Mystery Cruise

LHT28

Mystery Cruise  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Mystery Cruise

• YES...sounds like fun
    • NO ...I like to know the port stops ahead of time
    • Maybe..could be interesting & fun

NO! Been there and done that. Regatta August 26, 2011.

(We enjoyed most of the cruise despite the changes, but it was not fun to have our entire itinerary switched around on us. And for those who said that the final itinerary "sounded better" than the original one, as an experienced cruiser to Alaska, I can tell you that it wasn't, mainly because there was very little daylight cruising the full length of the Inside Passage, which is really the highlight. Also, dinner reservations which were carefully planned for specific nights, due to the itinerary, were much less than desirable with the changes.)

I hope Oceania will return in 2013 or 2014 to do more Alaska cruises, but please keep to the schedule as planned and plan on doing San Francisco round trips in July and early August, not later in the season.

Thank you.

NO! Been there and done that. Regatta August 26, 2011.

(We enjoyed most of the cruise despite the changes, but it was not fun to have our entire itinerary switched around on us. And for those who said that the final itinerary "sounded better" than the original one, as an experienced cruiser to Alaska, I can tell you that it wasn't, mainly because there was very little daylight cruising the full length of the Inside Passage, which is really the highlight. Also, dinner reservations which were carefully planned for specific nights, due to the itinerary, were much less than desirable with the changes.)

I hope Oceania will return in 2013 or 2014 to do more Alaska cruises, but please keep to the schedule as planned and plan on doing San Francisco round trips in July and early August, not later in the season.

Thank you.

Ah, but that is the beauty of Lyns' suggestion....... if there hadn't been an "original itinerary" then none of these complaints would apply.

I think that a "Que Sera Sera" Cruise sounds like a lot of fun!:D

Ah, but that is the beauty of Lyns' suggestion....... if there hadn't been an "original itinerary" then none of these complaints would apply.

I think that a "Que Sera Sera" Cruise sounds like a lot of fun!:D

Nothing wrong with valid complaints. It's how societies and companies progress, don't you think? :)

I think a "mystery cruise" as a one-off for those who are interested is fine; I am merely voicing my own opinion and itinerary is important to us, unless it's a very short "cruise to nowhere".

However, the fact is that you can't keep the ports secret anyway, as the ship will be listed at each port of call where they have reserved either docking or anchor space. If there are changes, those will soon show up, too.

Cruise lines have to file numerous documents, security plans, etc. ahead of time.

When changes were made to our cruise this past August, I got on the phone immediately to all the ports of call and found out several things, the most important of which was that not only could the Regatta indeed dock at Victoria as planned, but that the 11PM departure which Oceania said we would have (with the revision) would likely be 11:59 PM (and it turned out just as expected) for reasons that aren't necessary to discuss here.

I don't necessarily get bent out of shape at last minute changes, especially when I can see the reason for them. ( I'm not necessarily uninterested either! We weren't happy when Libya was scrubbed since we'd booked the cruise BECAUSE of Libya. But if the authorities wouldn't let US passengers off the ship when in port, there wasn't much point in going there.)

I prefer to research the ports ahead of time and not depend on ship's tours ... so I do want to have at least a reasonable idea of what lies ahead.

Mura

Exactly!!!

If you are not expecting to dock someplace then no disappointment :D

However, the fact is that you can't keep the ports secret anyway, as the ship will be listed at each port of call where they have reserved either docking or anchor space. If there are changes, those will soon show up, too.

Cruise lines have to file numerous documents, security plans, etc. ahead of time.

Well if you really want to keep it as a surprise then people do not have to look up the port info :D

Just a fun cruise for some more adventurous souls

Lyn

I had to think about this for a while. I like the idea of a surprise. However, the research, planning and dreaming about the new ports is part of my enjoyment of a cruise, so I have to vote to know where I'm going.

I had to think about this for a while. I like the idea of a surprise. However, the research, planning and dreaming about the new ports is part of my enjoyment of a cruise, so I have to vote to know where I'm going.

I agree, especially when some of the less desirable ports, I've been to several times already, may come up again. Oh all those Greek Islands. Planning is half the fun for us.;)

I suggested this a while back on the SeaDream board. Since SeaDream, and other lines, hit all the major Caribbean ports on their normal cruises (with SeaDream picking up a few more exotic ones), it would me cool to have "mystery cruise" where the captain just follows his whim and goes places he'd like to see, or where the warther conditions ideal, etc., especially to the more of the beaten track spots.

With only 100 pax the SeaDream sisters would be ideal for this. In fact, the captain could offer up a few choices of destination each evening during cocktails and folks could vote (via cheering) on which to go to. On our SeaDream cruise we hit some rather out of the way places and they turned out be our favorite stops (like Anegada)

If I could afford it I'd be on board in a New York minute. (What is a New York minute, anyway?) Used to be about the ports for me, although I love a TA, but my circumstances have changed and I'll go anywhere, or somewhere, depending on the bottom line. But even if cost weren't a priority I'd still be on board in a New York minute. Any cruise is better than no cruise. Even 19 days on NCL where I lost 6 pounds. I can say about cruising what I used to say about square dancing: It's like sex. When it's good it's great, but even when it's bad it's good.

I suggested this a while back on the SeaDream board. Since SeaDream, and other lines, hit all the major Caribbean ports on their normal cruises (with SeaDream picking up a few more exotic ones), it would me cool to have "mystery cruise" where the captain just follows his whim and goes places he'd like to see, or where the warther conditions ideal, etc., especially to the more of the beaten track spots.

With only 100 pax the SeaDream sisters would be ideal for this. In fact, the captain could offer up a few choices of destination each evening during cocktails and folks could vote (via cheering) on which to go to. On our SeaDream cruise we hit some rather out of the way places and they turned out be our favorite stops (like Anegada)

Even I, who initially rejected the idea, would be very much tempted by this!

Mura

P.S. to Purple ...

Not that I think you really need it ...

Regarding a NY Minute, I, was a Californian transplanted to NYC many years ago, can tell you that a NY minute is maybe 25 seconds. When I am walking up Fifth Avenue with all those tourist who are leisurely looking in the windows, I go nuts. I have a destination in mind, they are just taking in the scenery! It's a good thing that Fifth Avenue is very wide!

I don't walk as fast as I used to, but the minute I see those crowds of pedestrians I up the ante! Last winter we were with a friend, walking up from the Library at 42nd Street to a favorite Chinese restaurant on 47th Street, and he couldn't keep up with me. True, he was having knee problems (and ultimately had a knee replacement a couple of months later), but I also had problems ... which I forgot in the cold and the crowds.

Mura

I love the idea of a mystery cruise! Just think of all the time to be saved by not having to do all that research on the various ports - Caribbean excluded of course, no planning needed there - we will be visiting. I'm ready, just give me a call and I'll pack!!

Donna

Mura..I know this is off the subject but WHAT is the name of your favorite Chinese Restaurant on 47th St? We try to find a good one each time we go!

And, to keep it on the subject..the planning for the ports is what we thoroughly enjoy..we are already planning all our ports for next May 12 Athens to Barcelona on the Nautica.

Could be interesting in the Caribbean though.

Sherry

Mura..I know this is off the subject but WHAT is the name of your favorite Chinese Restaurant on 47th St? We try to find a good one each time we go!

Sherry

Sherry,

Greetings from Rome. The name is Wu Liang Ye. Spelling not guaranteed. It's upstairs on the second floor, south side of the street, about half way between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.

Their hospitality is wanting but the food is great.

Driving around Rome today and lost count of all the Asian restaurants we saw, mostly Chinese.

Mura

Archived