Cruising in January

Forensicmom

I'm still looking at a 4-5 night cruise to take some of our children on. They've never cruised before and we want to take them someplace warm. We thought January would be good since there are a lot of really good deals and the kids are out of school a few of the days for exams, etc.

We're looking at the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and possibly Mexico. We really want to enjoy the beaches but we're concerned that it might be too chilly for that during January.

The only other time we can go is during the Easter break and the prices are more then doubled.

Is January worth it?

I am taking my family (including an 8 and 10 yr old) on a 5 night cruise the middle of January. The children will only miss 3 and 1/2 days of school since MLK's holiday and 1/2 day for teachers workshop fall in that week.

The prices are good- much better than during school vacations.

We are going on the Liberty of the Sea. I have heard that RCCL has a great kids program and there's lots for them to do--flowrider, rock climbing wall, ice skating etc. Also a beach day in Labadee on RCCL's private island.

As for the weather. I think it will be fine. I live year round in Florida and we do get some chilly days in January in the AM but the sun warms things up quickly. The islands are further south than Florida so good chances for great weather.

I think you are making a good choice.

The Bahamas might be cool....just depends on if there are any cold fronts visiting from Canada! The Bahamas and Florida have similar weather....and in years past, Florida has been blasted by some far-reaching cold fronts. The Bahamas is in the Atlantic.

Once you get into the Caribbean, it's warm all the time....our cold fronts don't affect them.

I would try to cruise from a Fl. port, tho....no sense in wasting a day of cruising getting to warmer climes....same with the return trip!

We have always cruised in January, and will be again in 2012. As previous posters said, Florida can be cool in the morning, as can the Bahamas, but we find the other islands perfectly fine.

Heck, if I'm not wearing my winter boots, down coat and mittens I'm a happy woman and so are the boys!

Have twice cruised in January - once from San Juan and once from Miami (Epic). We visited St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, Barbados, St. Lucia and Nassau.

Both times the islands were warm and beautiful. The least warm was Nassau but we still were able to lay by the pool.

Loved sailing in January! Darn education gets in the way ;)

We often cruise in January. As others have said, the Bahamas can be pretty cool for swimming, though that depends on the weather pattern and your tolerance for cooler water.

We took 7 grandkids on a 5 day on the Navigator of the Seas last January. The ports were Labadee (RCI's private island) and Jamaica. Both port days were beach days and were perfect for weather--85-90--sunny, warm water. The kids had a great time.

They enjoyed the ship a lot too, especially the ice skating. We stayed a couple of extra days in Ft. Lauderdale where it was around 70 and I thought it was too cool for swimming, but they did, both in the hotel pool and the ocean.

Once you get into the actual Caribbean, weather tends to be nice and warm.

We've cruised twice in January and will be going to our third one soon. Yes, the water at the Bahamas can be quite cool, but once we were in it and started moving then we were fine. I guess a safer bet might be taking one of those 4-5 nighters going to W Caribbean which should be warmer.

We're going MLK week, too, as the kids have 2 days off school already that week. We're going from Ft. Lauderdale to the eastern Caribbean. From what I've been reading, FLL might be cool, but most of the islands will be warm. It works for me to go at that time b/c I am not a fan of super hot, either, and we'll be coming from the northern US, so I am sure everything will feel warm to us!

Having sailed in February to Ensenada I would highly recommend not going there for their 3 day cruise. I wore a jacket jeans and a hoody the entire trip. Also from Canada here and never thought I would freeze on a cruise. I have gone to the Eastern Carribean in December and November and found it to be very warm. Hope that helps!

Worth it is in the eye of the beholder ;)

The reasons deals abound is the number of ships and the number of cabins is the same but its not vacation high season. Spring break as you noted will have packed boats with lots of kids. I've never sailed out of season but I expect there will be enough parents taking kids out of schools for a brief vaction. Comes down to value versus priorities I guess.

Remember its still "winter" so the tropics won't be summer hot, but again won't be winter either :D

I'm still looking at a 4-5 night cruise to take some of our children on. They've never cruised before and we want to take them someplace warm. We thought January would be good since there are a lot of really good deals and the kids are out of school a few of the days for exams, etc.

We're looking at the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and possibly Mexico. We really want to enjoy the beaches but we're concerned that it might be too chilly for that during January.

The only other time we can go is during the Easter break and the prices are more then doubled.

Is January worth it?

While we have hit a couple of days sailing in January when the highs were only in the 65-72 range, most of the time it is summery--80's and above. Our coolest sailing was once in the Western Caribbean, but it was still warm enough to swim and sun. It's definitely summery weather to me.

The Southern Caribbean ports will be the warmest, but after about 6 cruises in January, doing Eastern, Western and Southern routes, we've never had really cool weather. The Bahamas and the northern ports on Western coast cruises (Cabo, Ensenada) may be a little cooler and leaving port in Florida may be cooler, as well as the first day out from California or Galveston.

and one time it was beautiful (W Carribean) and the other it was COLD (NAssau and Key West). Everyone had long pants and jackets on as we were leaving Jacksonville. We almost went inside because it was so cold and windy, but we held out! It was the coldest day in Key West that they had seen in like 9 years-the highs were in the 50s! Nassau was a little warmer in the 60s. That said, we are going on a cruise to the Bahamas in Jan and taking our chances (leaving from Port Canaveral this time).

We have cruised every January since 2004. This past January we were on a 5 day Radiance of the Seas out of Tampa (was originally scheduled to be on Carnival Splendor out of Long Beach but got cancelled as everyone probably knows). We had a great time. The ship was great --- one of the best layouts I have seen with so many windows in the public areas (also most if not all of the elevators). My son (just turned 4 at the time) loved the kids pool and kids waterslide (they have a waterslide that is meant for kids, even though a few adults went on it as well). Given that time of the year, the kids pool and slide was never busy. The ports are in Mexico, Cozumel and Costa Maya, and they were warm (i would say mid 80s) - perfect weather for us. We are fortunate enough to have a cousin who leaves near the port, so we stayed with her for a few days before the cruise and actually saw the ship pull into port from her balcony. I do not believe the Radiance is there anymore; I think they replaced her with her sister ship, Jewel of the Seas. I believe they are one in the same (no big difference between the ships). I would highly recommend that ship for a 5 day cruise.

Having sailed in February to Ensenada I would highly recommend not going there for their 3 day cruise. I wore a jacket jeans and a hoody the entire trip. Also from Canada here and never thought I would freeze on a cruise. I have gone to the Eastern Carribean in December and November and found it to be very warm. Hope that helps!

That's because Ensenada is not too far south of San Diego. You have to go on a Mexican Riviera cruise to get warm weather during the winter, but wait til you get pretty far south.

Archived