reservation cancelled due to TA mistake

Category G oceanview cabins are available on the same deck...a few in the very front of the ship on deck 6 & 7 and a couple on deck 3...

That is your very best bet, closest to price that is available on that sailing that are close to each other...suggest see if you can get them before they are gone...

Hope you have a great cruise

This is why travel agents carry "error and omission" insurance. Nothing will be coming out of the agencies pockets.

Absolutely insist on being compensated.

Was a TA for 25 years.

I believe most of those policies also have a fairly large deductable that the agency would have to pay for first.

To the OP - RCCL has a resolutions department. Try to get a 3 way call with them and your TA. They have authorization to do things that the regular customer service reps cannot.

That is such a shame that this happened to you. We are on the same cruise as you (be sure to join out Meet and Mingle once you get this all worked out). We booked adjoining staterooms with my sister's family because it is Christmas. Of course you want your family to be near you. Lat time I checked, there were a few balcony cabins that were next to each other. If you actually have e-mails documenting that your TA messed up, I would think he would have to book you in those and make it right for you. Please let us know how everything works out.

I believe most of those policies also have a fairly large deductable that the agency would have to pay for first.

To the OP - RCCL has a resolutions department. Try to get a 3 way call with them and your TA. They have authorization to do things that the regular customer service reps cannot.

Yes but they cannot make rooms appear. They certainly will not (and should not) move other people out of their rooms for this guest and I see no reason why they would - or should - pay for the TA mistake.

The TA needs to make up for this and then the OP needs to find a new TA.

I just got a call from my TA. It looks like they couldn't find an extra room that would accommodate three people so they are going to try to get us three rooms. Not what I wanted but don't have a choice. It is late in the game to be picky so I am thankful we can at east be in the same boat. My TA feels bad and is trying his best. There just isn't a lot to choose from. He is working with RC to see who they can help. I hope at least we aren't too far from each other.

kONAKATE, we are actually cruising the week before Christmas docking on the 24th. We always try to cruise before Christmas. Since my son is going to Air Force pilot training after he graduates this May this will be the last family cruise for awhile and I just wanted to make it special.

I will let you all know what my TA gets when he talks with RC. And I agree HONEYBEE no one should be switched out of their rooms to accomodate us. I think the cruise line keeps a few rooms in their back picket for situations like this.

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. I will hopefully hear from my TA today and have another room booked by this evening.

Although I appreciate everyone's comments, I do not want more than I paid for. But I do expect to get what I paid for. And moving into a smaller room is not acceptable. I planned early. Maybe I should have been more persistent with the TA when he didn't answer my emails. But according to my paperwork, I had to the middle of November to make final payment and the questions I had were not important. But had we communicated better, maybe he would have caught his mistake and all would have been good. Lessons learned. I will let you know how it works out.

I'm assuming you're on the Voyager on Dec 24th???

Don't know why you think that the inside cabin would be smaller than the one you booked. They are all the same sq footage. There are a ton of cat M insides (doubles) together on deck 9 available. Only a couple triples (ocean view) available and they are on deck 2 and 3.

And I agree HONEYBEE no one should be switched out of their rooms to accomodate us. I think the cruise line keeps a few rooms in their back picket for situations like this.

If I had an inside room and was contacted to switch to a balcony, I would be very happy.

This is just another example of why I book everything myself. Why worry when booking online really couldnt be simpler? I just dont see the need for a travel agent in this day and time, but that is only my personal opinion.

To each his own.

Yes but they cannot make rooms appear. They certainly will not (and should not) move other people out of their rooms for this guest and I see no reason why they would - or should - pay for the TA mistake.

The TA needs to make up for this and then the OP needs to find a new TA.

No, no. I wasn't suggesting that RCCL move anyone. Not sure why you thought that. I was thinking they may be able to book them into OV near each other without costing the agent a fortune. Or at least be able to come up with something acceptable. Some of the cabins might just be on hold and RCCL would be able to see that. The Resolutions Department are excellent at trying to fix these sort of situations. They understand things happen and mistakes are made. They are more willing to work with you then the regular CS agents.

