med cruise takes in italy

jue

hi

I have just booked today for this cruise. Has anyone been on this one and can advise me about visiting Rome, is it easy to do without the organised tours or is it easy to get lost, as we are spending around 10 hours there, just not sure how to go about this one.

thanks jue

hi

I have just booked today for this cruise. Has anyone been on this one and can advise me about visiting Rome, is it easy to do without the organised tours or is it easy to get lost, as we are spending around 10 hours there, just not sure how to go about this one.

thanks jue

Rome is about an hours drive from the port, so the safest bet is to book an excursion. If you haven't visited before a tour would be better, and you still get a couple of hours free time, but if you book a 'Rome on your own' tour you get about 8 or 9 hours free time. It is a big city, so you will need a way of getting around. The city sightseeing bus is a good idea. It is relatively cheap, and you can hop on/off at the various points. Edit: I think you can get the train from the port to Rome, but i wouldn't want to risk missing the train back to the ship.

Lots of info about Rome ..check the shore excursion boards..We just returned from our first cruise that included Rome and the money we spent on a private tour with RomeInLimo was worth every $$..We would have been overwhelmed and lost and not nearly able to see all the highlights without them...Enjoy !!!

You will dock at Civitavecchia, about an hour drive each way from Rome. You can get a taxi or use the train service. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance on getting back in time for the ship leaving. We've visited Rome three times, twice we took RCI tours and once we arranged for a private tour. Getting around Rome, once you are there could be difficult, unless you know the city. So much to see and so little time.

If you checkout http://family.webshots.com/album/204703768KfaZBF?start=48 you can see what we crammed into our brief visit using a private tour guide. The RCI tours and the private ones were approximately the same cost. The advantage of the RCI tours was that we got a knowledgeable guide, whereas the private tour was just a driver who knew where to go and a little bit about the places we visited. When comparing prices, don't forget to include all the extras into the price of the private tour, such as food and entrance fees.

By the way, Liverpool looked really poor today, especially at the back. ManU 4evr.

First time we were in Rome we took the RCL train & city tour excursion. It was a great trip. The train was a "charter" and was delayed a bit because it is "shared" by all of the cruise lines and HA was late. However that delay meant we could see the Papal audience at the Vatican.

City tour was on an open top double decker bus and included the Vatican and lunch. It was a nice way to spend the day with a relaxing train ride back to the ship.

We've been back to Rome and done more on our own but the orientation we got from the ships excursion on our first trip was priceless.

We recommend the train/tour option. It may be a bit more expensive than the bus but we thought it was much nicer.

Hi

We were in Rome this time last year and we did it on our own - we got the train and didn't get anywhere close to missing the ship. We got off at St Mark's Square, saw the Pope's Blessing, walked to Spanish Steps and then caught the metro/underground to closer to the Coliseum...and took the train back from Termini we didn't see LOADS but we saw the parts we wanted to.

There was a really helpful thread on here on the Ports of Call board and I printed it off. I also got a really good Lonely Planet book to plan how to get about and what we wanted to see. I've tried to paste a link but it won't let me - please feel free to email if you want some of the info I gathered - just put Rome info in the subject cshepp at g mail dot com

The excursion with NCL would have been the best part of $300 but we did what WE wanted at OUR pace and spent around 50 euros for the 3 of us

We did a private tour with Fabrizio it was fabulous and we would recommend it highly. He had a guide set up at the vatican and we missed the lines everywhere. He has his own company now, he is very personable and thorough as well. all around italy tours

Been to cittivechia twice with RC, 1st time we did the train by ourself hop on of bus & saw bits my step sister wanted to see on foot. Got a train back had time to spare to be back on ship.

2nd time we went for the train & there was a derailment a few stations down from cittivechia. No trains in or out, after an hours wait my friend & I decided to head in cittivechia & wander about the shops' market. We then headed back to ship.

While were @ lunch we heard a few disappointed people say that the train station didn't re-open till 11am & they were sad to miss Rome.

If I only going to get one opportunity to see Rome i'd go via a ship tour or transport.

