Been a while since I cruised and Im new to Princess. What do I need to know?

lucywestie

A short time ago I posted a thread about the difference between the Celebrity Century and the Sapphire. Well there weren't that many posts but between those and my TA we switched from a 19 day b2b on the Century [sept 2012 Alaska/West Coast] to the 14 day b2b on Sapphire [similar itineary, same time of year].

Our first and only cruise was back in 2007 on board the Serenade of the Seas. Had a blast, loved the feel of the ship etc etc. I did a ton of research before going so that we didn't feel overwhelmed when we got on board [tipping, drinks and dining etc].

Anyway, we are doing virtually the same cruise again but with Princess and Im wondering what can I expect from Princess. Have things changed much since cruising in 2007? Im not worried about food quality as thats just all subjective. We liked the idea of the Sapphire because of the huge refurb that is about to occur. Century only has one real extra dining venue [Murano's] whereas Sapphire is getting what seems to be a whole bunch of exciting places.

Im sort of aware of the new tipping practices about amounts being added daily to your onboard account. Before we tipped in cash. Can this still be done? i.e. first day on board cancel the automatic tipping then pay cash halfway through and at the end. Dont want to start a tipping war as I accidentally started that on Celebrity. But I prefer cash and we don't plan to eat in the main dining room. Just buffet and the other restaurants.

[and Im aware that the staff do sometimes work in other areas of the ship]

We have a midship inside cabin on the Aloha deck reserved. Its under the pool but as its an Alaska itinerary out TA [who is an extremely experienced cruiser] said that this shouldn't be an issue on this trip.

As we are doing a b2b will we have to depart the ship in Vancouver and then reboard? Will our onboard account have to be settled inbetween trips? Also, Im going to assume that even though they ask for a credit card to secure the account, I can put a large cash amount down when I get on board [we put $500 on our first cruise and topped it up as necessary]

Also, the self serve laundromattes on board. How efficient are they? By that I mean, do they do a good job of getting your clothes clean or do your clothes come out with weird stains and extra socks!?

We are experience land based travellers, been to lots of places and just like to relax, we never plan to much in advance for excursions and trips. We are also beer and the occasional cocktail drinkers, like our steak and Italian food but not so much the style of food where they pile it 5 inches high in the middle of your plate and call it art [and its costs about as much as a small Picasso anyway!]

So Im thinking from my research that Princess is the way to go for this cruise. I know that you are all Princess fans, but what can we look forward to on this cruise? What will we find different?

Bit rambling I know, but it covers a bit about ourselves and what we like

Cheers

Pete

A short time ago I posted a thread about the difference between the Celebrity Century and the Sapphire. Well there weren't that many posts but between those and my TA we switched from a 19 day b2b on the Century [sept 2012 Alaska/West Coast] to the 14 day b2b on Sapphire [similar itineary, same time of year].

Our first and only cruise was back in 2007 on board the Serenade of the Seas. Had a blast, loved the feel of the ship etc etc. I did a ton of research before going so that we didn't feel overwhelmed when we got on board [tipping, drinks and dining etc].

Anyway, we are doing virtually the same cruise again but with Princess and Im wondering what can I expect from Princess. Have things changed much since cruising in 2007? Im not worried about food quality as thats just all subjective. We liked the idea of the Sapphire because of the huge refurb that is about to occur. Century only has one real extra dining venue [Murano's] whereas Sapphire is getting what seems to be a whole bunch of exciting places.

Im sort of aware of the new tipping practices about amounts being added daily to your onboard account. Before we tipped in cash. Can this still be done? i.e. first day on board cancel the automatic tipping then pay cash halfway through and at the end. Dont want to start a tipping war as I accidentally started that on Celebrity. But I prefer cash and we don't plan to eat in the main dining room. Just buffet and the other restaurants.

[and Im aware that the staff do sometimes work in other areas of the ship]

We have a midship inside cabin on the Aloha deck reserved. Its under the pool but as its an Alaska itinerary out TA [who is an extremely experienced cruiser] said that this shouldn't be an issue on this trip.

Please consider leaving the autotips on. If you remove them the room steward and waiter that you do tip are obliged to put the cash tips into the pool and they then get MUCH less tip. We just leave the auto tip in place and give the room steward an extra tip at the end. With autotips in place he can keep that.

As we are doing a b2b will we have to depart the ship in Vancouver and then reboard? Will our onboard account have to be settled inbetween trips? Also, Im going to assume that even though they ask for a credit card to secure the account, I can put a large cash amount down when I get on board [we put $500 on our first cruise and topped it up as necessary]

I assume you will need to reboard. Info will be delivered to your room. Your cash plan is fine.

