Lost luggage at end of cruise

I KEEP MY LUGGAGE WITH ME AT ALL TIMES! When we went on our TA in May, they couldn't find our bags. We were frantic! By 8 p.m., they had finally "found" our luggage. It sure was a fright. This trip (Cananda/New England on the 15th--this Sat.) I am carrying my luggage on and off MYSELF. It will NOT leave me. This is your best option if it's doable. We've done it before and have always been glad we have done so.

Sharon

I didn't think that you could carry it on if it doesn't fit in the x-ray machine. Mine would never fit in there as we bring one big bag and a couple smaller ones. The last cruise we did carry our's off and it was great.

We recently finished an B2B on the Serenade in Puerto Rico and took a porter to retrieve our bags with instructions to check the luggage labels and name tags to make sure that they were ours. He retrieved three bags, a blue suitcase, a green hanging bag and a black hanging bag all of which had the departure tags, Green and 4.

We took a cab to the airport and another porter took the bags through the USDA scanner and then to the check in gate for Jet Blue.

We eventually arrived home and began to unpack only to discover that the black hanging bag was not ours. It had no luggage tag on it but was identical in every respect to our bag.

We contacted Royal luggage department and explained what had happened and they had a report of a missing bag from a Puerto Rico resident. We have sent the missing bag via FedEx to Puerto Rico and at a cost to us of $211.64 and Royal are sending our missing bag to us on a freight forward (C.O.D) via FedEx.

His bag weighed 27 lbs, ours weighs more than 38 lbs so the entire mistake will have cost us in excess of $500.

All I can say is that the mistake, on our part, of not checking behind the porter proved to be very expensive and I can guarantee that it will never happen again.

We just got a call from Royal Caribbean, and our bag was found at the port. They're shipping it out today. Yay!!!!!

GREAT news! We're so glad to hear they found your bag, and we know exactly how happy you are right now...:)....been there!! There's nothing better than getting that phone call and finding out your bag is on its way home to you.

In our case, our missing bag was completely full of dirty laundry - nothing else - BUT all our favorite underwear, swim suits, and favorite jeans were in there! :eek: I've never been so happy to get a bunch of dirty clothes....and, by the way, nothing was missing when we got it back.:p

Judy

GREAT news! We're so glad to hear they found your bag, and we know exactly how happy you are right now...:)....been there!! There's nothing better than getting that phone call and finding out your bag is on its way home to you.

In our case, our missing bag was completely full of dirty laundry - nothing else - BUT all our favorite underwear, swim suits, and favorite jeans were in there! :eek: I've never been so happy to get a bunch of dirty clothes....and, by the way, nothing was missing when we got it back.:p

Judy

This is one of the few times I will be looking forward to doing laundry!

Worse yet, the guy actually took it knowing it wasn't his, but was frustrated at not finding his quickly, and just took one!

Wow! I am speechless. It takes all sorts I suppose.

We usually do self debarkation so luckily do not have to deal with the anxiety. But I have had luggage missing at airport. Not a good way to start or end a trip.

We just got a call from Royal Caribbean, and our bag was found at the port. They're shipping it out today. Yay!!!!!

Glad you got it back, what a relief!:D

My case was missing at the end of our cruise on Navigator - never saw it again.:(

We were able to claim on our travel insurance but there was a bangle inside my make up case which had real sentimental value that i was really upset at losing. My own fault for not putting it in the hand luggage.

I have to say that Royal Caribbean were really helpful and even sent me a cheque to cover the cost of my policy going up after I lost my no claims.

Adele

We have two straps round each case with our name woven into them several times. This makes it easy to see them when we coolect them after we have got of the ship.

At Manchester airport in England another passenger was taking one of our cases of the carousel. I asked him his name. I then said why is he taking a case with someone else name on. He reluctantly gave it to me.

So it can happen anywher.

Hi there,

Last year on our cruise out of Venice, it was raining heavily at the port. Our RCI rep took our luggage all tagged for the trip. By evening, only one bag had turned up at our stateroom. We phoned the pursers desk and they said that some bags were left there. We went down and thakfully found our luggage, the RCI tags luggage had washed off in the rain...

This year we were advised we could leave the ship up to 9am even though they advertised Pltinum as having to get off at 7am. An RCI rep advised that it was ok to depart up until 9 as the luggage was in a supervised area. Thankfully our luggage was there when we disembarked at 8, but I was a little apprenheive that somebody else may have take it by mistake. We have all our luggage tagged with orange stickers..

This happened to us...Only we were the ones that took the wrong bag!

When we got home we had several messages on our home phone and the first message was a frantic lady saying she thinks we may have taken their bag. You see our bag was the only one left at the pier.

Of course when we checked our bags, we did take hers by mistake...They were the same brand/color/size. My hubby did not look at the tag and just took the bag thinking it was ours.

Well luckily for us and the other family...They were traveling to Orlando for a few days and the hotel was just down the street from where we lived, so I took the bag to them. When we met them at the hotel, we realized that the gal & I spent several hours talking at the pool while on the cruise.

They tried to bring us ours, but RCI would not let them. RCI shipped it to us for free.

This is one of the few times I will be looking forward to doing laundry!

You betcha...it'll be the best laundry ever!

