How to do the Arizona & Missouri On our own

slomotion

We will dock in Honolulu on Friday, 10/28 and plan to grab a cab out to Pearl to see the Arizona and then the Missouri. We've been to the AZ before, but feel the need to pay our respects.

We've not been to the Missouri.

We want to do the Missouri after seeing the AZ.

When we're done we plan on taking "The Bus" into Waikiki and then back to the ship.

Any thoughts on doing the Missouri tour or which tour or anything else related?

Thanks

Your plan sounds a lot like our plan in April. We'd also like to go to the AZ Memorial on our own and I was wondering if by cab would be the easiest/best way. And then to Waikiki for some beach, shopping and dinner. I took a glance at "The Bus" schedule and it was confusing to me. I wonder if it's much more expensive to just use cabs all the way around?

Your plan sounds a lot like our plan in April. We'd also like to go to the AZ Memorial on our own and I was wondering if by cab would be the easiest/best way. And then to Waikiki for some beach, shopping and dinner. I took a glance at "The Bus" schedule and it was confusing to me. I wonder if it's much more expensive to just use cabs all the way around?

It's my understanding the the cab fare from the port to Pearl is about $35 - $40 and also you want to get to Pearl pretty early like 7:30 or 8:00.

I have not yet looked at bus schedules but it is "supposed" to be pretty easy to get to Waikiki on The Bus and back to the port, but I guess we'll find out.

You will need to walk up to the main road to catch The Bus to Waikiki. It runs regularly ( numbers 20 or 42 Waikiki Beach and Hotels) and is $2.50 pp. Make sure you allow up to 1.5 hours to get to Waikiki, it seems to stop everywhere!!

We used it to get to and from Pearl Harbour during our stay in September.

Have a lovely day out!

When was the last time you went to the Arizona Memorial? I was there a few months ago, and they have had Major upgrades/new buildings.... The desks were they hand out the tickets for the Arizona is now located close to the ticket window for the Missouri.

When we got there, around 10am, they were handing our tickets for 1pm.... I asked if I could get a later time. They said I could! So we got tickets for 3pm. That allowed us to have plenty of time to tour the Missouri first, and then come back for the Arizona.

Aloha,

John

We will dock in Honolulu on Friday, 10/28 and plan to grab a cab out to Pearl to see the Arizona and then the Missouri. We've been to the AZ before, but feel the need to pay our respects.

We've not been to the Missouri.

We want to do the Missouri after seeing the AZ.

touring the Missouri is easy enough. When you get on the ship, they'll offer you a free tour. Take it. We waited about 5 minutes and then we were off. The tour was about 30 mins and then we spent another 30 touring on our own. We really enjoyed it.

As another poster noted--if your Arizona tour is too close to the current time to allow enough time to tour the Missouri ask for a later for the AZ so that you can tour the Missouri first. You have to get a bus over to the island, so between waiting for the bus, catching the bus, the ride over and the same on the way back, it could be a total time including touring of 2 hours, so plan accordingly. Have fun.

touring the Missouri is easy enough. When you get on the ship, they'll offer you a free tour. Take it. We waited about 5 minutes and then we were off. The tour was about 30 mins and then we spent another 30 touring on our own. We really enjoyed it.

As another poster noted--if your Arizona tour is too close to the current time to allow enough time to tour the Missouri ask for a later for the AZ so that you can tour the Missouri first. You have to get a bus over to the island, so between waiting for the bus, catching the bus, the ride over and the same on the way back, it could be a total time including touring of 2 hours, so plan accordingly. Have fun.

Hi & thanks

A question,are the times for the Missouri fixed or flexible?

Another option to consider, besides taxi and bus, is shuttle service. There are several companies who run shuttles between the pier, Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, and the Flea Market. The least expensive I have seen is $6 per person each way but they seem to run about $10 per person each way. The benefit of this is being able to plan and reserve ahead. Cherie

There are several different tours of the Missouri, so would suggest that you check their website to figure out what might work for you. It will all depend on when you get to PH, what time your tickets for USS Arizona are, and how much more time you want to spend in the area.

It will take a minimum of two hours as previously stated to go over to Missouri, do even a short tour, and then return back to main area. Bus is the only way to get over to Ford Island for touring Missouri, and your bus is taken care of with your Missouri admission ticket fee.

ENJOY!

Hi & thanks

A question,are the times for the Missouri fixed or flexible?

The times for the Missouri are flexible...based solely on when you catch the bus and what time you board the Missouri. It's not like the Arizona at all.

Thanks to all of you. I now have a MUCH better idea of the logistics for visiting Pearl Harbor.

If we get there and get tickets to a tour that is within an hour (if we're lucky), it will make sense to do that. If not it will make sense to get tickets for the AZ that are perhaps at least 2½ - 3 hours later and do the Missouri and come back to do the AZ.

Thanks again.:)

Archived