Cruise insurance

jgmpuma

I need a recommendation for cruise cancelation insurance. We will be driving to the port, so airline problems are not an issue. Our main concern would be someone getting sick and having to bail out of the cruise.

Your thoughts?

I just book all my insurance directly through the cruise lines. We also don't fly and I just feel more comfortable in an emergency situation booking directly. JMO but to me the price for what you need isn't big enough a difference for me to research them on my own :D

I just book all my insurance directly through the cruise lines. We also don't fly and I just feel more comfortable in an emergency situation booking directly. JMO but to me the price for what you need isn't big enough a difference for me to research them on my own :D

Insuremytrip.com does all the research for you...you are definitely overpaying for what easily could be underwhelming if you need a claim.

You are better off looking at a site like insure my trip to compare different policies with different coverages. The cruise line insurance does not offer what I believe is adequate medical coverage should something happen. And I believe you will get a credit back (not cash) if you cancel after final but I may be wrong on that (that may be cancel for any reason).

It takes only a few minutes and you can find something with good coverage for less money.

I also use insuremytrip dot com and it is always very reasonable. I also drive to port. You also have to consider things like delay of trip since it is entirely possible you will have car trouble or get in a car accident and miss the ship. Or medical in the event you are on the ship in the middle of the ocean and your appendix ruptures or something like that. Or you drop off 3 bags with the porters and 1 gets lost. All that stuff needs to be replaced and trip insurance covers that too. These are reasons why I get insurance thru insuremytrip.

Read the fine print on cancellations due to illness.

My bank, BB&T, has an insurance division that handles travel insurance and it beat the best I could find on any other websites-it is something fairly new for them, but BB&T is such a stable bank and the 6th largest independent insurance agents in the US, that I have total confidence in them.

buy the insurance on your own..not through the cruiseline..and do remember to start and end the policy before the cruise by a day or 2. You want coverage while you are driving on the day before the cruise.

A trip starts when you walk out your front door and regardless of the method used to get to the ship...driving or flying..the same day or a day or 2 earlier.....you need insurance from the date you leave your home. As anything is possible from that moment on that could delay or interrupt your trip.

buy the insurance on your own..not through the cruiseline..and do remember to start and end the policy before the cruise by a day or 2. You want coverage while you are driving on the day before the cruise.

A trip starts when you walk out your front door and regardless of the method used to get to the ship...driving or flying..the same day or a day or 2 earlier.....you need insurance from the date you leave your home. As anything is possible from that moment on that could delay or interrupt your trip.

That is excellent advise. Thank you. I usually insure my trip from cruise start date and I usually drive to port a day early just in case I haven't any trouble along the way so I have time to fix whatever is wrong.

If you've already purchased it through the cruise line, can you cancel it and book w/another company?

something to consider is the effect on the "pre-existing" clause.

If insurance was purchased at deposit date or with 14 days of deposit date and thru the cruiseline..I would play it safe and stick with it...especially if there is a preexisting issue....

if you can cancel the insurance and go elsewhere for a cheaper price you will be giving up the pre existing clause.....might not be a big issue...but I would think just about anything can be considered pre existing by the insurance company to avoid a payout...high blood pressure reading years before that the insurance company might try to link to something...

one just never knows.....and sometimes saving a few bucks is not worth it.....next time buy it on your own..don't risk it this time

something to consider is the effect on the "pre-existing" clause.

If insurance was purchased at deposit date or with 14 days of deposit date and thru the cruiseline..I would play it safe and stick with it...especially if there is a preexisting issue....

if you can cancel the insurance and go elsewhere for a cheaper price you will be giving up the pre existing clause.....might not be a big issue...but I would think just about anything can be considered pre existing by the insurance company to avoid a payout...high blood pressure reading years before that the insurance company might try to link to something...

one just never knows.....and sometimes saving a few bucks is not worth it.....next time buy it on your own..don't risk it this time

Good Point. Thanks! I honestly never knew it available to buy on your own! Gotta Love CC

Archived