Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

DH and I travel very light (one carry on roller bag and one personal item each) for every trip we take. We thought about not taking formal wear on our last cruise since we were in Aqua Class and planned to also eat in the specialty restaurants so we figured we would not need it. Even though we were going to be spending some time in Europe on our own after the cruise. and packing formal wear was a challege, we decided to bite the bullet and take the fomal wear. Thank goodness we did! We were invited to eat at the Captain's table the last formal night. We would have been in a real fix if we had not come prepared. We have decided we will continue to take formal wear on our cruises as long as there are formal nights in the MDR - black slacks and coat for DH and lightweight formal top and slacks for me.

And I bet the seapass cards will have a symbol on them much as they do now for non smoking... I suppose a symbol of a dress with a cross through it for those not required formal and no cross for those that must...just saying.....:)
However, they will not have the symbols on the seapass cards until sometime after the first of next year. In the meantime, passengers will be required to show their passports at the entrance to Blu.

Those presenting passports from British Commonwealth countries will now be admitted on formal nights in smart casual dress. All others are still required to dress formally.

From X's site, and I just cut and pasted the link. Seems pretty cut and dry to me, at least at 2:37pm Mountain time today. :p

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqSubjectName=Specialty+Dining&faqId=3377&pagename=faq_answers

Yes, but Blu is not a specialty restaurant...it is the MDR of those sailing in Aqua

Yes, but Blu is not a specialty restaurant...it is the MDR of those sailing in Aqua

Yes, I know (although I've heard suite guests can pay a minimal $ and eat there as well ... someone correct me if I'm wrong). I posted that because there are several questions about Blu's dress code in this thread.

That is the whole problem, Celebrity has on their website in many, many locations that Blu is a specialty restaurant. Combine that with the specialties being smart casual and those who just use the web site for reference believe it is smart casual. Many have then gone on their cruise not bringing formal clothes based upon Celebritys web site.

However, they will not have the symbols on the seapass cards until sometime after the first of next year. In the meantime, passengers will be required to show their passports at the entrance to Blu.

Those presenting passports from British Commonwealth countries will now be admitted on formal nights in smart casual dress. All others are still required to dress formally.

ROTFL - Thank you!:D

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with a Celebrity contact this afternoon. He reiterated everything stated in the past few posts, that BLU is Smart Casual "and above" all nights of your Cruise. Of course, if you wish to dress in formal attire, it will be welcomed at BLU.

Based on the previous posts, and my conversation, I'm fairly confident that for those who do not wish to dress formally, the Smart Casual rule applies. This is not the definitive word, but I am trying my best to provide information to our community. If I hear anything further, I will post on this thread.

I hope this is helpful !

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with a Celebrity contact this afternoon. He reiterated everything stated in the past few posts, that BLU is Smart Casual "and above" all nights of your Cruise. Of course, if you wish to dress in formal attire, it will be welcomed at BLU.

Based on the previous posts, and my conversation, I'm fairly confident that for those who do not wish to dress formally, the Smart Casual rule applies. This is not the definitive word, but I am trying my best to provide information to our community. If I hear anything further, I will post on this thread.

I hope this is helpful !

See my link above, it's now on Celebrity's website

Thanks, be interesting to see if they actually tell the employees on board...

I would suspect it will be on the US web site in the next few days....

Really makes you wonder how long they are going to keep the formal nights since now the only place formal is the dining room on formal nights....

Yes, but that link is to the UK website. As Don said, I suspect it will be on the US website shortly.

Just called 'X' and asked if Blu was considered specialty. When she said yes I then asked her if I was correct to assume that there was no formal night in Blu since all specialty restaurants were now smart casual and above. She said that was incorrect and dining dress codes were ship wide. I suggested she go to the 'X' website and look at dress codes under FAQ's and she was pretty surprised that I was telling her something that she did not know. Works for me---one less bag to pay for with our formal clothes and all that goes with them. I will however keep checking since they seem to change quite often

Well I for one think this is horrible terrible (to quote my 3 yo grandson). We LIKE to get dressed up on formal nights. So, since we signed on to AQ on our next cruise, should we go to the MDR on formal nights? Or will Blu have formal worthy food...lobster (yes, we even liked the risotto with the medley), upscale meat...or is formal night celebrated everywhere else on the ship but not even nodded to in Blu?

Just called 'X' and asked if Blu was considered specialty. When she said yes I then asked her if I was correct to assume that there was no formal night in Blu since all specialty restaurants were now smart casual and above. She said that was incorrect and dining dress codes were ship wide. I suggested she go to the 'X' website and look at dress codes under FAQ's and she was pretty surprised that I was telling her something that she did not know. Works for me---one less bag to pay for with our formal clothes and all that goes with them. I will however keep checking since they seem to change quite often

One thing that many of us regulars have found is that Celebrity's telephone customer service is very often inaccurate to say the least....Thank goodness once on the ship, things are totally different...

We really do not care if they change the rules or not as our attire will be what we planned all along - formal on formal nights and smart casual on other nights. One of things that is nice about a cruise for us is we can take our time to dress befitting the surroundings. Our jobs are very stressful and we find that X provides the perfect setting to relax and for us that includes dressing up for dinner.

Well I for one think this is horrible terrible (to quote my 3 yo grandson). We LIKE to get dressed up on formal nights. So, since we signed on to AQ on our next cruise, should we go to the MDR on formal nights? Or will Blu have formal worthy food...lobster (yes, we even liked the risotto with the medley), upscale meat...or is formal night celebrated everywhere else on the ship but not even nodded to in Blu?

Formal dress is only in the Main Dining Room, nowhere else on the ship....

I understand the menus on some of the ships have been changed so that they have Filet Mignon on first formal nights and they have lobster on second formal. I don't think you can get much better than that and you still have the option to dress formally.

for the record.....many of the more upscale cruise lines are resort casual all the time.... dressing up doesn't equal higher quality.... it just equals dressing up.... Celebrity is obviously going after a younger demographic...my guess is that they have many, many, many marketing surveys that has driven these changes - i, for one, welcome them...

Archived