forgive me carnival for i have strayed

catmech007

after 17 carnival cruises i have decided to try ncl, just booked the spirit out of nola for nov. 27, what can i expect?

Can't comment on the Spirit specifically...however, having cruised both Carnival & NCL, I can attest that there's much to be loved on NCL. :). My experience on the little old Majesty...a New Year's Eve cruise, and my recent Gem cruise were both fabulous. The Dawn cruise not so much...:(...but I think it was a fluke.

The NCL anytime dining is a plus. The ships & the crews are fabulous.

Have a great cruise!

after 17 carnival cruises i have decided to try ncl, just booked the spirit out of nola for nov. 27, what can i expect?

Once you go Freestyle, you might not go back!;) You'll love being able to pick your MDR and when you eat. :D I never sailed the Spirit but I have the Pearl (I think they are the same class ship - they look similar) and loved. It's now my first favorite ship. :D:D

Once you go Freestyle, you might not go back!;) You'll love being able to pick your MDR and when you eat. :D I never sailed the Spirit but I have the Pearl (I think they are the same class ship - they look similar) and loved. It's now my first favorite ship. :D:D

The NCL Spirit is a sister ship to the Superstar Virgo. She was originally named Superstar Leo. She was transferred from Star Cruises to Norwegian. Weighs in at 76853 tons

The NCL Pearl is a sister ship to the Gem, Jewel, Jade, Star and Dawn. Weighs in at 93500 tons.

The biggest difference is a class distinction depending on the type cabin you have booked. NCL has a better sailaway party. NCL officer staff are seen amongst the passengers. CCL they tend to hide in the crew areas between official functions.

NCL has higher drink and bingo prices. Bedding I found to be better on CCL.

You will get FOUR ports of call versus just three with CCL.

Gratuities are higher on NCL at $12pp per day.

I've also been on 17 Carnival cruises & 1 NCL cruise - the Jewel, as well as cruises on other lines. I am counting the weeks until I go on the Epic. I found our cabin to be smaller on the Jewel than a similiar category cabin on Carnival. Don't know if all NCL ships do this but a cute thing NCL had was the design on hallway carpet outside the cabins had the fish swimming towards the front of the ship so you easily knew if you were walking forward or aft.

I felt the food was overall better on Carnival, however, this is subjective. Buffets in a.m. & lunch about equal, with Carnival having the edge for me. We ate once at Cagneys & that was delicious. More casual atmosphere than Carnival's specialty steakhouse, which for me was a plus. This time we're going to a few more times with specialty restaurants for dinner.

The Jewel had a really nice varied selection of entertainment. Always seemed like something going on from early evening until night. I almost found it hard to work in dinner! NCL definately gets the points in this area.

I liked NCL's sailaway party.

People seem to love the freestyle dining. I'm still not totally sold. The flexibility has its plus, but I like having the same waiter each night. NCL felt a bit more like I was in a restaurant...took order, delivered food, & that was it. Not quite as personal service.

I'm sure you'll have a great vacation & it is nice to try a different line. Even if something is good, it gets predictable after a while.

The Spirit is an unique Ship in the NCL line, LOVED LOVED IT, enjoy NOLA pre and post cruise, well we were there in good weather (hot hot but doable).

No idea what cabin you booked, we have booked ATF Penthouse suites before, (lowest category in the NCL suite line with the extra perks) the Spirit Suite was EXCEPTIONAL, same category but very much more room with a bathroom, jacuzi tub, walk in shower all looking out to the Ocean. As I said this Ship is unique not like all the others (which are great also). Hope you enjoy, we sure did!!

You can expect a great time!!!

You will find the Spirit smaller than most CCL ships (that is Spirit class or ships like Conquest, Freedom, Victory, Glory)

Cabin will be smaller than Carnival but adequate. Balcony smaller as well but it works. You're not in your cabin all the time so they are just fine!

Crew on NCL is just as good, if not better, than CCL. Does not matter what crew member walks past you, they always acknowledge you and ask how is your day.

No bad cruises for me either on NCL or CCL, will do either one again in a heartbeat.

Enjoy your cruise!

The Spirit was also my first NCL stray from Carnival.

5 NCL cruises later, they have won my heart and are now my first choice when booking a cruise :)

Wow, 17 with Carnival. My Mary and I have been on 6 Carnival Cruises. 1 - Sensation, 2 - Triumph, 2 - Miracle and 1 - Freedom. The last trip this Summer (Freedom) left us feeling we needed a change. The first 5 were great, Freedom was a bit different so we shopped a new venue. Looking forward to our First NCL very soon on EPIC. We will write back after to let you know how different it is.

We also have been on RCCL & Princess, loved those as well.

Archived