Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

Oh joy. How lovely to see another thread that seems to be degenerating into that old debate which will no doubt feature such well-worn comments as... "I can't understand why today's slobs don't want to dress up in full morning suits for every meal like in the good old days..." and "I don't see why anyone should care whether I sit in the MDR on formal nights in my dressing gown..." :rolleyes:

While I do understand that more and more cruisers prefer the casual approach these days, I hope that when this change comes into effect, Celebrity will provide a concession to those like myself who actually do take pleasure in dressing formally and who feel that the enjoyment of a formal night is enhanced by being surrounded by others who are also formally attired.

We will be sailing on Solstice in AQ next April, and while I am definitely looking forward to dining in Blu, I was thinking that a part of me would miss the grandeur of the MDR. Given the change of policy, I may ask if we can go for the Celebrity Select dining option on one or more of the formal nights.

Oh joy. How lovely to see another thread that seems to be degenerating into that old debate which will no doubt feature such well-worn comments as... "I can't understand why today's slobs don't want to dress up in full morning suits for every meal like in the good old days..." and "I don't see why anyone should care whether I sit in the MDR on formal nights in my dressing gown..." :rolleyes:

While I do understand that more and more cruisers prefer the casual approach these days, I hope that when this change comes into effect, Celebrity will provide a concession to those like myself who actually do take pleasure in dressing formally and who feel that the enjoyment of a formal night is enhanced by being surrounded by others who are also formally attired.

We will be sailing on Solstice in AQ next April, and while I am definitely looking forward to dining in Blu, I was thinking that a part of me would miss the grandeur of the MDR. Given the change of policy, I may ask if we can go for the Celebrity Select dining option on one or more of the formal nights.

I look at it this way, at least now if someone asks what the dress code in Blu is, then the answer can be just "smart casual." After a few months nobody will be commenting just like very few people comment now about jeans.

Maybe someone in authority from Celebrity could post on CC the "official position" on the Blu dress code for formal nights. Why it only shows up on the UK web site and on the Carribbean itinerary on the US web site is beyond me. The reservation people are not aware of any changes, but that's not unexpected.

Just copied this from Celebrity's web site. ...

Evening Dress Codes

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Cruise Length

Smart Casual and Above:

Formal:

4-night

5-night

6-night

7-night

8-night

9-night

10 night

11-night

12-night

13-night

14-night

15-night

OK, now what??????? We'll still go with formal for two nights. Enjoy getting dressed up.

Phil

Just copied this from Celebrity's web site. ...

OK, now what??????? We'll still go with formal for two nights. Enjoy getting dressed up.

Phil

What you posted has no bearing on this topic. There are still formal nights, they just changed Blu's dress code to be the same as all the other Specialty Restaurants. Formal Nights still exist.

If you go on the main page of Celebrity's website, down at the very bottom of the page it lists a bunch of different things to click on. Click on the e-brochure link, then the Caribbean brochure, and on the second page it tells about dining, and proper attire. It very specifically makes a point of saying that Blu for AQ is now smart casual along with the other specialty restaurants, on formal night. And it does state that MDR is still formal attire on formal night.

This may be the only place on the "american Celebrity website", as compared to the UK website that others have mentioned, that does tell about the new dress code for Blu.

I had no idea that the specialty restaurants were smart casual on formal nights- woohoo- now we have more dinner options to choose from besides the buffet since we won't be packing formal wear for the Equinox next week!

Tony

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with a Celebrity contact this afternoon. He reiterated everything stated in the past few posts, that BLU is Smart Casual "and above" all nights of your Cruise. Of course, if you wish to dress in formal attire, it will be welcomed at BLU.

Based on the previous posts, and my conversation, I'm fairly confident that for those who do not wish to dress formally, the Smart Casual rule applies. This is not the definitive word, but I am trying my best to provide information to our community. If I hear anything further, I will post on this thread.

I hope this is helpful !

Andy-- Has there been any "official" announcement from Celebrity on the change. I know it's on the UK web site, not sure why it isn't shown on the US web site.

We leave in 3 weeks and if I don't have to go formal it will save bringing a suit along.

Andy-- Has there been any "official" announcement from Celebrity on the change. I know it's on the UK web site, not sure why it isn't shown on the US web site.

We leave in 3 weeks and if I don't have to go formal it will save bringing a suit along.

actually it has.On the Celebrity e-brochure,Carribean,Page97,bottomof page it says,"Smart Casual and Above.....Please note that the dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants,including Blu for Aqua Class guests is "Smart Casua land Above"for every night of your cruise.Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on formal evenings."

I printed it off and will bring it with me on my 11/6 Silhouette cruise.

Mmmm, let me think,

A thousand dollars suit without a tie, mind you, or a 20$ goodwill shop tux as suggested in many of the threads...

Sorry I thought we were talking about dressing up for dinner, not prom night.

I know what I just wrote sounds outrageous, not more however than many of the postings I read this weekend. Blu is small, intimate, elegant, people dress accordingly. That was my experience last year. There is no need for such expression of outrage and cookie cutter approach to appropriate dining attire.

My opinion, that's all.

YAY!!!

