Should CC Member Cruise Group Leaders be identified on these boards??

pmacher61

Pmacher61 makes a convincing arguement for me. They are gaining a benefit and a such they are not impartial. They are a bit like Travel Agents. Why would they not want to be identified anyway:confused:

A bit off topic but why would anyone want to join in these crazy trips anyway:eek:

I just got done reading this thread, and I just can't see how this is any big deal. Like someone else said, there are all kinds of personalities on this website and some people's agendas are crystal clear while others aren't. Most people are here to learn about different aspects of cruises and to chat about it. My question is, what's the Op's agenda to be wanting this badly enough to argue with people over it? I'm pretty trusting in people also, but this attitude of demanding certain people be branded is ridiculous. This isn't some sort of government website. It's a cruise website for goodness sake.

OP for some reason you only want CC official group cruise leaders to identify themselves. These are almost all Carnival cruises, so these are folks who like Carnival. (surprise??)

What about all the other posters on CC who lead groups that are not official groups..what exactly is the difference and why not demand they identify themselves as well, unless you are a hypocrite and just have something personal against one of these group leaders?? If you only want certain group cruise leaders to have to identify themselves (those doing CC groups), .. your logic is illogical because all get the same perks.

FYI to others you can go to the carnival forum and see who starts the threads on groups. The thread starter is the group leader. voila!!! Disclosed as the OP is demanding.

OP the more you argue what is a illogical stand, the more people think you have a personal agenda. You have 10 people who are group leaders, 3 are CC group leaders, 7 have groups off CC, and you only want the 3 CC group leaders to identify themselves. Sounds more and more like a personal problem to me.

Pmacher61 makes a convincing arguement for me. They are gaining a benefit and a such they are not impartial. They are a bit like Travel Agents. Why would they not want to be identified anyway:confused:

A bit off topic but why would anyone want to join in these crazy trips anyway:eek:

.....have to agree on both points....if there is nothing to be ashamed of than just list the affiliation and be done with it....perception is reality most of the time...

Nowadays it is routine for newspaper and magazine columnists to identify financial connections--however limited-- they or their publications have with the subjects of their comments; to expect the same of posters isn't to accuse them of corruption, it's just best practice. Pmacher is right.

FYI to others you can go to the carnival forum and see who starts the threads on groups. The thread starter is the group leader. voila!!! Disclosed as the OP is demanding.

Yes, it does seem strange, people are just assuming the OP actually checked to see if GL were in someway not disclosing the fact. Its the direct opposite, they are OPENLY letting people know they are leading a group.

Not sure why they dont just look at the member threads for themselves:confused:

This is a list of the CC member cruises, you can click on some to see the perks

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groupcruise.cfm

Usually they offer reduced deposits..$25pp, OBC, slightly cheaper pricing and a few smaller perks.

Its a great deal for cruisers that were already planning to book that cruise, or those that already booked will transfer their booking over to the group to get the perks.

While they do offer a chance for people to meet onboard, some people just book and never plan to interact with the group once onboard.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! Love to learn about stuff on here. The list has mostly Carnival cruises ~ are they the only line that encourages these types of cruises?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question! Love to learn about stuff on here. The list has mostly Carnival cruises ~ are they the only line that encourages these types of cruises?

Members here can do a cruise on any line. Carnival board members seem to do them much more than others.

I think many cruisers either dont know about CC member cruisers or dont want to deal with all the extra work involved. I would imagine they get bombarded with emails and since they often coordinate group space with hotels and onboard activities, part of their vacation time is dealing with members of their group.

I personally wouldnt want to be a GL, I like relaxing on the ship.:D

I personally wouldnt want to be a GL, I like relaxing on the ship.

Makes sense, and after reading this it seems their free cabin fare is well deserved. BTW, if they only need 8 cabins to get that, one would think that is easy to attain and they really would not have a reason to try to "sell" people on here to take that cruise, correct? Carnival seems to have a loyal following and a tight knit group of people so it appears that it's more like friends cruising together, or as somebody mentioned people who would take the cruise anyway but get perks out of it. Good deal for all involved.

Makes sense, and after reading this it seems their free cabin fare is well deserved. BTW, if they only need 8 cabins to get that, one would think that is easy to attain and they really would not have a reason to try to "sell" people on here to take that cruise, correct? Carnival seems to have a loyal following and a tight knit group of people so it appears that it's more like friends cruising together, or as somebody mentioned people who would take the cruise anyway but get perks out of it. Good deal for all involved.

Yes, usually its pretty easy to get the 8 cabins, because most GL pick newer ships. Some of the groups cruise together often. I think one had over 300 cruisers.

I have seen some groups get started then end up falling apart due to lack of interest.

Yes, it does seem strange, people are just assuming the OP actually checked to see if GL were in someway not disclosing the fact. Its the direct opposite, they are OPENLY letting people know they are leading a group

Not sure why they dont just look at the member threads for themselves:confused:

Good observation, again. Since posting and being advised above by "So Car 44" that most GLs in fact do have a link to the member cruise they are organizing I have taken a closer look at the CC cruise member cruises link. It seems that most GLs do identify themselves as such with a link. I initially believed it was not ordinarily done. Glad to see it appears to be the common practice. although I don't know if it is universally true.

p.s By way of explanation there was an overzealous cheerleader who I believed had failed to identify herself as a GL for a cruise on the line in question. I believed she was unfairly overselling the line contrary to the truth.

p.p.s. It sure is interesting to see how some people react on these boards to the very uncontroversial proposition that people ought to disclose a conflict of interest.

p.p.p.s. Apparently some GLs speread out the benefit via reduction in price to others in their group. Others do not. Either is OK with me. My only issue is that GLs ought to be disclosed on all threads dealing with the line in question - at least during the pendency of formation of the group.

Archived