Comfortable camera strap

I get what the camera folks say...about upside down cameras and such... and it's a very good concern... But, I find that I have the strap that takes the weight of the camera off my neck and over my shoulder, but I don't let my camera just hang for a very long time. If it is down, I might be checking out something cool in a shop, or getting my Sign and Sail card out (:)) - but even when walking - it isn't just hanging there bouncing around. It's kind of hard to explain! But..for me...it works! :)

Come back with a review if you get it ...and how it works for you!

Thanks- it makes more sense now, just wondering- if it screws into bottom, and just out taking casual shots, I usually set a camera on a flat item to act as a tripod- how to you work around the screw in feature and now won't sit flat, I am just trying to figure this all out as I am new to digital slr--last time I had an "expensive camera" it was 35mm and film! I really want a shoulder or cross body as used to carrying a bag that way for security,non slipage and hate the pull on neck feel.

I am just looking for camera straps myself, and happen to work with a person who has a professional photography business. They recommend "if" you are going to attach a strap to a camera using the tripod as attachment to make sure camera is somehow also secured to strap using its camera rings. They said cameras are not intended to have lens weight down, and while screw is strong, there is a risk of it coming apart -especially if swinging from a hip, and can also loosen internal seals of camera. So perhaps a caribeaner (spelling) and safety leash?

p.s. I also asked same question at a large camera shop and the staff also concurred they do not use socket type straps. I was so enamored with this strap too...

I am a bit skeptical about this. The screw seems like it would hold a lot. I would think the threaded insert in the bottom of the camera would pull out before the screw failed.

But with heavy lenses, I use the lens tripod mount anyway.

With a small DSLR like my Nikon D40 and light Tamron 18-250 zoom, I'm not too worried about the tripod female thread coming out the bottom of my camera. I was introduced to the BlackRapid strap by a 'fellow traveler' last summer in Vietnam.

But the dude in the video below sold me! What a hoot.

I am a bit skeptical about this. The screw seems like it would hold a lot. I would think the threaded insert in the bottom of the camera would pull out before the screw failed.

But with heavy lenses, I use the lens tripod mount anyway.

Before I bought my BlackRapid strap, I did a bit of research.

On most cameras, especially mid-range and pro models, the tripod mount is a threaded steel insert screwed into the alloy frame while the strap lugs are typically mounted with a post held in place with a fairly small screw thread (1.5-2mm typically). A stainless steel 2-56 screw (about 1.5mm minimum diameter) has a rated shear strength of well over 300 lbs, making the strap lug pretty strong. I remember reading an article on a test of the slot and post style lugs on an assortment of cameras that typically failed at about 125lbs. (each). I couldn't find any such test on the 1/4-20 tripod socket since it is designed to hold the camera flat against a tripod mount but having built VW racing engines I know that the amount of force needed to pull a threaded insert of that size out of magnesium alloy would likely break my shoulder before the strap or frame failed. Even so, BlackRapid suggests using the tripod collar mount on larger lenses keeping the maximum load on the connection to the camera frame far below any theoretical failure point.

The only caveat I would give is to be sure to torque the connector down into the tripos socket with more than finger strength. I use the carabiner connector as a wrench for this.

My only complaint so far is that it blocks the tripod socket when you need to use it. I put a ProStrap wrist strap in one of the strap lugs for safety when using a tripod but it still isn't ideal. This isn't a big issue to me since I don't use a tripod that much.

Dave

Before I bought my BlackRapid strap, I did a bit of research.

On most cameras, especially mid-range and pro models, the tripod mount is a threaded steel insert screwed into the alloy frame while the strap lugs are typically mounted with a post held in place with a fairly small screw thread (1.5-2mm typically). A stainless steel 2-56 screw (about 1.5mm minimum diameter) has a rated shear strength of well over 300 lbs, making the strap lug pretty strong. I remember reading an article on a test of the slot and post style lugs on an assortment of cameras that typically failed at about 125lbs. (each). I couldn't find any such test on the 1/4-20 tripod socket since it is designed to hold the camera flat against a tripod mount but having built VW racing engines I know that the amount of force needed to pull a threaded insert of that size out of magnesium alloy would likely break my shoulder before the strap or frame failed. Even so, BlackRapid suggests using the tripod collar mount on larger lenses keeping the maximum load on the connection to the camera frame far below any theoretical failure point.

The only caveat I would give is to be sure to torque the connector down into the tripos socket with more than finger strength. I use the carabiner connector as a wrench for this.

My only complaint so far is that it blocks the tripod socket when you need to use it. I put a ProStrap wrist strap in one of the strap lugs for safety when using a tripod but it still isn't ideal. This isn't a big issue to me since I don't use a tripod that much.

Dave

I have the Op-Tech strap, which doesn't block the tripod mount (uses a system that loops into the built in places where the OEM strap fits). While it frees up the tripod mount, the straps that connect the camera to the shoulder strap tend to get in the way when you bring the camera up to your face to shoot. Not hard to move them, but its a tradeoff. If you're going to use a monopod or tripod, you might want to consider this. I use mine with a Nikon D60, and my longest lens (until my wish list comes true) is a Tamron 18-270mm.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Op-Tech strap, which doesn't block the tripod mount (uses a system that loops into the built in places where the OEM strap fits). While it frees up the tripod mount, the straps that connect the camera to the shoulder strap tend to get in the way when you bring the camera up to your face to shoot. Not hard to move them, but its a tradeoff. If you're going to use a monopod or tripod, you might want to consider this. I use mine with a Nikon D60, and my longest lens (until my wish list comes true) is a Tamron 18-270mm.

thanks for info on "inconvenience" still searching. Another factor I am also considering is room a strap takes to place it easily into say a slingbag or a tamarack shoulder bag. decisions decisions. Funny how a simple camera gift dominos into so many items "I need" :rolleyes:

Archived