1st Cruise with new born - OV or Balcony?

snowwmax

OV or Balcony w/New Born?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. OV or Balcony w/New Born?

• Oceanview
    • Balcony

Evening Everyone,

My Sister in law booked a cruise on the Carnival Glory for 5 days out of Boston. We live in Massachusetts so no Airfare. I have mostly cruised with Celebrity and always get a balcony and I am considering this cruise. My daugther will be about 8 months old.

I am thinking of getting an Oceanview room - as they are larger than the balcony rooms. (220 sqft instead of 185 sqft)

You thoughts?

Thanks

-Steve

I have not cruised with a baby, but many who have recommend a balcony cabin because you can use the balcony to relax if the baby is sleeping. If your baby will sleep in a room that is not dark and/or with the tv on, maybe this isn't an issue.

It's unusual to find an OV cabin that big, so that is a factor too. What will you do while baby is sleeping, though? Take turns going places? Just sit there in the dark?

Definitely get a balcony....gives you someplace "to be" when baby is napping or down for the night.

Cabins are small, and you don't want to have to sit quietly in the dark 3 feet from your sleeping baby at 7pm! A balcony will provide a space outside of the cabin for you to read, chat, listen to your ipod, etc...

You do not want to be trapped with a baby who needs to nap and go to sleep early in a OV if you have a choice of a balcony. No choice, no doubt, balcony.

And I am wondering how an OV is larger than a balcony? Were you getting a special kind of OV? I've had both on Carnival and I can assure you, the cabin size is the same size.

At first I was going to mention that you can't cruise with a newborn (I was thinking 6 weeks or younger), but since your child is an older baby, get the balcony. Babies that age typically nap twice a day, for a total of 4 - 5 hours. I can't imagine being stuck in a tiny cabin that long on vacation.

If price difference isn't a huge factor for you then get a balcony as it sounds that this is what you are used to, however, if price is a big factor you can still cruise in an OV and have a good time. Consider your baby's schedule. If you have a LO that naps for 2 hours at a time a couple times a day, you may want a place to escape.

We decided against a balcony because of price combined with the fact that our 9mo currently takes 2 naps of about 40 minutes each and goes to bed at 8:30. For us being in the room during this time will be restful and if one parent wants to leave for a while the other is happy resting or reading.

Archived