Thank you all for your insight and suggestions. I will hopefully hear from my TA today and have another room booked by this evening.

Although I appreciate everyone's comments, I do not want more than I paid for. But I do expect to get what I paid for. And moving into a smaller room is not acceptable. I planned early. Maybe I should have been more persistent with the TA when he didn't answer my emails. But according to my paperwork, I had to the middle of November to make final payment and the questions I had were not important. But had we communicated better, maybe he would have caught his mistake and all would have been good. Lessons learned. I will let you know how it works out.

I just got a call from my TA. It looks like they couldn't find an extra room that would accommodate three people so they are going to try to get us three rooms. Not what I wanted but don't have a choice. It is late in the game to be picky so I am thankful we can at east be in the same boat. My TA feels bad and is trying his best. There just isn't a lot to choose from. He is working with RC to see who they can help. I hope at least we aren't too far from each other.

kONAKATE, we are actually cruising the week before Christmas docking on the 24th. We always try to cruise before Christmas. Since my son is going to Air Force pilot training after he graduates this May this will be the last family cruise for awhile and I just wanted to make it special.

I will let you all know what my TA gets when he talks with RC. And I agree HONEYBEE no one should be switched out of their rooms to accomodate us. I think the cruise line keeps a few rooms in their back picket for situations like this.

You say that you always cruise before Christmas so I don't understand how this mistake could slip by you. Final payment is NEVER only 30 days before sailing and as a previous cruiser you should have realized that final payment would be not be in November. I am surprised that the TA would allow the reservation to cancel without contacting you. How did you become aware that the reservation had cancelled?

I'm assuming you're on the Voyager on Dec 24th???

Don't know why you think that the inside cabin would be smaller than the one you booked. They are all the same sq footage. There are a ton of cat M insides (doubles) together on deck 9 available. Only a couple triples (ocean view) available and they are on deck 2 and 3.

Because that is what he told me. Said I could only put two people in one of the original cabins and three in the other. And the one he was going to put us in on another deck was for two but would waive the third person rule. I am a novice cruiser so that is why I hired a TA.

it is the cruise on the 17.

TONYFRED, since I only cruise once a year, I don't want to screw up : ) so I hire a TA!

Because that is what he told me. Said I could only put two people in one of the original cabins and three in the other. And the one he was going to put us in on another deck was for two but would waive the third person rule. I am a novice cruiser so that is why I hired a TA.

TONYFRED, since I only cruise once a year, I don't want to screw up : ) so I hire a TA!

Sounds like you are the one faced with the screw up because you DID use a TA! :) Good luck though. I hope it all works out for you.

This is just another example of why I book everything myself. Why worry when booking online really couldnt be simpler? I just dont see the need for a travel agent in this day and time, but that is only my personal opinion.

To each his own.

No matter if you use a TA or not (an why wouldn't you when most offer a nice chunk of OBC for doing all the work for you) it's pretty simple to know when final payments are due. I think it even shows up when you log into your My Cruise account on Royal's website to look at excursions, book specialty restaurants, etc. I'd never depend solely on info from a TA for something that important but always double check it and mark it on my calendar.

Final payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 60 days prior to the sailing date for 3, 4, or 5-night cruise vacations and 75 days prior to the sailing date for 7-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually have access to your cruise documents 30 days prior to your sailing as long as your reservation is finalized.

For all holiday sailings, (Christmas and New Year's), payment is due 90 days prior to sailing.

You say that you always cruise before Christmas so I don't understand how this mistake could slip by you. Final payment is NEVER only 30 days before sailing and as a previous cruiser you should have realized that final payment would be not be in November. I am surprised that the TA would allow the reservation to cancel without contacting you. How did you become aware that the reservation had cancelled?

I am sorry but I agree....something just isn't sounding right about this thread....lots of inconsistency.

