Pancakes at Breakfast......

sail7seas

Being from New England, home of Vermont maple syrup, I thought that was all people put on pancakes. :D Actually, I think I've 'heard of' people using blueberry/raspberry syrups though I've never actually seen it.

Do people use honey on pancakes? Seriously, I really don't know?

I know some Michiganders who I've seen put granulated sugar on their pancakes. That looked really bad. Can't imagine eating gritty pancakes. So I'll bet somewhere someone had honey on their pancakes this morning.

Down South we use a lot of cane syrup. Now I freely admit some of this stuff can be bad, but if you get a good one it's really delicious. I realize that a lot of people from up North, including my DIL, don't like it. She enjoys agitating me and saying it should only be used to get a horse to take a bit into its mouth. I can't even get her to try it. And on top of that I can't get her to try another southern delicacy and eat just one grit, either. These are two friendly battles that I'm resigned to losing.

The whole point I'm making is that a ship has pax from all over with distinctly different regional tastes, so it might be good to have more than one type of syrup available.

This thread is driving me crazy! I'm now so craving the HAL waffles, French toast, and even pancakes, not to mention the blueberry muffins and chocolate croissants! My mouth is watering for a wonderful HAL breakfast. Only 81 more days till I can have breakfast on a dam ship. We board 80 days from today, but who's counting?

This thread is driving me crazy! I'm now so craving the HAL waffles, French toast, and even pancakes,

Tell me about it! Last night I made French Toast for dinner. Although I really should make a decent meal tonight, the thought of an eggwhite omelet is enticing. :eek:

Thank GOD I'll be boarding the Noordam one week from today!!!!

As much asI enjoy the social "occasion" that is dinner aboard ship, my favorite meal of the day really is breakfast. If I have a nice breakfast I can forego lunch and enjoy my day without having to think about food until dinner time.

I love HAL's All American Breakfast served in the MDR. It's a nice, quiet, relaxed way of starting my day. I'll go with my iPod or a book and I'll take a table by myself in an corner and order my eggs over-hard, with hash browns, bacon, english muffin, with OJ and Coffee. Yum yum! I also enjoy their Belgian waffles; and, sorry Ruth, but I like any kind of syrup ... real maple is superb, but even good ol' Aunt Jemima Log Cabin Syrup is yummy to me given how RARELY I ever eat Waffles or Pancakes with syrup.

And, yes, I do enjoy the Eggs Benedict at least once a cruise. Oh, it's good!

Noordam, here I come!

Getting hungry just reading this! No one has mentioned my favorite HAL breakfast food - muesli. Sounds gross, but is so good. Usually I just have shredded wheat (which DH hates - calls them "mop strings") with apricots. For a splurge, I have an everything omelet - love goat cheese -could eat it on cardboard!

Best pancakes ever were the buckwheat cakes at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, W. Va. - yum.

I say life is short - eat a pancake and walk around the deck a few times - you'll be fine.

I know some Michiganders who I've seen put granulated sugar on their pancakes. That looked really bad. Can't imagine eating gritty pancakes. So I'll bet somewhere someone had honey on their pancakes this morning.

Down South we use a lot of cane syrup. Now I freely admit some of this stuff can be bad, but if you get a good one it's really delicious. I realize that a lot of people from up North, including my DIL, don't like it. She enjoys agitating me and saying it should only be used to get a horse to take a bit into its mouth. I can't even get her to try it. And on top of that I can't get her to try another southern delicacy and eat just one grit, either. These are two friendly battles that I'm resigned to losing.

The whole point I'm making is that a ship has pax from all over with distinctly different regional tastes, so it might be good to have more than one type of syrup available.

Former Michigander here - butter and sugar on a pancake is for the ones left behind after breakfast. Spread with butter, sprinkle with sugar, roll up the pancake and you've got after breakfast finger food. :) Now I need to make pancakes tomorrow.

Thank GOD I'll be boarding the Noordam one week from today!!!!

As much asI enjoy the social "occasion" that is dinner aboard ship, my favorite meal of the day really is breakfast. If I have a nice breakfast I can forego lunch and enjoy my day without having to think about food until dinner time.

I love HAL's All American Breakfast served in the MDR. It's a nice, quiet, relaxed way of starting my day. I'll go with my iPod or a book and I'll take a table by myself in an corner and order my eggs over-hard, with hash browns, bacon, english muffin, with OJ and Coffee. Yum yum! I also enjoy their Belgian waffles; and, sorry Ruth, but I like any kind of syrup ... real maple is superb, but even good ol' Aunt Jemima Log Cabin Syrup is yummy to me given how RARELY I ever eat Waffles or Pancakes with syrup.

