Wheelchairs

Pokeynose

I have a question about renting a wheelchair on a cruise. I can't walk far with my walker so I was wondering if I could rent a wheelchair on board. I just got some bad news, to me that is, that I have several factures in my back. I know others have had this too but it has scared me. I also have other medical problems along with this one. I am still under going more tests.

We cruise next April, hopefully, maybe things will be better. My surgeon said the fractures should heal on their own as long as I follow his instructions. Surgery on the other problems is the last resort. Could I ask for some prayrs? Thank you very much.:)

I have a question about renting a wheelchair on a cruise. I can't walk far with my walker so I was wondering if I could rent a wheelchair on board. I just got some bad news, to me that is, that I have several factures in my back. I know others have had this too but it has scared me. I also have other medical problems along with this one. I am still under going more tests.

We cruise next April, hopefully, maybe things will be better. My surgeon said the fractures should heal on their own as long as I follow his instructions. Surgery on the other problems is the last resort. Could I ask for some prayrs? Thank you very much.:)

I am so sorry to hear that you need a wheelchair and why:(

Here is the HAL Handicapped info, along with who nd how to contact for renting wheelchairs and other medical equipment: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/HAL_HC-Info.html

Joanie

Sorry to hear about your health problems. Prayers for you and hope that all will be better by next spring.

Definitely rent a wheel chair before your cruise.

The ships only have a couple that you can rent -- I know as I was in a situation about 3 1/2 years ago when we needed to rent me a wheel chair for the last few days of a cruise.

Lots of prayers coming your way.

If you get one of the motorized scooters (okay, not the right words, but you know what I mean), the dining room crew will love you, as they like to drive them around.

:eek:Nancy, now that's a laugh. But that's an idea. I'm even afraid to drive the ones in the grocery store. Thanks.

What a generous person you are Pokeynose! Our thoughts and prayers are with you. if you have always been active and follow your doctors' advice I just feel in my bones (and pray) that everything will work out for you.

I hope you have a great recovery. But don't hesitate to rent a wheelchair if you need it, or a scooter. My father rented them for years. They are rented by independent firms, but will be in your cabin when you arrive, and you just leave it there when you leave.

The scooter advantage is that you have more freedom, as you are not dependent on someone to push it. They are easy to use and in about 5 minutes you will be an expert at it. You just have to be careful in crowded areas, but there will be several others in scooters on any cruise so you won't be alone.

Sorry to hear of your back fracture. My mom had several fractures in her spine and it took about three months to heal, so maybe you will be doing great by the time your cruise rolls around. You still might need a wheel chair occasionally because you will tire easily. Our prayers are with you.

Sorry to hear of your back fracture. My mom had several fractures in her spine and it took about three months to heal, so maybe you will be doing great by the time your cruise rolls around. You still might need a wheel chair occasionally because you will tire easily. Our prayers are with you.

Thank you Honeybearhollow, your post gives me hope. I guess this means no more lawnmowing, snowblowing, etc.

;)

You have my best wishes for a successful healing.

But to your question: Most of the cruise lines no longer have wheelchairs available on board, except in an emergency. (They'll help you get on/off the ship, and should you become injured while on the cruise, they'll have a chair you can use).

Someone already gave you a link to the special needs department of the cruise line (and every line has a similar department). They'll be able to tell you where you can go to rent a chair. Note, though, that if you NEED to use a wheelchair or scooter on board, you'll need to have a handicap-accessible cabin! The doors and space inside a regular cabin are much too small to accommodate a wheelchair, and it is a safety hazard to leave them in the already-narrow hallways.

I'd suggest that you call the cruise line right away and book a handicap accessible cabin, so that you'll know that if you do need to rent the chair you'll be accommodated.

My prayers for a speedy recovery. Hoping you'll be able to cruise in the spring.

As far as the scooters go, the dining room crew are fascinated with them and always want to drive them. I tend to park my travel scoot in the corner of the dining room so they don't have to drive it. Check out travelscoot.com.

Archived