Here is my 2 cents worth...The exact same thing happened to us, we booked adjoining cabins for our friends and us, the TA never posted the down payment that my friend gave her, their mistake and RC cancelled the cruise. No one notified anyone of anything. we figured it out ourselves because we could never get my friend on the mycruises acct on RC so called the TA and had her check. Luckily we managed to get the same cabin. Personally I am never using a TA again but that's just me. We also had issues with our last TA so switched to this one.

:confused::confused::confused:

In the last three years we cruised two times. one being thanksgiving and one being the week before Christmas. I hire a TA because they are supposed to let me know when know when payment is due etc. And how I found out we were cancelled was because I noticed a credit from RC on my cc. My TA never even knew it was cancelled until I called him. He was stunned as I. And yes, I should have realized November was a bit late for a final payment but I trusted the TA with the details. Lesson learned again,

I am learning a lot as I read your responses and will most likely book my own cruise next time I am lucky enough to go on one. This way when a big mistAke is made, it will be mine.

Something is very wrong with this....there is no such thing as "waive the third person rule" when it comes to double occupancy cabins....you can't possible book 3 people into a double cabin.

Several years ago I cruised as a solo with my parents. They booked a cabin equivalent to a junior suite and I got an inside across the hall. As I was going solo and it was a 12 nighter TA I thought I could just use their balcony to get fresh air. Two weeks before we flew to Rome I was offered a switch to a balcony for just $12 ( to be honest I never found that charge on my card). It did not bother me that the two cabins were as far apart as you could get ( theirs was Deck 11 aft starbord corner and mine was the last cabin forward portside on deck 6. We saw plenty of each other, although I did get a little more exercise walking down for pre dinner "canapes." Just make sure you are all on the same ship and at the same dinner tables. Everything else is a minor pain at the worst.

Several years ago I cruised as a solo with my parents. They booked a cabin equivalent to a junior suite and I got an inside across the hall. As I was going solo and it was a 12 nighter TA I thought I could just use their balcony to get fresh air. Two weeks before we flew to Rome I was offered a switch to a balcony for just $12 ( to be honest I never found that charge on my card). It did not bother me that the two cabins were as far apart as you could get ( theirs was Deck 11 aft starbord corner and mine was the last cabin forward portside on deck 6. We saw plenty of each other, although I did get a little more exercise walking down for pre dinner "canapes." Just make sure you are all on the same ship and at the same dinner tables. Everything else is a minor pain at the worst.

No kidding. I always book some space between my mother's cabin and ours. I don't want her next door...and I definitely DON"T want a connecting cabin with her and her friend.

We can meet up for excursions and dinner, and that works out great for everyone. :)

No kidding. I always book some space between my mother's cabin and ours. I don't want her next door...and I definitely DON"T want a connecting cabin with her and her friend.

We can meet up for excursions and dinner, and that works out great for everyone. :)

totally agree. That's why there is a phone in your cabin

Honestly, she comes here for advice & help, and all some of you can do is expend effort to poke holes in her story! :(

Anyway, I don't have kids but have cruised with relatives, and to me it's just more convenient to be in cabins in the same area.

Mom, I realize you're not expecting a suite but I think what the helpful posters are trying to say is that you should insist on rooms that can accomodate you all close together, and if it costs the TA extra to do so by having to put you in higher category rooms or even a suite, you should insist on that.

Hope it works out!

Honestly, she comes here for advice & help, and all some of you can do is expend effort to poke holes in her story!

So true!

Mom....Instead of hand wringing, I think it's time to stop being "nice" to the TA, accepting what he/she is telling you, and telling the TA what exactly you want. If the TA can not accomodate, then it's time to gather all of your information and get the RCCL and the TA's company on the phone (as someone else suggested) and tell both what you want.

Be specific....be firm in what you want! Is a different cruise a possibility? Monetary compensation? And, since your son is going into the military, you won't be seeing him for awhile. That makes the TA's screw up hurtful to you and your family by not adhering to the plan you hired them to execute with the cruise. That means small claims court, as I'd pull that out as part of the conversation.

Archived