You should certainly look at the Port/Italy board where we have been answering this question for many years (a search would bring up hundreds of related posts. Here is the bottom line. Rome is a sprawling city which can be done on your own if you do a little homework and buy a decent guide book (many like Rick Steves). One can easily take the free port shuttle bus from the pier to the port entrance, walk 4 easy flat blocks to the train station and grab the inexpensive train into Rome. You can buy a special BIRG ticket for 9 Euros (about $13) that covers round trip regional trains to Rome plus unlimited all days use of Rome's buses and metro system.

Hank

Just wanted to add that while Rome can easily be done on your own with planning, if you have a long must-see list you may want to think about going the private excursion route. A lot depends on your interests, mobility and whether you want to see a couple of things or want to see as much as possible and be able to be driven between sites.

We stayed in Rome pre-cruise and used Rome in Limo. We hope to get back there this summer and we will definitely use them again. The day we did everything on our own, we did not see half of what we had intended.

We did a private tour with Rome In Limo. It was well worth $$. We had a private tour guide at the Vatican who happened to be an American student who went to Rome never to return to the states. She was a wealth of knowledge. I have booked Rome In Limo again for our cruise in 2012.

Some people on our cruise took the train to the city. I think that if you have a plan once you arrive in Rome you might be ok. :)

hi

thanks jue

Private transport to Rome is pretty expensive, but it is the most convenient.

Next best:

I was just in Rome for 4 days before taking a cruise out of Civitavecchia. If you go onto TrenItalia's website, you can book express trains for about $13 Euro pp from the port to Termini Station. If you take the commuter train it's less than $13 for two people, however it'll take over an hr to get there.

From Termini Station (it's the main transportation hub in Rome), you can walk or take a bus or metro to anywhere you want to go in Rome. I created my own walking tour which took about 5 hours, if you want I can send that to you. We walked Rome everyday, and it is honestly the best way to see the city.

Traffic is insane, and I can't tell you how many times I was glad I wasn't trying to see everything in a vehicle!! Subways are fine, crowded at times but fine, but boring, as there's nothing to see. We stayed at a hotel by Termini Station, and we used the metro to just get across the city to start our walk.

Rome is a big city and if you try to do it on your own in just 10 hours you will miss a lot. Best bet is to go to the Meet & Mingle boards and link up with others on your sailing who want to do a tour and then contact a private tour company. We used Rome Cabs. It is well worth it, especially if you want to visit the Vatican as they will pre-purchase entrance tickets as well as hire a private guide if you want one, and you will not have to wait in long line.

Last summer we visited Rome for the first time. We were just talking last night about how wonderful it all was. We stayed three days pre-cruise in Rome and loved it all. Here's what we did:

• Day One arrived in the AM. Settled into our hotel and just enjoyed the hotel facilities.
  • Day Two: Viator Taste of Tuscany Tour. OMG! what a beautiful day. All the arrangements were perfect. A long day, the tour was about ten hours. It was Italy just like in the movies.
  • Day Three: Rome Hop On Hop Off tour. Also very well done. Spent the morning in Ancient Rome and the afternoon at St. Peters?Vatican. If you have an extra day, each of those locations could be given a full day. HOHOs are nice because you can go at your own pace. We did have to wait sometimes as the busses were pretty full.
  • Day Four: Early morning taxi to Termini station. One hour train ride to Civitavachia, and on the Navigator by 11:00 AM

Last summer we visited Rome for the first time. We were just talking last night about how wonderful it all was. We stayed three days pre-cruise in Rome and loved it all. Here's what we did:

• Day One arrived in the AM. Settled into our hotel and just enjoyed the hotel facilities.
  • Day Two: Viator Taste of Tuscany Tour. OMG! what a beautiful day. All the arrangements were perfect. A long day, the tour was about ten hours. It was Italy just like in the movies.
  • Day Three: Rome Hop On Hop Off tour. Also very well done. Spent the morning in Ancient Rome and the afternoon at St. Peters?Vatican. If you have an extra day, each of those locations could be given a full day. HOHOs are nice because you can go at your own pace. We did have to wait sometimes as the busses were pretty full.
  • Day Four: Early morning taxi to Termini station. One hour train ride to Civitavachia, and on the Navigator by 11:00 AM

hi

we are just a day visitor and not much time, i have looked into train and where the station is by the port,, easy walking distance, hour to rome and then wanted to see some sites I know i wont see a lot but maybe some. so looking on google earth again,,, and finding where the station is in rome do you know if it terminates there? there is a bus outside it actually lots of buses so i gather they may be the hop on hop off they are red, so might go for that i want to leave rome early afternoon dread the thought of missing the boat..

