Comfortable camera strap

I'm getting a Canon SX40 HS for my birthday Thursday. Can anyone recommend a good, comfortable neck strap or harness for this type of camera? I'd rather have it out and accessible than have to keep putting in and taking it out of a bag every time I want to use it. TIA!;)

Kind of pricey, but the SunSniper Compact is a great way to carry your camera cross-body with instant access. It has a feature often overlooked with a cable embedded in the strap to prevent a cut-and-run by thieves. I use this with My Sony NEX and have a heavier Black Rapid version for my DSLR. I find them to be much more comfortable for a long day of shooting then even my old Kata neoprene neck strap.

My 2¢...

Dave

Kind of pricey, but the SunSniper Compact is a great way to carry your camera cross-body with instant access. It has a feature often overlooked with a cable embedded in the strap to prevent a cut-and-run by thieves. I use this with My Sony NEX and have a heavier Black Rapid version for my DSLR. I find them to be much more comfortable for a long day of shooting then even my old Kata neoprene neck strap.

My 2¢...

Dave

Thanks for the reply, the SunSniper does look like it would be comfortable. I was thinking initially that a neck strap would make getting to the camera easier, but would the camera get in the way or bounce too much?

If I'm going to do cross-body, what about the Cotton Carrier Carry-Lite? Do you think that would be overkill?

the Cotton Carrier Carry-Lite may be a bit much for the relatively small SX40. The design is good but I don't care for the amount of room it takes up in a bag when not in use.

I find the cross-body carry allows me to keep the camera from bouncing as I walk and since the camera moves on the strap, there's no shrugging and twisting to bring the camera into play. Using a standard neck-strap cross-body and trying to slide a sweaty strap across you neck repeatedly on a tour can leave marks!:D

Again...my 2¢

Dave

I really appreciate the help. I'll start out with the strap in the box and go from there, but it always helps to have advice from those that have "been there and done that" :D

I've always tried to anticipate my "worst case scenario" and prepare for it, so I usually end up overdoing it:rolleyes: Our next cruise isn't until December and I'll be able to get in some practice with it before then at my son's football games and maybe we'll take a trip to Butterfly World, so I can see how much neck fatigue I feel with it "dead weight".

I'm trying to prepare to do my own cruise review, so I'll need my camera at the ready all the time:D

I had neck issues with my last straps and this summer picked up a Black Rapid strap http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

I used this all over Italy with my Cruise last month and never once did it ever come lose and after the first day I was Very Comfortable with the way it hung across my shoulder and it was so nice that I could do other things with my hands and yet my camera was secure and ready to pick up and start shooting again! I got the ladies version and the pattern is very nice. Very little adjusting from the start. I also like that with just a quick twist I can swap from one of my two cameras depending on which one I was wanting to shoot with.

I had neck issues with my last straps and this summer picked up a Black Rapid strap http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-7/

I used this all over Italy with my Cruise last month and never once did it ever come lose and after the first day I was Very Comfortable with the way it hung across my shoulder and it was so nice that I could do other things with my hands and yet my camera was secure and ready to pick up and start shooting again! I got the ladies version and the pattern is very nice. Very little adjusting from the start. I also like that with just a quick twist I can swap from one of my two cameras depending on which one I was wanting to shoot with.

One more vote in favor of the Black Rapid. Also, if you like to have the camera hanging on one shoulder but worry that it will slide off the shoulder, the UP Strap (http://www.upstrap-pro.com/) sticks like glue to your shoulder.

DON

Thanks everybody! I lurk around dpreview some, but they seem to be a little snooty over there (or maybe it's just that they intimidate the crap out of me lol:rolleyes:)

I just found out that my camera isn't coming until Friday-the day after my birthday :(. What a bummer. I'm ready to play!:D

Op/Tech System Connectors - Utility Loop, Approx. 3" Long Each, Set of Two (about $6 a pair at Adorama or Amazon)

These little things have a loop on one end and a small ring on the other.

I have them on each of my slr bodies. I love them.

I want to carry my camera cross body (can't stand it hanging on my neck).

I couldn't find a strap that was long enough to suit me, these provide a bit of extra length plus a ring for a snap on a luggage strap with a wide shoulder pad (that was just lying around the house).

The snap is not too much a safety concern because I always carry the camera in the crook of my elbow which places the snaps in front of me.

I will never, ever, use a strap that comes with a camera.

A strap that screams the brand name IS a safety issue,

and

I will not advertise for any brand that does not pay me to do so.

Thanks everybody! I lurk around dpreview some, but they seem to be a little snooty over there (or maybe it's just that they intimidate the crap out of me lol:rolleyes:)

I just found out that my camera isn't coming until Friday-the day after my birthday :(. What a bummer. I'm ready to play!:D

Hi OPL, I spend way too much time on many a photo forum and know what you mean. I stumbled on a more civil one the other day. Check out www.uglyhedgehog.com sometime. It's not quite as large scale as dpreview and others but it's more laid back and less competitive. :cool:

This is a (brand whatever) COME AND GET IT!

I see your point, but I would think that just having the camera visible on a strap is enough incentive for a thief that really wants it. I doubt at that point brand would matter:( That's where I think the security straps with the cable inside would be at least a little beneficial.

Hi OPL, I spend way too much time on many a photo forum and know what you mean. I stumbled on a more civil one the other day. Check out www.uglyhedgehog.com sometime. It's not quite as large scale as dpreview and others but it's more laid back and less competitive. :cool:

After I wrote the comment I had to laugh because we can get reather snooty over here on CC too:rolleyes: I confess to being somewhat of a Carnival cheerleader (don't shoot-I'm unarmed:eek:) but at least I can advise people accordingly without sounding territorial. I like the link you gave me-a much less aggressive site!

I too recommend black rapid straps. I have the womens version which I used this spring when we did a whirlwind 8 day tour of 4 european cities. My camera was never off my shoulder and I had absolutely no discomfort. The camera was secure and ready whenever I wanted to shoot. Loved it!

I also know what you mean about dpreview. Too many people on there are snooty know it alls! People on cruise critic are much nicer!:D

Enjoy the new camera!

Beth

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting a Canon SX40 HS for my birthday Thursday. Can anyone recommend a good, comfortable neck strap or harness for this type of camera? I'd rather have it out and accessible than have to keep putting in and taking it out of a bag every time I want to use it. TIA!;)

You will need another strap. I have the SX20(same size as your 40) and the little cord canon gives you cuts your neck.

I bought a Quantaray strap with foam around the neck area and it works great. Picked it up at a local camera shop

• 2 weeks later...

I am just looking for camera straps myself, and happen to work with a person who has a professional photography business. They recommend "if" you are going to attach a strap to a camera using the tripod as attachment to make sure camera is somehow also secured to strap using its camera rings. They said cameras are not intended to have lens weight down, and while screw is strong, there is a risk of it coming apart -especially if swinging from a hip, and can also loosen internal seals of camera. So perhaps a caribeaner (spelling) and safety leash?

p.s. I also asked same question at a large camera shop and the staff also concurred they do not use socket type straps. I was so enamored with this strap too...

Thanks for link-- now I can spend way too much time on another topic -besides cruising :D

I get what the camera folks say...about upside down cameras and such... and it's a very good concern... But, I find that I have the strap that takes the weight of the camera off my neck and over my shoulder, but I don't let my camera just hang for a very long time. If it is down, I might be checking out something cool in a shop, or getting my Sign and Sail card out (:)) - but even when walking - it isn't just hanging there bouncing around. It's kind of hard to explain! But..for me...it works! :)

Come back with a review if you get it ...and how it works for you!

Archived