Waterproofing case for passport ?

Judylynn

Check with a sporting goods store or a place like bass pro shops. They usually have waterproof bags. Since you leave next week there is no time to order something online.

I personally don't take my original passport but a copy of it and my driver's license when going to the beach. I've done this many times.

We never take our passports out of the safe in our cabin. If you are worried about ID then make a color copy of the main page and take that with you in a plastic bag. If that gets wet...who cares? At least the real thing will be safe and dry.

You don't need to take your passport ashore...bring your room key and your DL (you should always have ID on you!!!)....they are the same size.....leave them in a bag in your boat/bus...whatever transportation you use to get to the snorkel site. If you're going it alone, they're plastic...water won't hurt them...stick them in a velcoed pocket.

I take a copy of the passport, a picture ID (often my driver license), some cash, and a credit card.

Usually in a ziplock bag. I go diving a lot, and wife/friends go snorkeling. It's ok if the cash gets wet and give tips that way. They are used to it.

If we "miss the boat" (never yet), then the photo ID and credit card will help you to get to the next port or back to home port.

Wouldn't you need your passport to get back to the US should you miss the ship?

Especially if you are a non-US citizen???

Yes, most especially if you are not a US citizen. A passport sitting in you cabin safe will do you no good should you need to fly from the island. Nor will it help you gain entry into any foreign country like the US.

In actual fact one can use a heavy duty ziplock type bag. Just make sure that all the air has been expressed out of it and that you have added a dessicant (moisture remover).

I use this pouch - the link is for the Canadian supplier. But the company makes other models that may suit you better. A google search of waterproof pouch will turn up many more options.

Regardless of the container you select you should make sure to get a dessicant. Silica Gel is one brand name. Aquapac mentioned above also sells dessicant packs. Moisture in the small amount of air in a sealed air tight container will condense if the temperature changes rapidly, e.g. when one snorkels.

Do not forget to test whatever system you decide to use. Test it and then practice using it a few times. When using it for real, tripple check your seals. I was so excited the first time I used my pouch that it cost me a passport and a cell phone.

Archived