked ziplining and snorkelling in Roatan and cave tubing in Belize. We couldn't snorkel due to bad weather (it was pouring rain all day) but we still ziplined at South Shore Canopy. It was amazing. And my 14 year old who is not very adventurous and worries a lot - she loved it too. We cave tubed the next day. Although it was very interesting learning about the Mayan culture - the excursion paled in excitement to the ziplining. Yes, we saw a few bats - they stayed put and were very high up, not moving. The caves were dark if you turn your headlamp off, but we only did that once as a group just to see how dark it really was. There were so many different tour companies cave tubing and you float very slow through the water. We never had to get out and walk in the water. You will have to walk through a shallow area at the beginning of the hike but it's only about a 10-15 foot walk and there is a rope to hold onto. We tubed with VIV tours so had the head cushions and mesh in the inner part of tube. They also hook the tubes together with heavy clips so you don't have to interlock feet and armpits at all. Didn't see any snakes at all. Getting into the tube, you do have to fall back but there are two people helping you do so and there was hardly a splash when I did it - and I'm not exactly small in the rear area.

It was about an hour drive to get to the tubing area, then a 40 minute hike through beautiful rainforest. If you like to learn about history and culture, I think you will be happy on this tour. Tip: take a ziploc bag and put your camera in it so you can take pictures. Otherwise your camera may get wet. If you are looking for a rushing experiencing - it's the ziplining. Have fun.

I'm so glad to have come across this thread. We're booked on a cave cubing excursion in a couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it fairly safe to take a regular (not waterproof) camera without having to be afraid of it getting wet? In other words, is it very unlikely that you would fall off the tube or otherwise have a situation where you could not avoid getting the camera wet?
  2. Is it safe to wear glasses or is there a chance of losing those as well? I have a couple of old pairs I could bring along just in case. I assume sunglasses would not be recommended for the caves.

I'm so glad to have come across this thread. We're booked on a cave cubing excursion in a couple of weeks and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it fairly safe to take a regular (not waterproof) camera without having to be afraid of it getting wet? In other words, is it very unlikely that you would fall off the tube or otherwise have a situation where you could not avoid getting the camera wet? You have to carry your tube through the rainforest and then hold on to the sides of it when you are floating on it. But it is a calm ride through the caves - no splashing, etc. I would suggest the ziploc bag to carry it in and when you need to take a photo, take it out.
  2. Is it safe to wear glasses or is there a chance of losing those as well? I have a couple of old pairs I could bring along just in case. I assume sunglasses would not be recommended for the caves. In my opinion you don't need sunglasses at all. The rainforest is pretty much covered with some sunlight seeping through and if you wear sunglasses inside the cave you won't be able to see the formations which, for me, were the best thing about the tubing.

See above in red...

1. Is it fairly safe to take a regular (not waterproof) camera without having to be afraid of it getting wet? In other words, is it very unlikely that you would fall off the tube or otherwise have a situation where you could not avoid getting the camera wet?
  2. Is it safe to wear glasses or is there a chance of losing those as well? I have a couple of old pairs I could bring along just in case. I assume sunglasses would not be recommended for the caves.

For regular glasses I would go ahead and bring older ones if you have them. You probably won't have trouble, but if they do fall off you might not get them back. You should expect everything you bring may get wet. From personal experience I know that a Ziploc bag is not always water tight. Our guide told us that someone brought their iPhone in a Ziploc and it fell into the water and was ruined. We brought a waterproof camera so we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Archived