Also, the self serve laundromattes on board. How efficient are they? By that I mean, do they do a good job of getting your clothes clean or do your clothes come out with weird stains and extra socks!?

Launderettes are fine $2.00 per load wash or/and dry. They are located on most decks. Last cruise it was at the opposite end of the ship from our cabin, but when we checked the deck plans there was one just one deck down below our cabin. Pursur or cassino have change.

Sometimes the ship's laundry has a special of All you can fit in a bag for $20.

Turnaround day would be a good time to use the machines.

We are experience land based travellers, been to lots of places and just like to relax, we never plan to much in advance for excursions and trips. We are also beer and the occasional cocktail drinkers, like our steak and Italian food but not so much the style of food where they pile it 5 inches high in the middle of your plate and call it art [and its costs about as much as a small Picasso anyway!]

So Im thinking from my research that Princess is the way to go for this cruise. I know that you are all Princess fans, but what can we look forward to on this cruise? What will we find different?

Bit rambling I know, but it covers a bit about ourselves and what we like

Cheers

Pete

I think you will like Princess. We love the International Cafe and Vines. Often we do not even get to the specialty restaurants. Love the food and service in the MDR. I think you should try it!

Enjoy your cruise!

I agree with Liz, leaving on the autotip is the best option. It eliminates the hassle of tipping the last night. It is also simplest for the people you will be tipping. If you take off the autotip, they will be called in and asked what they did to upset you. Also, when they get the cash, they will have to put it into the pool.

I think that you will enjoy your cruise with Princess. It is a lovely cruiseline.

Do try the main dining room at least once. It is a great experience, and I think the food is a bit better there.

As far as the auto-tips are concerned, I agree with the other posters. Do consider leaving them in place. It is difficult on the crew when they are removed.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

You should have no trouble using cash to pay your bill on the ship. The night before the end of the first cruise, you will receive a package with all the info you need for the turnaround day. The laundry works well. You can purchase detergent in the laundry room but I take along the 3 in 1 laundry sheets for doing any laundry I might do. I agree with the other posters that you should consider the dining room for at least one dinner. Enjoy your cruise!

As we are doing a b2b will we have to depart the ship in Vancouver and then reboard? Will our onboard account have to be settled inbetween trips? Also, I'm going to assume that even though they ask for a credit card to secure the account, I can put a large cash amount down when I get on board [we put $500 on our first cruise and topped it up as necessary]

You will have a seperate cruise card for each segment. The card for the second segment will be delivered to your cabin the last evening of the first segment.

You will need to get off (without your luggage) a short time in order to possibly go through immigration and then immediately reboard using the cruise card for the 2nd segment and having the card validated (with picture taken) as you reboard.

Of course if you wish you can get off the ship anytime after disembarking is allowed if you wish to tour or do other activities on shore. If you wish to do this, you cannot reboard until disembarkation has been completed for all departing passengers, usually between 10 and 11 AM.

Your account can be carried over to the end of the second segment.

Actually, if you intend to pay in cash, you do not need to have a credit card. Just tell them that at check-in on shore and go to the Purser's desk onboard to put down your cash deposit. They will contact you if your deposit gets used up. Of course, there is no reason you cannot also have the credit card registered.

I preferred the autotip method. A whole lot easier on the passengers.

And even if you give them a credit card at the beginning, you can go to the passenger services desk and put cash down to pay off all or some of the bill. My hubby used some travelers cheques in this way on our last cruise.

The Sapphire is a beautiful ship.

One thing to bear in mind if you remove the autotips: those cover the staff who work in the buffet/the International Cafe, too. So if you remove them, you'll practically have to carry cash every day to tip those who help you in those spots, as it's not always the same staff there (especially true for the buffet, where sometimes at lunch, I see different face every day). The reason the autotips are so wonderful, in my opinion, is that I know everyone who is serving me is taken care of without my having to worry about overlooking that awesome waiter who went in the back to find me fat-free balsamic vinaigrette dressing one day or who brough me lemon wedges for my iced tea instead of those annoying little pinwheels. Anyway, just something to think about.

Also, re your cabin: if it's literally under a pool, it should be okay but they do wash down the decks and set out chairs even on an Alaska itinerary (I mean, not if it's snowing or something, but there can often be warm days even on this itinerary), plus there are ping pong tables and the ice cream venue where there are chairs and tables. Having heard vivid reports of the kind of noise from these areas, that's something to watch out for.

I tend to disagree with your TA. Of course, there won't be as much action by the pool on your Alaska intinerary but there could be warm days and even on cold days there could be those sitting out with blankets. The crew will still have to wash down the decks in the very early morning and set out lounge chairs. If you have the option to book an inside closer to aft on the Aloha or down another deck it might be a good idea. Just my opinion. Others may think its no problem.

Archived