thanks a lot glad you enjoyed your trip

jue

hi

we are just a day visitor and not much time, i have looked into train and where the station is by the port,, easy walking distance, hour to rome and then wanted to see some sites I know i wont see a lot but maybe some. so looking on google earth again,,, and finding where the station is in rome do you know if it terminates there? there is a bus outside it actually lots of buses so i gather they may be the hop on hop off they are red, so might go for that i want to leave rome early afternoon dread the thought of missing the boat..

jue

Termini Station is the one that has all of the transportation outside of it.

hi

jue

If I just had time for a day visit, I'd probably go for the Ancient Ruins, Coleseum, Forum etc. You'll see a lot of classic stuff in a very compact area. Probably the biggest bang for you buck, or time.

Private tours are a little expensive, but if you have a distance to cover, a time frame you are limited to, limited knowledge of the area and a ton of great sights to see, a private tour is definitely the way to maximize your time.

Another hearty vote for Rome in Limo!

One needs to do some planning when using the trains. Although Termini is the main station in Rome it is also the last stop. However, there are several other stations that might make more sense for a day tripper. For example, if you want to make the Vatican your first place to visit it actually makes more sense to get off at the S Pietro Station. Not only is this a lot closer to the Vatican (within walking distance) but for a strange reason involving the train track route through Rome, the train from Civitavecchia actually gets to the S. Pietro station around 20 minutes before it finally gets to Termini. With the BIRG ticket we mentioned earlier (this costs about 9 Euros) you will then be able to use the Metro or bus to get anywhere in the city. That being said, for those who are capable of lots of walking the best way to really enjoy Rome is to maximize your walking.

Hank

You should certainly look at the Port/Italy board where we have been answering this question for many years (a search would bring up hundreds of related posts. Here is the bottom line. Rome is a sprawling city which can be done on your own if you do a little homework and buy a decent guide book (many like Rick Steves). One can easily take the free port shuttle bus from the pier to the port entrance, walk 4 easy flat blocks to the train station and grab the inexpensive train into Rome. You can buy a special BIRG ticket for 9 Euros (about $13) that covers round trip regional trains to Rome plus unlimited all days use of Rome's buses and metro system.

Hank

LOL! This is the port..Italy board

If I just had time for a day visit, I'd probably go for the Ancient Ruins, Coleseum, Forum etc. You'll see a lot of classic stuff in a very compact area. Probably the biggest bang for you buck, or time.

You can do all of that and...stop at St. Peters if you choose..it is open 24/7 for the most part and you don't need a times tix or anything..just walk up and go thru security....there might be some crowds but you will get in..no problem...and dress conservatively..

A tour of the Vatican Museums and the Sisitne Chapel may not be doable though

Try http://www.eportreviews.com/Europe/Rome_Italy.htm

for help. We are just off AOS.

We got off ship as early as possible. Got the free shuttle bus to the port gates and got the 7.30 train. This is to beat the busses. Got off at St Pietro and walked to St Peters (5 Mins). It was only 8.40. You can't miss it. There was only a few people in sight. The couple in front of us was turned away, as the woman had a vest top on and shorts. We payed 5 Euros each and went through. It was easy. When we come come out, the crowds were amazing. The lines for Vatican Museum was huge. We decided to give it a miss and do that next time we are in Rome. We walked to Trevi and Piazza Navona and Spanish Steps and Pantheon. It was only 11 o'clock so we went to Colosseum. We then walked back to Termini. On the way, we stopped for some lunch at a streetside cafe. 2 beers and 2 panini's 8 Euro. We got the 2.30 train back to the ship. (Go to the kiosk and buy tickets for Colesseum and you don't have to queue)

One tip. Get a good street map before you go and go on google streetview. You can walk from the port gates to the station with this.

Alex

We got off ship as early as possible. Got the free shuttle bus to the port gates and got the 7.30 train.

Problem- what if you can't make it to the 7:30 train? You don't give any Plan Bs. On our last two stops at Civi you would have to run- really run- to catch the 7:30 train. This is why a private tour is such a better use of your time. It isn't inflexible like a train schedule.

Archived