And, yes, I do enjoy the Eggs Benedict at least once a cruise. Oh, it's good!

Noordam, here I come!

Hi RevNeal -

If you are the adventurous type - and I have a feeling you are :) - try the Japanese breakfast - I think that is what they call it. It was really interesting...it came with soup!! Happy Sails - wish we were going on the beautiful MS Noordam - miss her!!

Have a great time!

I grew up putting granulated sugar and butter on my Swedish pancakes that my Swedish grandmother would make for us. When I order them at a Pancake House they come with lingonberry preserves.

Hi RevNeal -

If you are the adventurous type - and I have a feeling you are :) - try the Japanese breakfast - I think that is what they call it. It was really interesting...it came with soup!! Happy Sails - wish we were going on the beautiful MS Noordam - miss her!!

Have a great time!

The Japanese Breakfast? I love Japanese food. What else is on this particular Breakfast beside soup (I assume it's Miso)? Plankton loaf, kelp buds, and sea berries? For dinner, yeah. But for breakfast ... well, I'm the "Full English Breakfast" kind of guy. :D That's my "comfort food." :)

Thanks for the suggestion, however! Who knows? I may get tired of my usual fare and give it a try! :D

Best breakfast that I enjoy:

kippers (herring), two sunnyside up eggs, (cooked runny) home fries, fried mushrooms, fried tomato, rye toast and a pot of English breakfast tea (or Earl Grey)

Ordered kippers an HAL's Noordam, and was served capers!!! Slight language barrier.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

From the newer breakfast menu which appeared late summer/ early fall in 2010:

Japanese Breakfast - hot miso soup, steamed white rice, tamagoyaki and boiled salmon served with a cup of hot green tea.

Hmmmm ... to me that sounds like lunch or a light dinner. Still, sounds interesting!

I don't remember seeing that on the Prinsendam last year ... but it might have been there. I don't look closely at the breakfast menu in the MDR because I usually "know what I want before I even sit down!" :D

I may try it some morning ... after having had a few breakfasts of my "comfort food."

Best breakfast that I enjoy:

kippers (herring), two sunnyside up eggs, (cooked runny) home fries, fried mushrooms, fried tomato, rye toast and a pot of English breakfast tea (or Earl Grey)

Ordered kippers an HAL's Noordam, and was served capers!!! Slight language barrier.

LOL!

This is a fabulous thread! So much more appealing than an idiotic dress code thread. And, even better ... there are no calories to be gained by just reading it!!!! :D

Originally Posted by PalmBeachMom viewpost.gif

I am going to try to be delicate here: pancakes and syrup are exactly what is needed if a traveler happens to have a little personal plumbing problem, like a stoppage........ if you get my drift!

And here I thought pancakes would cause the problem!

Or maybe it was the coffee that went with pancakes and syrup. :D

From the newer breakfast menu which appeared late summer/ early fall in 2010:

Japanese Breakfast - hot miso soup, steamed white rice, tamagoyaki and boiled salmon served with a cup of hot green tea.

Hi KK and RevNeal -

That's correct KK and the tamagoyaki was some sort of (egg) omelette - but I requested egg substitute it was good and as I further recall the salmon was great!!

And yes, RevNeal - it was kind of like a brunch dish!! So fun!!

Have a great time - I am officially the green eyed monster - so jealous!!

Happy Sails!!

I love the egg white omelete with sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach and once in a while will have a bit of goat cheese on it. Delicious.

Not being as slim as I used to be and sailing as often as we do, the treats really have to be wonderful or I resent the waste of calories and fat.

Thought I'd do some 'consensus' research prior to our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise. :D I know I am going to have a few treats and I want them to be outstanding. ;)

I only eat egg whites in an omelete or scrambled. I would love to have a pancake or two but being diabetic and meds adding the weight on I have never had them on our cruises. But.....on our next cruise I giving up the egg whites for one time. Treat yourself, one time won't hurt.:)

There are so many foods I would love to have on the cruise but I know the conceqences. I'm thinking life is too short and cheating once in a while...well you know what I mean. Thanks for all your help here on CC.

Hmmmm ... to me that sounds like lunch or a light dinner. Still, sounds interesting!

I don't remember seeing that on the Prinsendam last year ... but it might have been there. I don't look closely at the breakfast menu in the MDR because I usually "know what I want before I even sit down!" :D

I may try it some morning ... after having had a few breakfasts of my "comfort food."

When the new breakfast menu came out late 2010 -- DH treated himself to trying many of the new items when we were on the Ryndam.

I wws also thinking about how much sodium that has to be. :eek:

The breakfast menu they've been offering for at least the last year is truly amazing. SO much too choose from. Definitely something for everyone and one can 'mix and match'.

Archived