Would you pay more to eat in the MDR?

381 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay more to eat in the MDR?

• No
    • Yes $25 per week
    • Yes $30 per week
    • Yes $40 per week
    • Yes $50 or more

I think the question became rhetorical when it said the MDR and Lido would serve/offer the same menu items. I wonder what the answer would be if the choice were Lido buffet, or charge more in the MDR with restoration/improvement of menu items? I, for one, am increasingly disappointed each time I sail with CCL at the ever decreasing options and limited availability of past favorites. As my kids say, Just sayin....

If CCL offered a basic cruise which was buffet dining only and had a MDR add on which allowed you to eat in the MDR with an enforced dress code,would you pay more and how much more? (based on a 7 night cruise)

Assuming that the same foods including lobster and Prime were available in the buffets and there was a mandatory service charge (tips) despite which eating option you chose.

i wouldn't cruise if they charged to eat in the mdr.

I think the question became rhetorical when it said the MDR and Lido would serve/offer the same menu items. I wonder what the answer would be if the choice were Lido buffet, or charge more in the MDR with restoration/improvement of menu items? I, for one, am increasingly disappointed each time I sail with CCL at the ever decreasing options and limited availability of past favorites. As my kids say, Just sayin....

I started this because of another thread concerning people's attire on elegant night in the MDR.

One point that was mentioned was that they serve the lobster and prime rib on an elegant night and you must be forced to dress in order to get that same food which the non dresser has paid for as well.

So the premise of this poll was really not a way to charge you more but a way to guage if eating in a dining room with properly dressed people was worth more to someone who has issues with people's attire.

I stated with an "Enforced" dress code.And so far the bottom line is not what people are wearing but what it cost's.

I could have varied the poll a few ways.What if you chose the buffet option (same food as MDR) and no longer had to pay for a waiter or an assistant waiter at the $6.50 a day or so rate and were paying $1.50 a day for lido staff?

On NCL, I gladly pay the little extra for the pay venues.

Well with that clarification cruisecruisecruise, (or my misunderstanding of your purpose,) I've scheduled my 15th ccl cruise for December and since my first in 1994, have come to simply not care what other people wear. When and if I want to wear my tux with a bunch of other folks dressed similarly, I'll book again with HAL or the Celebrity suit crowd.

I am sorry but I just don’t get why some people get so worked up about what others are wearing! If in the MDR or in public land based restaurant for that matter if the other dinners are clean (clothes and body), dressed in anything other than a swimsuit, cut off shorts or wife beater, I could care less what they are wearing on their bodies! I do not go to the MDR to gawk at what others are wearing, I go to enjoy a meal. Everyone has their own ideas of what is considered dress up. This was the 1st year I didn’t wear a floor length formal, my daughter did. I chose a knee length cocktail dress. I saw ladies in the MDR on the elegant night in a variety of dress. Mostly Sunday type clothes. They all looked lovely. And I am sure they all felt that in their own way they were adhering to the "dress code". Some people are just not as formal as others. I guess my main question is how is someone dressed in the MDR affecting YOUR dining experience? If you went to Ruth Chris Steak house or to another fancy restaurant would your meal be disturbed if someone came in wearing something you didn’t agree with? If the establishment allows them to enter the dining room in what they are wearing, then to me, it’s none of my business and I do not let it affect my dining experience.

I started this because of another thread concerning people's attire on elegant night in the MDR.

One point that was mentioned was that they serve the lobster and prime rib on an elegant night and you must be forced to dress in order to get that same food which the non dresser has paid for as well.

So the premise of this poll was really not a way to charge you more but a way to guage if eating in a dining room with properly dressed people was worth more to someone who has issues with people's attire.

I stated with an "Enforced" dress code.And so far the bottom line is not what people are wearing but what it cost's.

I could have varied the poll a few ways.What if you chose the buffet option (same food as MDR) and no longer had to pay for a waiter or an assistant waiter at the $6.50 a day or so rate and were paying $1.50 a day for lido staff?

I understood what you were saying. I have read posts where people have stated that they would pay more for the MDR is the dress code was enforced. I could care less how they are dressed as long as they cover their bodies and they dont stink.

Oh good grief. Terrible idea. If dress is the issue, it isn't that hard to put on a pair of slacks and shirt/top that isn't a t-shirt. That's about all it takes anymore.

I like dressing up, though we rarely do 'true' formal anymore, more cocktail wear, but if an adult can't comply with the absolute minimum cruise lines are asking for now in the way of dress,(which isn't much) then use the buffet, but don't make me pay to use the MDR.

Who wants to fight crowds of people in a buffet if they had lobster and prime rib there anyway?

You are Kidding right. If I read your post correctly, which I have quoted, you are actually saying that Carnival would lower their daily tips? You must be living in LaLa Land. Carnival would never do this.IMHO

Absolutely not......why even give CCL this as an idea...unless you already work for Carnival...ugghhh! What a horrible idea and thought.....MDR is one of the daily highlights of cruising. We don't dine at Old Country Buffet now, why would we pay to dine at their equivalent on a cruise ????? NOT!!!

You are Kidding right. If I read your post correctly, which I have quoted, you are actually saying that Carnival would lower their daily tips? You must be living in LaLa Land. Carnival would never do this.IMHO

No that is not what I was trying to say.

If you choose the buffet only cruise,you would not have a waiter or asst.waiter. The $10 per day includes about $5.50 for wait staff and not eating in the MDR would eliminate that portion of the tip. I suggested an increase in the lido staff tip since they would be doing more.Possibly from a $1 per day to $2 per day for them.

Im paying now to eat in the mdr, why would I pay more to get the same thing?

Now if we were talking a lower starting point for fares that did not include the mdr, I could see folks getting on board with that...but not me, I like the mdr.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i seem to remember that the plans on the ncl class of "epic" ships didn't even have a mdr. they seemed to think they were at a place where they didn't need one.

turns out, ncl didn't need that class of ships (whatever they were called).

what the **** man??????? the MDR is included , the people that go to the buffet are not TRUE CRUISERS, they are white trash people that dont know how to sit down for a real meal.......please allow the dining room for the people that know how to have areal meal

I hope you are not thinking you represent 'classy'? What an embarrassment.:rolleyes:

Archived