Blu dress code - change

Albert Ross

Seems funny that they are charging people more money in the AQ cabins to be able to dress more casually. Usually you expect the more expensive/fancy accommodations would require more formal dress.

I am sailing on the Silhouette in a few weeks and would have definitely sprung for the extra money for an AQ cabin even though I don't want the spa perks just to be able to not wear a suit 3 nights in the dining room.

It's the way it is with cruiselines though... the premium and luxury lines are smart casual and above every night.. other than a few holdouts like Crystal, they've all dropped Formal Nights. Mainstream lines just haven't seemed to have gotten the message.

Just because Blue no longer has formal nights it does not mean you cannot dress formally, if you so desire. Yes, it is my vacation and if I want to dine in casual clothing I should be able to. This in no way affects you or how you choose to dress. Actually, I think we should be able to use the dining room in shorts and jeans. Depending on your cabin, room service may be limited. As for the buffet, why should I be made to get my own food and then possibly not find a table just because I choose not to be formal. As long I am clean and my clothing is clean, what should it matter. Cruise line prices have come down considerably over the years and this means more of us "common folk" can afford to cruise. Sorry, but people like me will continue to cruise and push for totally casual dining. Hopefully one day my many letters to various cruise lines will pay off.

The perfect example of the next dress code argument.

Yes, the people on those lines seem to actually know what smart casual means. It will be interesting to see if all the new Celebrity cruisers do.;)

I think you are spot on here. I was on Azamara last month which brands itself between premium and luxury and has a smart casual and above and no formal nights policy. It had a generally older and more well travelled mix of passengers and everyone was dressed smartly. I saw many jackets and ties in the MDR. I fear that giving an inch and taking a mile would be the interpretation for some on the larger and demographically wider Celebrity ships.

Phil

Just because Blue no longer has formal nights it does not mean you cannot dress formally, if you so desire. Yes, it is my vacation and if I want to dine in casual clothing I should be able to. This in no way affects you or how you choose to dress. Actually, I think we should be able to use the dining room in shorts and jeans. Depending on your cabin, room service may be limited. As for the buffet, why should I be made to get my own food and then possibly not find a table just because I choose not to be formal. As long I am clean and my clothing is clean, what should it matter. Cruise line prices have come down considerably over the years and this means more of us "common folk" can afford to cruise. Sorry, but people like me will continue to cruise and push for totally casual dining. Hopefully one day my many letters to various cruise lines will pay off.

Hmmmmm...my only concern is "What's next?"...pushing for hot dogs and beans with a side of Kraft Mac and Cheese over a bed of fried pork rinds on the MDR menu?

Hmmmmm...my only concern is "What's next?"...pushing for hot dogs and beans with a side of Kraft Mac and Cheese over a bed of fried pork rinds on the MDR menu?

Why not...if the customers don't care, why should the cruiseline? As long as it's cheap and casual anything goes. I can't imagine they'll be serving gourmet food to a shorts and t-shirt dinner crowd.

Archived