Many years ago, just after we got married, we got our first washer and dryer. I remember sitting in the basement in lawn chairs toasting with a glass of wine as the first load washed. There really wasn't anything to see, as it was a top loader, but we were celebrating not ever having to use laundromats again!

But I was happy enough to get those dirty clothes in the lost bag back, I'd have even braved a laundromat and still enjoyed doing that particular load of laundry. (I wonder if they let you bring wine to a laundromat???? :D)

I travel a TON and have a few tips that have worked out well for me:

1) Bright colored luggage is easier to spot in rows and rows of luggage. Sure a lot of people have neon green luggage these days, but far fewer than black or red! I have bright green and then a hard cased luggage with street scenes of NYC. They stick out.

2) On the front of your suitcase put the location of your final destination. I got this tip from an airline worker when my luggage got lost for the tenth time flying between MPS and Laguardia during a snow storm. I swear it stormed EVERY TIME I flew. Anyway, she said if you take a piece of paper and write the final destination (in your case it would be the city and airport you are returning to or hotel you are staying at) it makes it a little bit harder to get mixed up with luggage going elsewhere (like PP mentioned their luggage wound up on a Grey Hound Bus). I only do this when I travel out of the country or fly in bad weather now, but it works!

After reading this thread, I decided to make my own neon orange colored luggage straps. I purchased one inch wide heavy duty neon orange webbing and snap closures from this site. http://www.cdwplus.com/

Total cost was about $12 and I should have enough materials to make three straps with about 10 minutes of labor! I will write our last name on the straps with permanent black markers.

• 1 year later...

I have two friends whose bags were lost between the disembarkation port and the airport when they were taking the bus transport from the cruise line. They never saw them again.

My bag went missing somewhere between Customs at disembarkation port and hotel. Shuttle company says they are not responsible and HAL says they are not responsible and Holiday Inn Express (where bags were stowed until check-in time at 3:00pm) says they are not responsible. Nothing expensive lost, but meaningful souvenirs and clothing. It's been 2 weeks and now I'm losing hope as I thought it would turn up by now. :-(

I bought a pink and purple plaid suitcase while under the effects of sedation after a colonoscopy. I was shocked to see it in the laundry room the next day. I debated whether or not to keep it but it is super easy to spot and no one could walk off with it by mistake. This year after the procedure I went out for lunch and then went home instead of going to the mall.

• 3 weeks later...

Argh! We just got off the Freedom this past Sunday and some irresponsible idiot woman took my cabinmate's bag by mistake (she blames the porters... really? You pointed to the wrong bag and it's the porters' fault?!) and now refuses to send it back due to the cost of the cross-country trip and RCI is washing their hands of the situation! Anyone got a suggestion or two on how to handle the situation? This was my friend's first RCI cruise and this situation is not making her want to become a repeat customer!

Argh! We just got off the Freedom this past Sunday and some irresponsible idiot woman took my cabinmate's bag by mistake (she blames the porters... really? You pointed to the wrong bag and it's the porters' fault?!) and now refuses to send it back due to the cost of the cross-country trip and RCI is washing their hands of the situation! Anyone got a suggestion or two on how to handle the situation? This was my friend's first RCI cruise and this situation is not making her want to become a repeat customer!

I believe you can pay for the shipping through UPS and just send her the labels. I would also tell your friends that it"s not the cruise lines fault.

had to lol.

the last post was 10/11/11; yet' date=' the next was 2013...... guess the subject didn't change :rolleyes:[/quote']

I guess that is what happens when one does a search.

The thread got me. I was reading and reading and looked to see if it was yesterday or today's post and was surprised to see how old it was.

It was still a good read though.:D

OK this is the second thread I read today that was started in 2011. How do these buried threads get revived?

Let's give credit where credit is due. They used the search feature and we're always complaining that people don't. :D

Let's give credit where credit is due. They used the search feature and we're always complaining that people don't. :D

That makes sense. I use the search engine too and I guess I am lucky that I never found an old, very old :p post. At least I think I was luck!

I have two friends whose bags were lost between the disembarkation port and the airport when they were taking the bus transport from the cruise line. They never saw them again.

My bag went missing somewhere between Customs at disembarkation port and hotel. Shuttle company says they are not responsible and HAL says they are not responsible and Holiday Inn Express (where bags were stowed until check-in time at 3:00pm) says they are not responsible. Nothing expensive lost, but meaningful souvenirs and clothing. It's been 2 weeks and now I'm losing hope as I thought it would turn up by now. :-(

There was a show on the Travel Channel last night that shows what they do with "lost luggage". It goes to an auction and/or to a resale place.

Sigh, you totally brought me back to my last cruise on the FOS.

Once the bags/people started clearing out of the terminal and I kept seeing a bag with a similar print as mine (a very distinct print, by the way.. not your usual black luggage) but much smaller in size circle around, I knew mine was gone. I picked up this other bag, called the number on the tag repeatedly and left voicemails..no luck. I went to a desk, along with a few other disgruntled guests, and reported my bag missing. I filled out a form and was reassured by the staff that missing bags eventually turn up. BF and I had some time to kill before our flight, so as we were shopping at Downtown Disney in Orlando, I received a call from an older lady claiming that she grabbed my bag by mistake. I was so relieved! Within a few days, it arrived at my house safe and sound. At least it saved me from paying baggage fees on my flight home, right?! :p

It all ended up fine, but it sure was a stressful few hours!

Archived