Just got back on CC after a week or so off, and this was the first thread I jumped on. Best news I've heard in a LONG TIME! I don't have to find room for a jacket!

Gonna go do a hillbilly jig down the hall... :D

Great, "smart casual & above" for specialty restaurants and Blu. Even though I own a tux and used it on many cruises, ever since we've been on O and A with "country club casual" dress at all times, I've grown accustomed to nice casual without a coat. I wear a coat and tie many days at work so it's refreshing not to have to dress up on a cruise, especially since our next one is to Alaska (casual) and we're now paying for baggage on the airlines. Good move X! Of course those who want to dress up are free to do so. Those offended by the change should visit a few fancy restaurants or attend a Broadway play to see how others have become more casual in dress.

actually it has.On the Celebrity e-brochure,Carribean,Page97,bottomof page it says,"Smart Casual and Above.....Please note that the dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants,including Blu for Aqua Class guests is "Smart Casua land Above"for every night of your cruise.Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on formal evenings."

I printed it off and will bring it with me on my 11/6 Silhouette cruise.

Hi-- But it's only worded that way in the Caribbean e-brochure. The wording is different in the Europe and Exotic e-brochure and makes no mention of Blu being "smart casual and above" on formal nights

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but maybe the policy is different depending on where you cruise. I wish Celebrity would clarify what the correct dress code is; if formal dress is required to eat in Blu on formal nights, I'll bring a suit.

I hope that now that there are so many clear options for those that do NOT wish to dress in "cruise formal" , Celebrity will put a little enforcement behind the dress code in the main dining room. I would hate to lose the overall ambience that has existed on Celebrity for so many years.

This way, there will still be something for everyone.

Hi Everyone,

I spoke with a Celebrity contact this afternoon. He reiterated everything stated in the past few posts, that BLU is Smart Casual "and above" all nights of your Cruise. Of course, if you wish to dress in formal attire, it will be welcomed at BLU.

Based on the previous posts, and my conversation, I'm fairly confident that for those who do not wish to dress formally, the Smart Casual rule applies. This is not the definitive word, but I am trying my best to provide information to our community. If I hear anything further, I will post on this thread.

I hope this is helpful !

Andy-- Anything new. I keep getting no confirmation from Celebrity on the change.

I look at it this way, at least now if someone asks what the dress code in Blu is, then the answer can be just "smart casual." After a few months nobody will be commenting just like very few people comment now about jeans.

Actually, Don, I think the correct answer will be "smart casual and above", so that people understand that they are welcome to wear "dressier" apparel if they choose to do so.

My comment is not about starting an argument, rather about being "informationally correct". If someone asks you what the dress code is, and you say "smart casual", that gives a different message than if you say "smart casual and above", which indicates that smart casual is the lower end of the dress code continuum.

Actually, Don, I think the correct answer will be "smart casual and above", so that people understand that they are welcome to wear "dressier" apparel if they choose to do so.

My comment is not about starting an argument, rather about being "informationally correct". If someone asks you what the dress code is, and you say "smart casual", that gives a different message than if you say "smart casual and above", which indicates that smart casual is the lower end of the dress code continuum.

I agree with your statement however I have spoken to someone who believes that "smart casual and above" is interpreted by them as mandatory formal on formal nights. That is not what is meant by smart casual and above based on two years experience in the specialty restaurants...

Maybe I'm being a little too "tight-wad" about it, but my plan is to take a copy of that page of the brochure to Blu on the first formal MDR night when we go this December. That way, if it turns out the crew is "unaware" of this change (or if it varies from ship-to-ship), I don't think they can challenge the new dress code if it's there in writing from a Celebrity brochure. So they don't make me wear an old, greasy jacket.

I agree with your statement however I have spoken to someone who believes that "smart casual and above" is interpreted by them as mandatory formal on formal nights. That is not what is meant by smart casual and above based on two years experience in the specialty restaurants...

It might have been clearer if they used the disjunctive rather than the conjunctive.

Don,

Which itineraries have you been on in the last two years and what were the length of your cruises? We find a big difference in what people do depending on the length of and destination of our cruises.

I absolutely agree that there is a difference in length and destination and how people dress but that has nothing to do with the point I was making. I was told by an individual that his definition of "smart casual and above" is on smart casual nights you dress smart casual and on formal nights you dress formal even in the specialty restaurants. He also stated that this is how you dress in the theater. This is clearly not the definition and the experience I was referring to was past practice on Celebrity in the specialty restaurants by myself and just about everyone on this board. I am not talking about what you or I do, I was simply defining something.

I absolutely agree that there is a difference in length and destination and how people dress but that has nothing to do with the point I was making. I was told by an individual that his definition of "smart casual and above" is on smart casual nights you dress smart casual and on formal nights you dress formal even in the specialty restaurants. He also stated that this is how you dress in the theater. This is clearly not the definition and the experience I was referring to was past practice on Celebrity in the specialty restaurants by myself and just about everyone on this board. I am not talking about what you or I do, I was simply defining something.

I was also referring to what almost everyone does and there is a wide variance between short Caribbean cruises and almost any other itinerary, especially on longer cruises.

Archived