Do you think Azamara will expanded their fleet?

CruiseAdict218

The thread is about an IPO and speculation about the Nav. I have seen it mentioned on the Regent board in the last six months - usually in digressions.

There is no certainty just speculation.

Oh okay, and I knew she hadnt been sold yet but she would also make an interesting addition to the fleet

Just got off the Century. We so enjoyed it some years back and were so disappointed in the condition of the ship. And in the (upstairs lounge) there were so many leaks' date=' there were beach towels everywhere on the cushions under the windows. The carpeting is awful. They were replacing pieces of it (in piecemeal patches) in many places. Everything looked very worn. It needs complete refurbishing should it live up to the Azamara standards. We had to spend our nights in another cabin due to the clanging outside our cabin window. They said it was a pipe. Management was kind to us, but still--a pain. The engine had problems-they had to fix it in port. Made for a few bumpier nights. Maybe that's why they haven't refurbished the ship yet. Maybe they are just holding it together. Until it is dry docked or refurbished...not going back to Century. Sorry, I love my Celebrity AND esp love my Azamara.[/quote']

Hi VMcG'

Sorry to hear about your Century experience. We have not sailed on her in a few years, and was surprised to hear your comments - especially since I've read several recent posts on the Celebrity forum, stating that Century was in excellent condition. Kind of odd, but I certainly believe you.

Even if by some odd chance Century joined Azamara (or any other Cruise line), I'm confident a Drydock would be performed, and the ship would be restored to the beauty we've known over the years.

Thanks for sharing with us !

Hi VMcG'

Sorry to hear about your Century experience. We have not sailed on her in a few years, and was surprised to hear your comments - especially since I've read several recent posts on the Celebrity forum, stating that Century was in excellent condition. Kind of odd, but I certainly believe you.

Even if by some odd chance Century joined Azamara (or any other Cruise line), I'm confident a Drydock would be performed, and the ship would be restored to the beauty we've known over the years.

I wonder what will happen to the Century, I highly dout she will go to TUI since they just ordered a new ship at 97,000 GT with the option of a second one if approved. If she would get the chance to go to Azamara they should take out some staterooms to lower her capacity.

Just some examples of luxury ships close to her size:

Marina - 66,000GT - 1,252 passenger capacity

Crystal Serenity - 68,870GT - 1,070 passenger capacity

Century - 71,545GT - 1,808 passenger capacity

For what it is worth, on our recent Quest cruise I was told by a senior officer that it was probable (but not certain) that Azamara would be commissioning a new ship of the same size as Quest and Journey. However, the capacity would be about 450 passengers - allowing for larger cabins and bathrooms.

I wa also told this by a senior officer on board Quest: a new build of 410.... But this was dismissed by the experts on these boards. Let's wait and see...

Hi VMcG'

I am surprised too. We were on her last year for a mini 4 night cruise and everything was great compared to 2008 when she needed work and was getting new carpet on the cruise after ours. Last year we were impressed with the food and condition on this mass market line.

Hi VMcG'

I appreciate that you believe me. I do not post such criticism lightly. This was my first. We were so excited to be on Century bec we think Celebrity is a superior line to....others. We were the cruise leaving Alaska just before she went to Hawaii. maybe she was weary. I am not imagining the leaks and the mildewy smell on the carpet in the overlook bar (Viking Crown?). And it was a bit of a drag changing staterooms from deck 3 aft to deck 9 fore every night bec of the noisy steam pipes (really loud). Customer relations verified it & was really good about accommodating us on a full ship. The Capt was excellent in that he took us to Tracy Arm when Hubbard was too dangerous. I didn't mention the pipe or the dry-cleaning disaster in my customer survey bec such things were taken care of. I did suggest better coffee, etc.

I continue to love Celebrity, but this one needs a serious "freshen-up". We still had a great time.

When I was on the Pacific Princess (R ship) I was speaking with Captain Lupo chatting about ships and upkeep.

and he said a ship the size of R ship needs just 3 weeks of so-so upkeep before passengers will start commenting that a ship looks shabby.

and even less time when it comes to maintenance we dont see but that is seen by crew.

that's why you will always see constant cleaning, (besides the health reasons) especially if you are awake and wandering the ship between 11pm to 6am.

Even though nothing has been confirmed, just wondering what some people think, they said that expanding is in the cards and we should hear something by January/February 2012. They said either a newly build or an older existing ship. Say if there is no room to order a ship I wonder if they can find an older ship? Even though it probably wont happen my opinion would be the Zenith :D but also the Empress could fit in as well.

