Budget snorkeling?

6Health7

I am confused because friends have told me not to book in advance but I want to make sure that we have something to do in Cozumel.

I am thinking about the Money bar - but we have 5 kids 9-13. will the rocks be ok? Can you rent snorkel equipment there? Do they get crowded?

Cozumel Shore Snorkeling & Beach Club offers a great deal - but I am not sure if that is actually the name of the resort?? it is in the Chakanaab park and is apparently $28 for snorkeling, full bar, and marine park fees.

Haven't found any reviews on that one?

any other suggestions? want beach/snorkeling/bar and food. water toys for the kids would be a plus.

Go to "The Money Bar". It is free to get in and has excellent snorkeling. They do want you to purchase some food or drink which are all reasonable.

You can rent the snorkel gear if you need to. For me, I prefer to take my own. It is easy to get to via Taxi. Was there in May and recommended it to other couples. Everyone, on our ship, that went there had a wonderful time.

http://www.moneybarbeachclub.com/

Your going to have to compromise somewhere. I too think Money Bar is your best bet, however they don't have a beach nor water toys. They do have chairs to layout in the sand though. The steps leading down to the water shouldn't be hard for your kids to navigate.

Most places that do have beaches/water toys don't have good snorkeling.

I am confused because friends have told me not to book in advance but I want to make sure that we have something to do in Cozumel.

I am thinking about the Money bar - but we have 5 kids 9-13. will the rocks be ok? Can you rent snorkel equipment there? Do they get crowded?

Cozumel Shore Snorkeling & Beach Club offers a great deal - but I am not sure if that is actually the name of the resort?? it is in the Chakanaab park and is apparently $28 for snorkeling, full bar, and marine park fees.

any other suggestions? want beach/snorkeling/bar and food. water toys for the kids would be a plus.

The Money Bar is great for snorkeling and we were just there last month. However, it isn't the best place for kids to just play in the water or on a beach. If you aren't put off by the cost Chankanaab might be a better bet for you. I haven't been there, but from what I have read they will have more options and decent snorkeling. I don't think you can make reservations at Money Bar and I don't know about Chankanaab, but doubt it would be necessary. Most just catch a cab (or rent a car) and go there. Here's a web site: http://www.cozumelparks.com/ . You should find plenty of reviews here (if you spell it correctly ;) ). You certainly can do Chankanaab without the resort, but if that price truly includes the bar it really is an awesome deal. If you're not sure of the name, how did you find out about it?

The information on this site appears to be dated, but it still could be very helpful in making a decision: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCruiseBeachClubs.htm

I presume you are seeing this on the Island Marketing website? I think that it is describing Playa Uvas but, for me at least, the Playa Uvas links seem to be broken at the moment so I can't see any of their current information. If it is on the Island Marketing site you should be able to confirm via the live chat which I have found very useful previously. Playa Uvas used to be discussed regurlarly on here and you should be able to search old threads but I have not seen much recently.

Depending on how serious you want the snorkeling to be another possibility, which has been discussed on here recently, would be a day pass to Park Royal which you could walk to from International and Carnival piers.

We're looking at Money Beach for our Cozumel snorkeling trip - my GF prefers to snorkel from the beach.

I've seen the pictures on their website but can anyone tell me how the entry into the water is?

The only comparison we have is on our Bahama cruise where we snorkeled from the beach at Deadman's Reef - sandy and shallow (~6ft) until we hit the reef about a quarter mile from the beach. GF enjoyed that as she hates snorkeling off of a boat......

TIA

We snorkeled on the right side of the facility, there was 3 concrete steps into the water. Once off the last step you will be in 3-4 feet of water. It gets deeper the farther out you go, I would say we stayed in about 8-10 ft of water and saw many fish.

Found some pics, there are 2 sets of steps and we used the ones with a railing. http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attraction_Review-g150809-d296143-Reviews-The_Money_Bar-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

So is money bar better than Park Royal? I've been following this thread and am too interested in taking my family to a good shore entry snorkel destination with food, drinks, and palapas available. We have our own snorkel gear.....thanks and sorry to semi hijack.

Did the Money Bar snorkling in Sept. IMO, the snorkling was good, not great (I'm a West Bay, Roatan fan....no comparison). 2 things to be aware of......Very slippery going down the steps to the water. While we we there, a young lady slipped and broke her toe. Also, there is a strong current right to left. I'm a pretty strong swimmer, but I had to fight it the whole time. Ended up exiting the water at the pier to the left.

They have a nice shady area to enjoy ice cold Cerveza and really tasty nachos. Overall, nice relaxing cheap day.

Hmmmm....good to know about the rough entry and current at moneybar. One person in our party won't be a strong swimmer due to using a cane for a bum knee. so Park Royal may be better from what i've read. Hopefully the reef and fish will be decent!

FYI

Currents change hourly in Cozumel. Just because there was a strong current at the Money Bar on that day, doesn't mean there will be one the next. Conversely if you read were currents are calm, doesn't mean they will still be calm the next day or even later on in the same day.

Whenever I dive/snorkel, the dive master always checks the current before we jump in, they never know what there going to be like at any given spot until they check. ;)

Mr. Sanchos and Paradise Beach seem to be the water toy spots ($12 to use the toys). Is there any snorkeling at either place?

We snorkeled at the Money Bar last trip. It was good but not great. Something me stung me, not sure what.

Sportmom - Doesn't really matter when, I don't know how early they open. If I was guessing I would say 10am. Check their website... :D

nw2this - Snorkeling at one of the beaches is going to be worse than Money Bar. I've read that Mr Sanchos has a snorkeling excursion for extra money though. They leave straight from the beach there. If you want better snorkeling than the Money Bar you going to have to get on a boat.

Have you been to this area before? Curious, as we are trying to decide between this area, Dzul Ha and one of the beaches on the caribbean side. When are you going?

We are sailing Carnival Imagination on the 21st.

It looks very rocky. Is it? Hard to get in an out of? Also heard on this side of the island the visibility is poor......what is your experience? Just can't decide whether to stay on this side of the island or go to the other.....

Another choice is Corona Beach Club, just past Chankanaab. We snorkeled there last year. Just a small place, not well known, but good snorkeling (not as good as Roatan, but good for Cozumel). They have palapas, restrooms, and rent snorkel gear. There are sand bags in the water for easier entry. They will mind your gear while you are in the water, no charge, and they just expect you to buy some food and/or drinks.

Another site to shore snorkel on your own is a small beach park just across the street from Papa Hoggs Scuba Emporium, at Villa Blanca Reef.

Archived