Weehawken Ferry ???'s

LynnB

DH and I are trying to figure out how to get to Manhattan for our NCL Jewel cruise on 2/14/12. We live in Central Jersey but DH would prefer not to drive to the port. We were thinking about taking the ferry over from Weehawken but were unsure if it ran in February.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks

Where do you live in "Central Jersey"? Are you close to the train? For a modest amount of $$$ you should be able to ride directly to Penn Station and take a cab to the port. The ferry is $8-9 each way plus a cab or free shuttle bus close to the port. If you have a car it's $10/day to park at Port Imperial.

Where do you live in "Central Jersey"? Are you close to the train? For a modest amount of $$$ you should be able to ride directly to Penn Station and take a cab to the port. The ferry is $8-9 each way plus a cab or free shuttle bus close to the port. If you have a car it's $10/day to park at Port Imperial.

138 east- thanks for the response- Your posts have helped me get to the ports in Baltimore and Port Liberty in the past!

I am in Jackson Twp in Ocean County. If we take the train we would probably drive to Metro Park and leave the car there. Looks like parking is $9 a day. I've never taken the train with luggage before- normally just day trips into the city. It will be me, dh, and our 4 year old ds. I feel silly asking but how is luggage handled? Do you have to carry it on or would it be stored somewhere.

The ferry looks like it would be pretty convenient and I think my ds would enjoy it.

Any opinion on whether the train or ferry might be a better choice?

Thanks!

I typically stay at the Sheraton Lincoln tower in Weehawkin and the ferry goes directly to the cruise terminal, we will be doing that in Nov for our jewel cruise. I like the ferry and it is a nice ride. Good luck

Just so no one who reads this is misinformed, the ferry from Lincoln Harbor does not go to the cruise terminal (nor do any of the other NY Waterway routes), it goes to the ferry terminal at W. 39th St., which is 9 blocks south of the southernmost cruise terminal berth, Pier 88.

Also, the ferry from Lincoln Harbor does not run on weekends. You have to go to the Port Imperial ferry terminal on weekends (I believe the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor hotel provides a shuttle bus to Port Imperial.)

You can also only leave your car at Port Imperial, not Lincoln Harbor.

The ferry sounds nice, but.... you're going on a cruise. Going from Metropark, all you have to do is get your luggage on the train. No real luggage racks on NJ transit, but it shouldn't be too bad after rush hour on a weekday morning. At Penn Station you should be able to get some assistance with your luggage.

I'd keep a flexible plan - If it's raining or snowing or super cold I'd definitely take the train.

You can also only leave your car at Port Imperial, not Lincoln Harbor.

The ferry sounds nice, but.... you're going on a cruise. Going from Metropark, all you have to do is get your luggage on the train. No real luggage racks on NJ transit, but it shouldn't be too bad after rush hour on a weekday morning. At Penn Station you should be able to get some assistance with your luggage.

I'd keep a flexible plan - If it's raining or snowing or super cold I'd definitely take the train.

at NYP the red caps basically are Amtrak employees and generally will NOT be available on the NJT platforms....nor do they like to go there..heck, there aren't that many of them anyway and even as a top tier member of the Amtrak rewards program entitled to use the Club Acela lounge, one time the red cap forgot me and i had to haul my crap to my SLEEPER alone!:mad:

(OTOH one time when we got off the Adirondack from Canada, the red cap took us around the place to the NJT platform....for a VERY large tip:rolleyes:

Point is...if you're taking a commuter railroad, be prepared to haul your own stuff...at least with Amtrak, you can get the conductor to help snag a red cap for you...

Just so no one who reads this is misinformed, the ferry from Lincoln Harbor does not go to the cruise terminal (nor do any of the other NY Waterway routes), it goes to the ferry terminal at W. 39th St., which is 9 blocks south of the southernmost cruise terminal berth, Pier 88.

Also, the ferry from Lincoln Harbor does not run on weekends. You have to go to the Port Imperial ferry terminal on weekends (I believe the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor hotel provides a shuttle bus to Port Imperial.)

NJhorseman thanks for the clarification on that!!! My mistake..

DH and I are trying to figure out how to get to Manhattan for our NCL Jewel cruise on 2/14/12. We live in Central Jersey but DH would prefer not to drive to the port. We were thinking about taking the ferry over from Weehawken but were unsure if it ran in February.

Thanks

The Port Imperial ferry (Weehawken) runs every day through all kinds of weather. I can only recall it being cancelled once in the past 15 years. We live only a few minutes from there and my daughter commutes to work on it. It is a very good option to get to the port. The train for me would be a pain. Just get in the car park at Port Imperial and get on the ferry it is pretty easy even if the weather is bad.

Thanks

My DH and I just stepped off the NCL Jewel about 20 hours ago. We drove to the Imperial Port and took the ferry over to the 39th St Terminal, then walked the 9 blocks (WITH 5 SUITECASES IN TOW) to Pier 88. We are both 50 years old and not in very good shape - even worse shape after the cruise. There are buses waiting, but it was such a nice day out - we decided to walk. There were about 12 other people that did the same thing we did.

They charged us $80 dollars to park from Saturday to Saturday - which is far better than the $210 and headache of all the traffic getting to the Pier.

The ferry is an 8 minute ride and takes you right past all the cruise ships.

If you have little cuties and luggage, I am not so sure NJ Transit is the way to go. Penn Station can be crowded with people moving very quickly. We have taken NJ transit for cruises many times, but with one suitcase only and not with cuties in tow. You won't have help with luggage for NJ Transit, and then you have to head out through the crowd to get to the line for the taxi.

For people who are near a train stop with a little luggage only, NJ Transit is a good way to go.

Our next cruise is longer w/o laundry facilities onboard, so we're not quite sure how we're getting into the City yet (drive and park at pier, hire a car, train--ugh, holiday time trains are packed before they get to our stop). We are thinking about the Weekawken ferry too (we did this our very first cruise and walked to the ship).

Happy sailing!

Archived