Hello CruiseAdict218 and Others –

I shared this very interesting Cruise Critic conversation and speculation thread about Azamara’s future plans for fleet expansion with Larry Pimentel, Azamara Club Cruises’ President and CEO.

He commented as follows: “First let me say that I didn’t join this cruise line with the intention of it remaining with a two ship fleet. Having stated that let me add: Azamara Club Cruises is a very young operation. It had a soft opening in 2007 as Azamara Cruises. I entered the picture as President and CEO in July of 2009 and refocused our efforts. In 2010 we re-branded as Azamara Club Cruises and upgraded the product significantly. So, although we are most pleased with our progress to date and are receiving strong accolades from senior management of our parent company, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., we are not in a position to make any announcement about additional tonnage either new build or repurposed. To repeat: I can tell you however, that it was never my intention to remain the head of a two-ship operation. All of us at Azamara Club Cruises are striving toward achieving such striking success that additional vessels will be possible. And I am confident that our senior management and shareholders will support us in that goal at the right time.”

Let me add - one of my duties as CBO is “rumor control.” I’ve found on most cruise vacations that the onboard atmosphere is usually one of friendliness with guests and staff sharing with one another comments and opinions that they might have heard. I suspect that some of the very positive comments expressed during the cruise might have triggered speculation that maybe Azamara will add a new vessel sometime in the future. As you have just read, there are no immediate plans to do so.

In the future, we believe that growth for our brand is in order should we continue to achieve successes in profitability by increasing our customer base and guest satisfaction in such a challenging worldwide market. So time will tell.

We need your help, along with other Azamara believers, in building Azamara awareness with your friends and family. It’s all about “supply and demand!”

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I know that Azamara is one of cruising best secrets but that secret is starting to get out..On our upcoming cruise more then 75% of our meet and mingle group is newbie like ourselves and there are 4 of us going.

I all ready saw a cruise in 2013 for Spain I am looking at. If Azamara keeps their position as a ultra premium or whatever they are calling it and keep their pricing which I find to be affordable for this type of cruise line I believe they will continue to grow and hopefully expand whenever the time is right..

Thank you Bill for sharing your comments that is one of the many things I am enjoying about Azamara even the cruise critic site you see the involvement of you and Andy. It says so much about Azamara and their relationship with its customers.

Regent and Azamara are owned by the same company (Prestige Cruise Holdings). That they would sell a ship to a direct competitor is as likely

as the proverbial snowball's survival...

I thought it was Regent and Oceania that were owned by Prestige Cruise Holdings? Surely Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean?

Or is someone about to tell me something different? :confused:

I thought it was Regent and Oceania that were owned by Prestige Cruise Holdings? Surely Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean?

Or is someone about to tell me something different? :confused:

Hi Lottie,

The person who posted previously was incorrect. Azamara is owned by Royal Caribbean.

We were told that Azamara is expanding, and actually looking at a smaller ship.

To Host Andy, I am not sure if this has already been posted, but we were told that Century is being sold (I believe to a German Company).

I wa also told this by a senior officer on board Quest: a new build of 410.... But this was dismissed by the experts on these boards. Let's wait and see...

We just got off Quest and were also told a ship in the 400 passenger range, but "new build" was not mentioned. I am sure it would be more economical to purchase a ship that is already built.

We were told that Azamara is expanding, and actually looking at a smaller ship.

To Host Andy, I am not sure if this has already been posted, but we were told that Century is being sold (I believe to a German Company).

Hi Jade,

Thanks for the update. The German company might be TUI, which is partially owned by Royal Caribbean. It would make sense if Century moved there, as Mercury & Galaxy are at TUI now. The reason I had second thoughts about Century going to TUI, was due to their recent announcement of 2 newbuilds. I suppose they can have 2 newbuilds and Century, though it's a lofty expansion plan.

At any rate, I expect Century to leave Celebrity's fleet. To me, the question is not if, but when... and where will she find a home ? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

With the world economic tsunami still spreading, and likely no true recovery for the next decade, it will simply be imprudent for ANY cruise line to expand by building new ships. Those who over-expand will pay dearly for their folly. As shown again and again through history, over-expansionism is a main cause of corporate demise. Rearranging existing ships within related fleets will, however, be a different matter, and may be appropriate in improving efficiency and synergy.

Archived